Forum Index > Photography Talk > Move over 300D...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 3:12 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 5:11 am 
Maybe I should have waited? bricks.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 12:05 pm 
The Pro1 is a disappointment in my mind. It would have been interesting if it had image stabilization like the Minolta A1/A2, but Canon seems to be playing catch up with Sony and Minolta right now in the sub DSLR segment. 8 MP crammed in a tiny sensor makes for noisy pictures and is driven more by marketing than sense. I can't see many people plunking down $1000 for the Pro 1 when they could get a A1, A2, F818, 300D, or D70 for similar or less money. I think the real competition for the 300D is going to be the Nikon D70.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 4:11 pm 
I dunno, I'm extremely intrigued by this one. Reading some of the posts on the dpreview forums, there's a ton of speculation going on about how it will stack up to the 300D. The CCD obviously won't stand up to the CMOS chip the 300D has, but the comparison to the F828 is iffy, because the Sony didn't have the Digic technology. Some of the preview pictures are outstanding. The CA is much lower than you'd expect. For me, the 300D killer is the lack of mirror lock, no swivel screen and no live-preview. I'd much rather plunk down a grand on a camera that doesn't need mirror lock, and has live-preview, plus comes with a 28-200mm lens. Canon is touting this one as their Powershot Flagship model, so it's gonna have to be good, not just toeing the 8mp line, if they want to retain their high credibility, but we'll see.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 5:53 pm 
Keep in mind the Minolta A1 has a tilting LCD, excellent 28-200mm lens, and no CA for less money. It one ups the Pro 1 with image stabilization (a must for shooting handheld in low light or at longer focal lengths). Hence why I think the Pro 1 is going to be a tough sell for $1000. As far as the 300D, Canon will have to re-think the lack of mirror lockup and other crippled features given the Nikon D70 isn't crippled. I would expect to see an uncrippled 300D replacement soon.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 8:25 pm 
I'm not terribly impressed with the A1. The LCD has orientation limitations - the G series LCD owns all, I'm not even gonna consider a prosumer digicam unless it's got something comprable. Plus, the A1 is significantly bulkier than the G3, and it looks like the Pro 1 may be a little smaller than the G's (width wize, the lens looks to be longer). What'll be interesting is to see how the Pro 1 does against something like the S1 / S3, since they both are supposed to have IS, and 10x zoom. The few sample images that are floating around show a fair amount of noise, and there's one that's got some really nasty CA, but they're from a pre-production model. Maybe they'll tweak it a bit before it's released. And if it ends up tanking, then I'd expect we'll see a Pro 2 within a year with IS and a better sensor.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 9:43 pm 
I've been hoping for a Pro 90 IS replacement for 3 years. The Pro 1 was supposed to be it, but unfortunately, no IS. bawl.gif Image stabilization is like the atriculating LCD - you don't realize what you're missing until you've used it. The S1 will be noisy with a 1/2.7" sensor. The lens will probably have a fair share of CA too, but the 38 mm wide angle is the biggest showstopper for me. What else don't you like about the A1? The LCD may not be as versatile, but the EVF flips up which is nice. I also like that you don't need an adapter tube to attach filters on the A1. If you usually shoot with a polarizer and would otherwise leave the tube on for convenience, the A1 becomes more compact than the Pro 1. In the end none of these cameras offer enough to entice me out of my G3. Looks like I'll just have to leave the money in the bank for now. wink.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 1:55 am 
Tom wrote:
What else don't you like about the A1? The LCD may not be as versatile, but the EVF flips up which is nice. I also like that you don't need an adapter tube to attach filters on the A1. If you usually shoot with a polarizer and would otherwise leave the tube on for convenience, the A1 becomes more compact than the Pro 1.
Mainly the fact that going from a G3 to a A1 isn't worth it, image quality wise. I'm hoping that the image quality of the Pro 1 will be good enough to make ditching the G3 a possibility (by the time I get the money, the price won't be an issue). Not placing any bets until I hear from people who've bought one tho.
Quote:
In the end none of these cameras offer enough to entice me out of my G3. Looks like I'll just have to leave the money in the bank for now. wink.gif
Pff. Yeah right, Mr buys-a-new-camera-every-six-months. hockeygrin.gif PMA ain't over yet, there'll be more new stuff announced. I'm curious about the 12D now.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 8:38 pm 
What's this "CA" you cameranerds are batting about? smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 9:42 pm 
CA = chromatic abberations = purple fringing in areas of high contrast. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Chromatic_Aberrations_01.htm

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Feb 12, 2004 10:09 pm 
Gotchya, I know the term, the CA just had me wondering, thanks.

Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 8:54 pm 
Just buy a tripod and you're golden! I'd rather have the 300D though. Actually, I'd rather have a 10D replacement.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 04, 2004 1:31 pm 
Reviews are starting to come in... http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_pro1-review/index.shtml Sounds like it's definitely out performing the Sony F828, but CA and Noise are still an issue. The shots I've seen at ISO 50 are damn near DSLR quality though. However, it looks as if Canon messed up with the lens, as there are vigenetting issues at wide zoom. That more or less is the nail in the coffen for me, guess I'll be saving for a D70 or the Pro2 when it comes out (hopefully with a non-Sony CCD).