Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB - High Clearance Vehicle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 9:25 am 
There are many trailheads and trips that start on rough roads other than the Middle Fork. The end of lennox Creek (last time I was ther anyway) and the road to Granite Lakes (Skait Co.) are two that spring instantly to mind. Varioous "shortcuts" off logging roads also come to mind. Wile not official trailheads, I imagine they would be within Tom's requirement. I agree, though, that the majority of trailheads and jumping off points that do not require anything more than the family car...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 10:16 am 
Hey Sluggo, I know some roads in the North Cascades that you NEED a good 4x4 for. The Middle Frok isnt the only messed access road. TB doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 5:43 pm 
Don't forget old Land Cruisers. If this one in in it's advertised condition, it would meet most of your criteria. No, I don't know the owner. I have been looking for a cheap mower, and Craigs list often has good deal's

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 8:08 pm 
Thanks guys. I ended up getting this 4Runner on ebay. hockeygrin.gif Took it for a test drive and it appears to pan out as advertised, but also got an inspection contingency (in writing). Anyone have recommendations for where to get a mechanical inspection done for a reasonable price?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 8:11 pm 
If it's good, it's great. You scored, man. Congrats!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 9:56 pm 
Hmm, I'm getting cold feet as to the integrity of the seller. Check out his other auctions and note the high bidder. Here's his scheme. He initially sets the reserve high, hoping for someone to bid above it. If not, he shill bids up the price against an interested buyer (not permitted on ebay). He can't lose if he's the high bidder since he bids below his current reserve, which isn't his "final" reserve. Near the end of the auction he makes a final "bid", and lowers his reserve to $100 over that bid, hoping the interested buyer will make one more bid and meet the reserve. This sleazy tactic makes me wonder how easy it would be to get my money back if the inspection doesn't pan out. I'm thinking of requiring the inspection before paying, secured by a credit card deposit. If the inspection pans out I think I got a good deal. Or should I run, not walk away from this dealer? What do you guys think? dizzy.gif

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 10:05 pm 
Just got a flyer in the mail today, check out Eastside Subarun (116th St., Kirkland), they are having a sale of re-possessed vehicles, including 4x4's, ending 7:00 PM tomorrow. Also, I saw a used car dealer selling a late 90's model Jeep Cherokee on 522 in Bothell for $99500 during this past week.

-lol-

-lol-
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 10:14 pm 

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 10:58 pm 
My advice. If you're not comfortable with the deal....walk away. There are lots of vehicles out there that will fit your needs at a fair price. agree.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 11:15 pm 
Under 10,000 $'s your best bet is a Toyota hands down.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 11:33 pm 
Thanks, I'm comfortable with the deal, just don't trust the dealer after noticing the shill bidding. I found a local inspection service on the net that does on site inspections. Basically I want to get an inspection done before forking over any cash.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 28, 2004 11:41 pm 
I would take it to Greg's Japanese auto. They are located all over the place. Bellevue and Renton. They do PRE buy inspections regularly. They are VERY used to working on four runners too. Also, take it to the State Patrol office in east gate. They will run the vin number for you for free. They have a system that is way more comprehensive than any other system out there. Only they and the insurance companies have access to this system. Total history on the car. Ive taken three vehicles there and two of them were registered TOTALS! The dealers that I was buying from didnt even know it! You should have seen the look in the salesman's face when the state patrol officer said, "Hey, this vehicle was totalled back on so and so!" TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 29, 2004 9:23 am 
As long as you get the car checked out before paying, I think the tactics of the seller could be considered moot. Also, having a car totaled isn't always as bad as it seems. My Subaru was listed as totaled because of sheet metal damage at a time when it was old enough to be worth less than the repairs. The appraiser I had check it out said the frame was and always had been straight, that the repairs had been sheet metal only, and had been done competently. The newer the car is when totaled, the worse the damage had to have been. I have put 40,000 miles on my sub, and have had no problems related to the repair work. While having a "marked" title makes the car worth less than a clean title, as long as that discount is reflected in your buying price, you won't be ripped off if you then decide to sell it later, because you will get less for it but you will have paid less for it. Any seller might rip you off if you let him. Let the condition of the car be your guide.

Duncan

Duncan
PostSun Feb 29, 2004 9:31 am 
Tom, I've got a 95 4runner that I've had for about two and a half years. Been happy as hell with it. You won't be disappointed.

Dante

Dante
PostSun Feb 29, 2004 11:35 am 
I take our Sienna to Bellevue Automotive on NE20th/Northup in Bellevue. They are generally cheaper than the dealer and Greg$ (although much to my surprise the 60K service special advertised by the dealer right when I needed it was cheaper cool.gif ). The shop is very professionally run and most of the mechanics are ASE certified. Worth a look. Before I found Bellevue Automotive, I shopped around. Back then, Gregs wanted more for scheduled maintainance than the Toyota dealers.