Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB - High Clearance Vehicle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 23, 2004 3:25 pm 
I'm looking for a high clearance vehicle in the sub $10K range to complement my current grocery getter. Criteria: - Reliable - Not a POS - 5+ yrs remaining lifetime - Minimal maintenance issues - Enough room to sleep in back - More clearance than a Subaru outback If you know anyone looking to sell a vehicle fitting this criteria let me know.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Feb 23, 2004 5:16 pm 
Hmm, don't think this is what you are looking for but I think it meets most of your criteria! winksmile.gif http://www.army4x4.com/800_series.shtml

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 2:05 am 
I would suggest a Toyota Four Runner. 1984 to 1988. The Four Runner fits everyone of your points. They last forever. They get good mileage. They offer a fantastic potential for build up later. You can sleep in the back. The top comes off if you like. There are a million upgrade parts available. Everything is simplistic thus it lasts. They really do offer the best of all worlds for this application. In 1986 they sold a TURBO charged four runner. Now that baby would be one to find. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 2:10 am 
Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Everythings already done. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 10:51 am 
Hey Joe, what kind of mileage do they get? Are they more reliable than later year models. I was actually looking at early 90s 4 Runners.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 11:23 am 
We just got a new 4runner. They get slightly better milage than the old ones but are still nothing to write home about. Surprisingly the burus are not much better. The new ones (2003 0n) are more comfortable and have more room than the old. There are few SUV's that are still built on a ladder frame most are unibody and many do not even have a low range. The highlander is really a Camry stationwagon and are intended for picking up kids at the mall. I have had good experiences with Toyotas in the past with durability.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 11:37 am 
If you get a late 80's fuel injected model you can look at 20mpg. The older ones are better. They are way less complicated (read no computer) and have that great 22RE engine. I have a lot of experience with the older ones because SO MANY guys use them in the 4x4 market. They are the best platform for building a serious off road rig. No suv type vehicle (save the diesels like mine) get any MPG. You really shouldn't have high mileage as a criteria. The Toyota four cylinders are better then the six cylinders. When I had a Subaru wagon I went to Gregs auto and asked them about SUV's that they work on and they said that the Toyota six cylinder is a great motor BUT it requires head gasgets on a regular basis. That's NOT a cheap fix. If you buy a four runner with a six, make sure you get service records. Find a 1986 turbo charged four cylinder four runner and you're in like flint. TB

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 11:41 am 
Keep in mind I just want to get to trailheads, not do serious off roading.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 12:19 pm 
An old 4Runner would be my first choice in your price range. I wanted to stay under $2,500 so I got an '83 Subaru. If that might interest you, go to www.usmb.net and go to "The Older Generation of Subarus" forum. You can crank up the clearance of the early and late '80s models and put taller tires on them for 8"+ of ground clearance. If that's not enough a couple outfits sell lift kits. Mine has a 3" lift and 26 inch tires (you saw it when I picked up the snowshoes). Like Toyotas, the old Subies run for a long time and parts are cheap. They also get decent fuel economy. If you take your time and shop for a good one it should meet your requirements. - Reliable: With a little preemptive/preventative maintenance, yes. - Not a POS: Yes IMO--others may disagree lol.gif - 5+ yrs remaining lifetime: Yes - Minimal maintenance issues: Yes, particularly with a little preemptive/preventative maintenance. - Enough room to sleep in back: Yes - More clearance than a Subaru Outback: Yes

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 2:46 pm 
Quote:
Keep in mind I just want to get to trailheads, not do serious off roading
Not a problem. Just because it's the perfect platform doesnt mean you have to do anything with it. I would take the entire interior out (mostly carpet) and I'd Rhino line it. Then I'd put the seats back in. Man you could spray that thing out with a hose. You could use it for a garbage rig too. TB

dreamr

dreamr
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 3:42 pm 
I am realy fond of my ford explorer. The clearance is limited, but with a set of 50 dollar warrior shackles and a bit of tortion adjustment you can run a 32 inch tire and have as much clearance as any of the toyota's or jeep's out there. It has been extremely dependable. And though this vehicle is typically a family type of vehicle with a small amount of work they are extremely caspable offroad (rollovers are not a real issue since the 1994 model year and the firestone recalls are over). I usaually shock jeepers at 4x4 runs with the capabilities of this vehicle. Of course I am nicer to it than most are so I don't get to crazy.

dreamr, One who oftens finds themselves sitting quietly in the mists waiting for the return of a lost age.
dreamr

dreamr
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 3:44 pm 
Just read your last post BPJ. I've got to meet you someday, you sound like my kind of people. smile.gif

dreamr, One who oftens finds themselves sitting quietly in the mists waiting for the return of a lost age.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 4:01 pm 
dreamr wrote:
Just read your last post BPJ. I've got to meet you someday, you sound like my kind of people. smile.gif
dreamr, Attending one of the get-togethers is a great way to almost meet him. wink.gif A bunch of us have almost drank with him on four different occasions, and it was an absolute hoot in each case.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 4:41 pm 
Speaking of 4runners, did you ever find a driver BPJ? hockeygrin.gif

Mikey

Mikey
PostTue Feb 24, 2004 5:27 pm 
My 1991 Ford Explorer has survived some rough roads OK (I have about 180,000 miles on it; bought it new). There is an internet web site at http://www.4x4central.com/ and these folks are very helpful regarding maintenance, repairs, modifications, etc. The 1991-1992 models do not have EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and this makes the V6 engine operate more smoothly in my opinion (and avoids the problems with EGR systems). The front wheel automatic hubs are weak and need to be replaced with manual hubs such as Warn hubs. There are "zillions" of these Explorers so parts are easy to obtain and there are many used Explorers. Good luck. Mike