Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder river 1-20-04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 3:10 am 
Daisy and I decided not to be lazy, so we headed up to Boulder river to stretch our legs a little. We left the house at noon, and got to the road end at 1:15, and were hiking at 1:30. There is a log across the road 1/4 mile from the trailhead, and I declined to try going over it, although others had done it. Any pick-up or SUV could make it, but being so close to the trailhead, I figured why risk it. We hiked in to No-Name falls, which were raging. I love this spot, maybe the easiest really nice place to get to in the wilderness. We next headed up the trail for another mile or so, and then called it quits due to impending darkness. No snow to speak of, just a few small patches. We made it back to the car at 5:30, no flashlight needed. The only other people we saw were leaving just as we originally arrived. We hiked four miles total, maybe a little more, negligible elevation gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 9:21 am 
Slug, you and pooch missed the fun part - the jack-straw blowdown, the 12 or so other trees down, including the ~54" cedar that will have to be blasted out, not cut (it's split, can't be cut). And the ultra-fun one, that fell parallel onto the trail, not across. The trail has about 20 or more trees down, most in the last 2 miles. None inhibit the hiker (we had to crawl under the big cedar - going over requires a rope-up, and neither one of us brought our rope - or the 30 foot ladder. Plus you practically need a GPS to get around the darn thing. I admit it: we were unprepared hikers and should be admonished). That trail is logged an average of 2 times a year, and with the high number always down, you wonder where they're all coming from. I guess the backcountry is like a giant Pez dispenser. Trees fall, more click into place, those fall, more click into place, trees fall, more click into place.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 9:54 pm 
I remember the tree that fell on the Walt Bailey trail last year, parallel to the trail, and what a byatch that was! I'm glad I missed this one, but I'll probably see it later in the winter anyway. This year, good winter hikes are in short supply. I plan on doing a few up Bellingham-ish way, like Oyster dome (never been) or Fragrance lake (once before).

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 10:25 pm 
Quark: I commend you for your excellent analogy. Backcountry Pez. Forest giants locking and loading. Just waiting for the next chance to pound a few hundred more tons of wood down onto our world. As a youngster, I thought a trip wasn't worthwhile unless a summit was reached......but the longer I'm at it, the more I find to appreciate on the marches in and out.
TCreekTrail
TCreekTrail

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 10:43 pm 
lopp, the photo - is that the long, long log parallel the old trail on T'some? Nice photo. god I love that place.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Jan 21, 2004 11:13 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I remember the tree that fell on the Walt Bailey trail last year, parallel to the trail, and what a byatch that was! I'm glad I missed this one, but I'll probably see it later in the winter anyway. This year, good winter hikes are in short supply. I plan on doing a few up Bellingham-ish way, like Oyster dome (never been) or Fragrance lake (once before).
Mr. Sluggo, you should have seen the number and size of all the trees downed on the Bald Mtn. Ridge trail that joins up with Walt Bailey near Bald Mtn. I worked with 3 others hand-sawing, brushing, etc. the neglected trail last summer from Beaver Plant Lk. almost to Bald Mtn. We had 3 days (we camped near the Pilchuck River's source-a malarial site biggrin.gif ) to do what we could and a lot was accomplished (not much by me biggrin.gif ). But I hate to think what the windstorms, etc. did to all our work. bawl.gif I'll have to reconnoiter that trail again this year. It's a really nice forest walk with peekaboo mtn./valley views. Interesting rock formations too. But let's keep this quiet. paranoid.gif biggrin.gif