Forum Index > Trip Reports > L.T. Murray-Roza Cr.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 10:06 am 
Roza Creek and its numerous canyons and gullies drains the area east of Durr Road to the Yakima R. and between N and S Umptanum Ridge. Durr Road was driveable in the morning, once past Cottonwood Creek the snow is packed down hard so I was able to drive out to where I could drop off down into the Roza. The first half mile or so, I wished I had brought my snowshoes, but I was able to reach some S facing hillsides and made my way down in the drainage-there's still fairly deep snow up to 18 inches plus in some spots. Before I dropped into the Roza, I spotted elk in the distance up on the S-facing side of the N. Umptanum, so I decided to see if could get closer. The southern side of the canyon bottom was mostly snowfree so I used it to go down further into the drainage-you can go all the way to the Yakima R where it open up into a big plain; a lot of wildlife winters there. I passed over about the first set of fresh tracks I'd seen that day, then came over the top of small rise and nearly walked into a 5 x 6 bull elk-I could have literally reached out and touched him. Surprisingly, he didn't run off but we played an interesting game of me trying to quarter around him, then he he'd run out in front of me about 50 yards or so and we'd play the game again. After about 15 minutes or so he headed off down the creek but I would seem him again. Above Walnut Spring I spotted 5 elk lying on one hillside and another 7 on another. Using the ground, I was able to get within about 500 yards of both groups, then hunkered down behind some sagebrush and spend about a half hour or more glassing them-they were all branch anterlered bulls. During that time, the bull I jumped earlier moseying up the ridge and joined the group of 7. I dropped off the ridge and lunched at Walnut Spring, enjoyed a fire and a couple of pots of coffee. Around 10:30 or so, a wet snow started to fall in earnest-it had spit a little all morning, but now it got serious. I climbed up out of the drainage in the snowstorm and got pretty wet in the process, the last half mile or so was a slog through the snow, about two inches had fallen on my truck be the time I got to it...and the road had turned into a quagmire. That's a thing to remember about Durr Road is that it is a dirt road and I've seen dust a foot thick on it in the summer, snow melt and serious rainfall turn it into serious mud.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 10:03 am 
Great trip Dslayer! I'd of loved to see the road conditions you left on---I was actually pretty amazed you were able to get in there in the first place. But then again I need to remember you come in from south which I've never done since I come in from the quicker access from my side via the north. I'd never drive down into Umtanum Canyon in winter from that side smile.gif I have always known Roza Creek was a wildlife magnet and thanks for verifying that for me. I like the area by Walnut Springs.

salish

salish
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 11:07 am 
Dslayer, This is a great trip report. It really makes me want to head over there. I usually bail out of that country at the end of upland season, usually around Jan. 20th each year, but I think I'm going to zero in on a hike in that area this spring. Maybe we can make that hike to that lake you were telling me about. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 2:37 pm 
Alan-I agree with you completely about Walnut Springs. I've fantasized about building a cabin above the Springs since I first laid eyes on that area around 30 years ago. Of course, the best thing about the Springs and the entire area out there is that it is vitually roadless and entirely unihabited. Durr Road from Ellensburg is impassable right now and will be for a while-there's a lot of snow up on the upper ridge. There's an old jeep road near the waterfall that some guy drove a Cherokee down into about 25 years ago-that jeep spent the winter in the bottom of the canyon. My favorite walk in there is to park on Durr Rd. near the old water tank-about where the road comes closest to the Rosa drainage-the walk off the hillside into the drainage-you can walk that all the way to the river if you want-or go up on any of the ridges and walk down those. It's a spectacular wildlife area. Cliff-we've been talking about this for two years and we're just going to have to do it sometime. I heard, didn't see, a bunch of chukars last weekend to but I didn't see any quail-maybe they've moved down closer to the river, too--I did hear numerous coyotes so the birds are probably getting harassed by them, too. By April, a guy could probably make it and out of there pretty easily and the road may be dry enough by then, too, to take the adventure out it. Maybe.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 7:40 pm 
I've always wanted to check out this area in winter, but Yak Cyn Rd is sometimes icy, and I'm not comfy driving on ice & most o' my freinds are peak baggers and scoff at such an endeavor. Mr. Bauer is never available on wkends to squire me about this area, so alas - I sit like a wallflower with an empty dance-card.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 9:26 am 
Quark- You're right about the Yak. Canyon Road-it can be sneaky icey, too-you go around a curve that goes from sunlight to shaded and go from dry road to black ice like right now. But there are other ways to access L.T. Murray/Umptanum either from Ellensburg or from Wenas Road out of Selah that are less likely to be icey. (I-82 from Ellensburg to Selah, though, is the most dangerous part of the Seattle/Yakima drive IMO in bad weather, though) Pick a likely weekend in April and hike the Skyline Trail-this should be an awesome flower year-if you'd like precise directions let me know.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 9:50 am 
DS, I would like some other directions and will call on you in april. I have done the yak skyl trail from Durr rd, but never during flower season! I know there are other roads and am interested in exploring the area more! I love the view of roza dam from the top of yak skyl trail!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 12:04 pm 
If you know how to get to the Skyline Trail, you've got the battle won because you've been on Wenas Road which gets you to all of the jumping off points into that part of the L.T. Murray. Essentially Wenas Road goes all the way to Ellensburg, you can access it from the main drag into town and going left at the light by McDonald's. I apologize if I'm telling you stuff you already know. Let me know when you're interested in coming this way-I'm glad you interested in this area-you can pretty well tell how much I and Alan and Salish enjoy it!

salish

salish
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 12:10 pm 
Dslayer - I'll be in touch. We will definitely get to your lake this season. When does the ice melt? Never mind, I'll contact you about that. I think predation from coyotes is pretty strong, as is predation from other birds. Later Cliff Cliff-we've been talking about this for two years and we're just going to have to do it sometime. I heard, didn't see, a bunch of chukars last weekend to but I didn't see any quail-maybe they've moved down closer to the river, too--I did hear numerous coyotes so the birds are probably getting harassed by them, too. By April, a guy could probably make it and out of there pretty easily and the road may be dry enough by then, too, to take the adventure out it. Maybe.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 3:06 pm 
Good deal, Cliff. Manastash Lake usually ices off earlier than a lot of lakes at it's elevation-It's up around 5,000 feet but I've fished in there many years in early May, but last year I don't think the ice was off until after Memorial Day-given the snow and weather conditions, I'll start checking on it about the first of May and keep you updated on my progress. I hadn't thought about other birds, but there's all kinds of hawks buzzing around out in the Roza drainage, must be out there eating our quail.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Feb 19, 2004 4:50 pm 
OK Quark---we still haven't gotten over there yet but we will and maybe we'll tow Dslayer along with us. up.gif And Salish can ride over too. I want to get out and try some of Dslayer's cowboy coffee out there! smile.gif The flowers along the rim are stunning and the two times I've hiked there in the first week of May were just out of this world. Quark---if you want directions to both trailheads (south, and the one off of Durr Road north) contact me and I'll pass them on to you. Also 1-2 other places in the area to see similar flowers or good access points...enough to keep you busy from March-May in case I don't get weekend days to haul you over! There. Now I don't owe you blueberry pie any longer hockeygrin.gif Salish; Dslayer---keep me posted on your times in the areas there. You both know how to contact me. And I'll share more public land areas with you then too...areas close to the LT Murray equally as worthy..... Alan

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 9:04 am 
Alan-I'll be sure to let you know. I don't get out and about as much as I'd like to in March and April because I'm coaching a little baseball starting March 1.

Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 12:20 pm 
Ya know, for those of you concerned about driving the canyon (due to ice? never seen that much of a problem really, but..). There is always the Quilomene area. East of E'burg here, down the old Vantage Hwy, just over the crest a mile or few. There are two road entrances - somewhat rough. But parking right off the highway and hiking North gets you into a lot of what you'll see around Umtanum. But there are lots of the cactus blooming in early spring, in addition to the other wildflowers. We take our horses back there and its an awesome sight when you catch the cactus in bloom! Just thought I'd pass that along as another Central Wa option. Hope to see some of you folks out around the Umtanum, LTMurry or Quilimene areas some time. I'm the guy with the old blue pack and two mismatched, blue and silver, bent up ski poles. I might even be carrying a "Will work for New Gear" sign one of those times. Mike

Take a kid hiking... It'll make a World of difference! Kittitas County Search & Rescue - Backcountry Ground Team Leader
salish

salish
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 1:34 pm 
Mike - thanks for the info. I routinely hunt chukar in the L.T. Murray, Oak Creek, and Quilomene areas in the fall/winter. Agree with you on the Qilomene. I go to both entrances, but the rough "jeep" road NE of Kittitas is my favorite one. That's a whole 'nother world up there. Just stunning country. I'll look for you. Alan - I'd love to hike with you guys up there sometime. Cliff

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 1:49 pm 
I'll be looking for you! You know what I miss-since you're an Ellensburg guy you'll know what I'm talking about-the swinging bridge at Wymer in the Canyon. It was about at that spot when I was around 12 or so, that we damn near were killed in a wreck-just missed being in a head on with a pickup that swerved out of our lane at just the last minute and rolled off the road. Incredibly, the 3 guys in the pickup weren't hurt-this was back in the good old days when the Canyon Road was the only road between Yakima and E-burg.