Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 1:00 pm 
How do you define "encounter"?

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 3:51 pm 
Something involving more interaction than merely seeing each other?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
salish

salish
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 8:33 am 
Bears
I spoke with the makers of Counter Assault in Kalispell last week about their product. I was in Montana all last week and weekend and decided to pass on the bear spray, based on the warning from the manufacturer that the can had to be kept in your cooler or else it might explode in a hot car. Our plans involved spending long hours away from the car in 100 degree temps, and I didn't feel llike carting it around, so I passed on the idea. Sure as heck, we ran into a grizzly sow with two cubs. The bears were in a place they shouldn't have been, according to people I talked with. They were about 200 yards from us so we just backed down the hill. It was cool seeing my first grizzly in the wild since about 1975.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 8:41 am 
I interacted with a bear near Holden a couple years back. I was skinning him. Other than that I have not interacted with any bears.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 9:37 pm 
I dont know much about pepper spray, but I will share some advice with you. Earlier in my youth I wasnt quite as subdued as am now. I was at a "gathering" of my peers. This one guy got to drinking and within no time became 6'6" and 275. I handled his mouth, but no quicker than he flicked my hat from my head the beer flew. He quickly learned that his all his strength was false via the drinks. His g/f felt the need to mace either me or both of us. Whatever the case, we both got it pretty good. Long story short: Man who gets maced, MUST remeber to clean his hands before said man goes to the little boys room..... Thats the only advice I got for mace doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 10:42 pm 
And poison oak exposure? Similar precautions will pay even bigger dividends guys. But don't use soap and water. That's just like cleaning an oil-based paint brush with soap and water. Use alcohol wipes or a little fuel right on the hand that was exposed, BEFORE you end up spreading the poison oak oils to soft tissues that may not tolerate the solvents quite so well. rant.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
bk

bk
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 3:45 pm 
This is neither to endorse (nor condemn) the way in which in was used in this event. From a scientific usage method perspective, here's a demo of what its usage and effect may be, in what could be considered a controlled (e.g. not windy) environment. KIRO YouTube clip: Robbers sprayed with bear spray at Everett pot shop. (Still risky against guns. Was clean-up manageable?) Other discussions: 2012: Do you carry bear spray? 2015: Bear spray in the North Cascades