Forum Index > Gear Talk > Why I HATE REI - Arrgh!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 7:12 pm 
Rich Baldwin wrote:
I also miss the creosote smell.
Me too. Maybe creosote withdrawals fuel my negative feelings toward the ol' co-op (that and their "losing" me after I failed to shop there for several years--it'd be kinda cool if I still had the number I got in 1970).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 10:11 pm 
Just curious, but does REI retire your number if you've been absent for X years? (I'm only 5 digits, but it seems that the old interest about the "lowest number" seems to have disappeared in recent years.)

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 11:33 am 
I don't know. All I know is I stopped shopping at REI after they wouldn't let me exchange the Leatherman with the broken can opener when I was a teenager. After High school I spent three years in the Army and a few more years in college and grad school before I shopped there again. When I went back they couldn't find me. I only think it might be kind of cool to have my old number because last time I was at REI the clerk said I had a pretty low number even though it's over 671,000. Until then I'd pretty much forgotten about them losing me.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 12:26 pm 
As I understand it the numbers are permanent if you can provide info to find yours. I lost my card when I was shopping a lot at Wilderness Sports before REI had an Eastside store, didn't have it for years, and customer service recovered it in a minute or two. I don't have a paticularly low number, it's 6 digits I think, but an old girlfriends dad had #517 I think it was. They always ask him for the rest of it when he buys something, and look surprised when he says "no, that's it". He's a cool guy who knew the Starks well and always has some good stories.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:12 pm 
Maybe the people who tried to find my original number didn't know what they were doing. I remember standing in front of the customer service desk for quite a while. I didn't have the old card or the number. All they had to go by was my name. They found my dad's number, my uncles and my grandpas, but not mine. I can't complain, they finally just gave me a new membership for free. I don't hate REI. The slick new store(s) just can't compare with my childhood memories of the funky old one...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:51 pm 
God I miss the old store. I miss the barrels of wood shafted ice axes in the nook off to the side between the creaky stairs to the second floor and the tunnel to the newer section. I miss Jansport frame packs hanging from the ceiling, baskets of Goldline rope, and the distinctive creosote smell. I miss scrawny stinky hippies with legs corded like draft horses giving me the best advice on boots and gear. WAAAAAA!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:58 pm 
Meeee toooo. I didn't hate REI before the new store. I got a little frustrated with them from time to time, but never pissed off. Miss that smell. Remember when I was a little kid and you could still ride in the freight elevator. That was COOL. cool.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostThu Jan 31, 2002 4:33 pm 
I miss the way the store seemed to just keep going. And I miss the bargain attic or whatever it was called. I always headed there first. The new store might have one but I haven't noticed it.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 6:24 pm 
Oh the ways of the people...... I used to work at REI Corporate Headquarters. (I left 1.5 years ago and was there for 6 years.) Yes lowly me. I knew the financial ways of upper management and their goals.....and you can see the result of those goals in how the inventory is done and the way it is operated......I loved that place when I was first there several years ago...... There were many reasons why I left. One of the reasons I left was becuase they had abandoned all desires as to why people came to REI. Their main focus was "profitability". This "profitability" was echoed in several email memos sent out to all employees in my last few months there as senior management took a different direction. Please remember that even nonprofits must have a positive cash flow to continue to operate, so profitability is not a bad goal to have for an operation. It just doesn't have to be the main goal. I know several ways to correct things at REI even today, but alas I have left and they wish to desire on their current path.... People who frequent this talk board will not like REI because of senior management's goals. People who frequent this talk board would be more satisfied with small "more specialized" stores that can serve their needs. REI is really for beginners in the outdoors and is on the slow train to becoming another Eddie Bauer. I know REI folk are watching this talk board too........

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 9:27 pm 
Stephan makes a great point. Ive always liked the smaller specialty shops. I wasnt impressed when I worked at REI. Marmot was way better for the work experience/environment. REI may infact go the way of Eddie Bauer, although I hope not.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 7:46 pm 
Allison: I know it's frustrating to go into a packed store, teeming with other people needing help (many of them outdoor newbies and needing TONS of help from struggling employees), but here's the best solution -- one that I have practiced time and again. Shop like it's a military "surgical strike." Shop like you'd boogie down a trail above treeline as a thunderstorm moves in. Get in, get out. Be self-sufficient ... don't rely on ANYONE else to get what you need. Do whatever advance research you need to do before even GOING IN there ... and then cruise right up, grab whatever maps you need (a quick scan -- "Does THIS have what I need on it??") and then get the heck out of there. Better yet, buy the whole darned state on CD -- those topo program/map combos -- and print whatever you need, or peruse to your heart's content. Believe me, not relying on others has its advantages. Heck, most of the time I prefer to hike alone (and haven't broken my leg and ended up as bear bait ... yet!) Seriously, there are always ways to reduce the aggravation levels ... IF you look for them. CK

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 8:03 pm 
There seems to be a great market for the nostalgic old building, so I have decided to market a kit consisting of a creosote aerosol and a few narrow slats of tongue and groove hardwood. Use the aerosol on yourself and you will feel like you are in the old building even when you are now miles and days away from it. The slats are shoe inserts and creak and bend slightly when you walk, giving you the impending feeling that you are about to plummet from the third-first floors even when you are out on the sidewalk. eek.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 8:28 pm 
Actually, one of the feelings that I got from the old building was that if another goldrush broke out in the Klondike the people would have been buying their 1000 pounds of gear there. There was definitely a spirit of adventure there.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 9:02 pm 
Copperhead...I agree. In-n-Out. But sometimes some folks need to ask questions. Specially when you just be learnin. polarbear... Let me know when you have a shipment. I'll take one. Will need to adjust the shoe size tho. Creosote. mmmm.dizzy.gif Long time no smell. NN:)

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 10:04 pm 
That surgical strike method is how I do REI at least 19 times out of 20. I was pretty sure there wasn't an ALW map but it seemed so reediculous I thought I'd go check. I'm prefectly aware of REI catering to a different kind of enthusiast. But I still do go there for some things being a native daughter and remembering the old store, and I love to bash the place. I was ranting, not looking for help. cool.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods