Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Feb 14, 2004 10:06 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 12:36 am 
Breakfast = coffee, tea, or hot jello for the liquid. If you have never tried hot jello then you must! Any flavor will do but cherry is the best! Then instant oatmeal, a bagel with squeeze cheese, or a cup O noodle. I know a cup O noodle for breakfast! But hey it stays with you and gives energy. Lunch = Summer sausage of some sort, garlic cheese or squeeze cheese, gorp, pbj on bagels, gatorade, shot of 151 wink.gif or 105 vodka wink.gif for the sore legs of course. Dinner = first night is steak or something fresh and heavy, the rest of the trip is mountain house for lightness, although I have been experimenting with drying my own meals and then vacuum packing them and it's awesome. And you can't forget that nightcap of the hard stuff, I've put some 105 vodka in my nightly cup of hot jello before and it made the ground feel velvet soft. wink.gif Oh and last but not least is a cooler with loads of ice and pop waiting back at the car.

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Aussie

Aussie
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 9:52 am 
Another lunch option that works for longer trips is powdered hummus. Pack it in a ziploc, add water in the morning before leaving camp and mash around in the bag to mix, then pull out at lunch time with some crackers. I think the brand I use is 'casbah'.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 4:40 pm 
solohiker wrote:
YES, thanks, I knew I was forgetting something. Parmesian, macaroni and tuna casserole, it's an important backpack staple!!
Does not work mixed with heather. shakehead.gif For the first night, try a steak (beef, salmon or pork) or chicken breast. Start with it frozen and keep it frozen till you reach the trailhead. It'll just be nicely thawed and ready for grilling over an open fire when you reach camp.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 5:59 pm 
WrongBridge wrote:
Oh and last but not least is a cooler with loads of ice and pop waiting back at the car.
Definitely! up.gif I developed that habit a couple of years ago. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 6:23 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Chocolate is a must, since it is an energy-dense treat, and very compact. I try to keep weight to one pound per day, but often fail.
Wow, you bring over a pound of chocolate for each day? You & me, we must be cut from the same mold, boy - I'm going hiking with you! O wait, you probably don't share. Heck I wouldn't....So forget it.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 7:00 pm 
The problem with the cooler and ice is that it won't last for the 8-day trip we're talking about here. When I go with my dad we normally have his camper along that has a fridge and we always keep some beers cold. A couple years ago we had to drive on a road that was too rough for that rig so we brought my truck that doesn't have a fridge. So we stashed our beer and pop in a local creek. It was incredibly hot hiking out the last day and we were mortified to find my truck had been trashed by a bear. The even worse news was that someone had stolen our beers out of the creek. The pop was still there. bawl.gif

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
ltlpoppa

ltlpoppa
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 9:33 pm 
They went for the beer because it was more valuable. tongue.gif I have been taking good notes on the suggestions here. They will come in very handy when I get ready to pack up in about 3 weeks. I just found out that we are heading to Grand Gulch in Southern Ut.

WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 10:42 pm 
Can't wait to hear that trip report! Have fun! WB

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 11:27 pm 
I generally make my own instant soup concoctions and I do alot of winging it on the trail, but here's the menu from my 8 days on the PCT last summer: Day 1- lunch: landjagger (sp? a dried summer sausage), cheddar cheese, pilot bread. Dinner: 1 onion, 1 carrot, and 1/2 bell pepper sauteed till soft, add some water and freeze dried hash browns, add foil pouch chicken. Instant pudding and a sip of scotch (Lagavulin 16)for dessert. Day 2 - Breakfast: 1/2 C meusli cereal, instant milk, coffee, dried fruit. Lunch: moose goo on tortillas. Dinner: Alpine Aire freeze dried Turkey and potatoes with gravy (YUCKY! DON'T GET THIS!), instant pudding with oreo crumbs and a sip of scotch. Day 3 - Breakfast: 2 packets oatmeal mixed with nuts and milk, coffee, dried fruit. Lunch: pouch tuna mixed with packet of mayonaise and packet of relish on tortillas. Dinner: Dinner: 1/2 bell pepper cooked with freeze dried green beans, freeze dried hashbrowns and freeze dried turkey in instant sour cream sauce (pretty darned yummy). Instant cheesecake and a sip of scotch. Day 4 - Breakfast: The meusli cereal again, with coffee. Lunch: Landjager and cheddar on tortillas. Dinner: Instant tomato soup and instand split pea soup combined, freeze dried mixed veggies, instant rice, and landjager (or salami, whichever one I'm carrying). Instant cheesecake and a sip of scotch. Day 5 - Breakfast: more oatmeal, and coffee. Lunch: moose goo on pilot bread. Dinner: the same instant soup and veggie combo as day 4. poptarts and a sip of scotch. Day 6 - Breakfast: instant eggs, scrambled (mix them in a baggie and boil them), coffee. Lunch: pouch tuna mixed with mayo and relish on pilot bread. Dinner: Instant mashed potatoes mixed with Lipton onion soup (really good), landjager. carefully hoarded snickers bar and a sip of scotch. Day 7 - Breakfast: meusli cereal, coffee. Lunch: Moose goo on pilot bread. Dinner: mac and cheese, piece of landjager. Instant pudding and the last of the scotch. Day 8 - Breakfast: pancakes with powdered maple syrup, coffee. Lunch: landjager and cheddar cheese. I always carry olive oil, salt, pepper, and red chilli flakes on trips. Trail snacks are salted nuts, dried fruits, candies (jelly beans, swedish fish, gummy bears, etc...), chocolates (the "fun size" ones are an easy bite size for on-the-go nibbling). I munch throughout the day on whatever strikes my fancy. Make cooking in camp easy - I measure and combine everything at home, so all I have to do in camp is dump a baggy of stuff into boiling water. If I'm sauteeing something or doing something extra I make sure and write myself detailed instructions.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 11:45 pm 
JenJen, sip of scotch!!! (nice) wink.gif WB

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 12:50 am 
Hey, you gotta toast the sunsets with something!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 10:20 pm 
One thing I didn't see listed-my favorite lunch: Those little cans of (Starkist?) tuna salad. They come packaged in cardboard with crackers but you can leave that at home and take pita or tortillas instead.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 7:45 am 
kiliki wrote:
One thing I didn't see listed-my favorite lunch: Those little cans of (Starkist?) tuna salad. They come packaged in cardboard with crackers but you can leave that at home and take pita or tortillas instead.
That mixture makes me hurl.gif plus it's in a can.
This is much better... I like to be able to control the amount of mayo and relish. I take some mayo and relish packets and put on crackers or bread.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 3:27 pm 
The best food
A bottle of 3 Buck Chuck Merlot in a polycarbonate bottle. I was the envy of the camp in Wyoming. drink.gif up.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard