Forum Index > Photography Talk > Archos GMini 220
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Mar 09, 2004 12:35 pm 
Check out the review of the Archos GMini 220 at MobileMag.com. http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C2564/ It can be used to archive full CF cards while you're on the road as well as an MP3 player for hooking up to the 60 pound set of speakers Treewalker lugged up the trail for afterhours musical entertainment. wink.gif At 6 ounces and 2/3 the footprint of a 3.5" floppy disk, even the lightweight backpacker might be tempted to bring it along. Battery life is a bit short for my tastes, but it looks like a fine companion to the traveller who has access to power outlets from time to time. I can imagine travelling around Europe with this device in tow -- music for the long train rides, easy archive for my CF cards, etc.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 10, 2004 12:27 pm 
Well, aside from being a tad expensive, if it uses AA batteries, then battery life shouldn't be an issue.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 10, 2004 1:10 pm 
I figure prices will drop as production increases and they recoup their R&D costs. As the review states, it'd be a much more useful device with a color LCD screen...as it is, unless a picture has obvious issues with lighting, focus, or motion blur, you're not going to be able to "review pictures" and delete the bad ones. I'm just a big fan of consolidation...less gadgets to drag around, keep track of, avoid damaging, etc. And I see an obvious need for people who will be away from their computers for long stints and needing a way to recover the space on their expensive, large Compact Flash cards. This device seems noticeably smaller/lighter than other products in this category and includes the ability to be used as an MP3 player to boot. Woohoo! Easy photo archiving and the comfort of home to boot! Will I be buying one? Nope...not yet, as I don't have the need, but perhaps...someday...I'll pick up one of it's successors.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 10, 2004 9:30 pm 
Wanting a cheaper option? Try this. $129 for the 20gb photo archive... A mail-in $30 rebate brings the total price to $99.

dayhiker

dayhiker
PostMon Apr 12, 2004 12:31 pm 
Good Battery Life
I bought the 220 (smaller with bigger display) but the 120 costs less so that might be a better choice. I think the Archos actually wins out over most other units I compared because of its battery life! I think you can download 11GB on a single charge according to a forum on dpreview. Much better than iPod with adding attachments for photos. I forget the names of the other units like this that were compared. The screen is not useful for viewing only for comfirming download. The one weakness I heard of after I bought the Archos is the battery may not be replaceable.