Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ozette Backpacking 2/14-15/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Feb 15, 2004 7:49 pm 
Part of the PNWH crew met up this weekend for a late winter backpack at Cape Alva. After a lengthy breakfast at the Olympic Bagel Co. in Por Angeles (the best around!) and picking up our permit and a bear canister, we headed out for the coast. We made it in 4 hours total from Federal Way. Rainrunner, Ford and me headed out to the coast and met up with Foggydew (Fogduo), her nephew Cody and D3Fold. Right after CascadeCritter and Ldyblade wandered up. Not long after we had Crwdog with his lovely wife show up, and later on 6Finger82 and his lovely girlfriend showed up. After we had set up camp, some of us headed north down the beach for more hiking. The tide was very low so it was easy hiking...and D3Fold found his 2cnd glass float of the day-a design I had never seen-a long cylinder of green-which he gave to me! He rocks! up.gif On the way back, we took the overland trail behind the many campsites, and ran across MMarsh who was camping down a distance. Had an enoyable evening, with a fire that somehow Cascadecritter coaxed to heat. It started raining hard at 7 pm so we all fled to bed. Spent a cozy evening in my tent that I paid $7 for at REI. (a 2000 Sololite) Was pleased when I woke up bonedry in the tent, unfortenley there were a few who did get wet last night. It was a really nice night with a gentle breeze, the rain and the tide rolling in smile.gif Woke up to overcast but no rain....we all packed up and said goodbye. D3Fold was seen heading down the coast south, the rest of us packed out. It did decide to rain on the way out...but it was gentle, and it was warm. An awesome weekend out, and so nice to have met 6 new forum members!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostMon Feb 16, 2004 3:19 pm 
Sounds like a fun weekend! How were the raccoons? WB

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 16, 2004 3:21 pm 
Not one seen....dang! biggrin.gif

Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 11:45 pm 
Sarbar, Sounds like a good trip. I can't imagine the Cape without all the racoons. What about the deer? Last time I was there you could pass within 20 feet of them without them even moving. Is the rusty jeep still there on the beach north of the Cape just before the last headland before the mouth of the Ozette? Scouter

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
crwdog

crwdog
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 12:24 am 
You mean these deer? Anyway, it was a great trip. Thanks to the PNWH for putting on such an awesome time. We packed the (wet) packs back to the car and hiked out to Sand Point, sorry we missed you guys after breaking camp Sunday, Sarbar! After a long 6 hour drive home, we decided it was an awesome trip. Here's hoping for another (closer) one soon smile.gif
Deer at camp, Cape Alava
Deer at camp, Cape Alava

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 7:44 am 
The deer practically bedded down with us! biggrin.gif There were a lot of 'em,