Forum Index > Trip Reports > L.T. Murray-Roza Cr.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 2:42 pm 
salish wrote:
Mike - thanks for the info. I routinely hunt chukar in the L.T. Murray, Oak Creek, and Quilomene areas in the fall/winter. Agree with you on the Qilomene. I go to both entrances, but the rough "jeep" road NE of Kittitas is my favorite one. That's a whole 'nother world up there. Just stunning country. I'll look for you. Alan - I'd love to hike with you guys up there sometime. Cliff
Heh, yeah, we might have passed each other a time or two in those chukar draws then. I head that way for some birds when work gets a little dull. I do the same 'jeep' routes you're talking about as well. Love driving those gut banger roads down toward the river - long slow drives but lots of hikes with no one around too! Ooooops, did I say that out loud. dangit! winksmile.gif

Take a kid hiking... It'll make a World of difference! Kittitas County Search & Rescue - Backcountry Ground Team Leader
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 2:46 pm 
Dslayer wrote:
...the swinging bridge at Wymer in the Canyon....this was back in the good old days when the Canyon Road was the only road between Yakima and E-burg.
I can vaguely remember such a bridge from some time back. But I might as well be considered a transplant over here, been here for only 15 or so years. Grew up on the wet side - but the family always seemed to be over here. Quite an incident with the truck rollover story! Yow! Mike

Take a kid hiking... It'll make a World of difference! Kittitas County Search & Rescue - Backcountry Ground Team Leader
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:05 pm 
The bridge has been gone since the late 80's, early 90's I think-I wasn't around here then either-one of the floods damaged it I believe-but I don't think it was as late as the 96 flood because I remember when I moved back here from Western Wa in 92 and wanting to cross the river and hike or fish around Wymer that the bridge was gone-It was quite a bit more of a 'swinging' bridge than the Umptanum Bridge was. You guys are intriguing me with the Quilomene. I've only been out there a couple of times.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:14 pm 
Dslayer wrote:
You guys are intriguing me with the Quilomene. I've only been out there a couple of times.
I was out there not long ago for some snowshoeing and wabbit chasin'. Its nothin but muck now, where there's no snow. Kind of a pain and cleaning the truck is less than desireable afterward. Maybe in the Spring sometime a few of us should hook up and make a run out that way. I'd be up for a little get to know each other, bash around through the brush, check out the cactus in bloom sort of day. My wife and I take the horses up that way in the spring quite a bit, I'll keep y'all posted as to when the mucks dried up a little and the cacti are lookin' all perdy 'n sh..stuff. -Mike

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:18 pm 
I've hiked the Quilomene likely a half dozen times, last being during peak wildflower season last May. I've always found the cactus blooming there by early May. But last year on May 13th they were long spent by then already. While having hiked up both access areas I've come to love heading in the east-most access. I love Rocky Coulee...... November is my other favorite time---tons of gamebirds to watch then too!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:33 pm 
There are some old homestaeds buried in the quilomene. I like to wander in the silence back there, and come across a huge rose bush, or a lilac tree that has grown unchecked for 70 years or, a wrecked fence, or a cleared area of long, lush grasses, remnants of a homesite. It seems idyllic, but I bet it was a hard life.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 3:44 pm 
Quark---but don't you like roaming silently through poison ivy too? Rocky Coulee has your ticket then if you do! Or did you leave that out on purpose? smile.gif Sure has pretty leaves even if it and poison oak (like on Horsethief Butte last April) isn't fun to dance in.....

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 4:36 pm 
Poison oak doesn't affect me. Where's my blueberry pie?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Wapiti
Hik'abili

Wapiti
Hik'abili
PostFri Feb 20, 2004 4:48 pm 
Quark wrote:
...the silence back there, and come across a huge rose bush, or a lilac tree that has grown unchecked for 70 years
Yeah, I've seen lots of these too. Makes me shake my head in wonder why they can grow so prolific out there in nowhere land, but yet the apple trees in my pasture and the lilac bush along my house rarely produce.... there's something about this human intervention versus good ol mother nature thang.

anon23bf

anon23bf
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 5:20 am 
Just to second the comments on Quilomene wildlife area: I think it's one of those hidden central-WA gems. A couple weeks ago, I did an early-morning moonlight hike -- headed north from Vantage Hwy., west along Rocky Coulee to The Pines, south to the top of Whiskey Dick Mtn., and back east. It was surreal -- the moonlight reflecting off the snow made it seem like day, especially with my shadow clearly visible. The strong winds and dense fog in Rocky Coulee made for some spectacularly illuminated eddies and wisps, but my camera was not sensitive enough to capture this very well. The dirt roads I hiked were initially covered by pristine snow, but when I returned around noon, there were tire or snowmobile tracks and oil drips. Still, it was a trip to remember. up.gif