Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pine Canyon/N. Umptanum Ridge-Never the same old.........
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 7:57 am 
I've seen guys commit real stupid game violations-shoot more than one cow elk or shoot from vehicles and mis-identify animal genders-usually when they get out of their rig, the beer cans go rolling-I never directly confront those guys. The only thing worse than an idiot is a idiot with a gun whose been drinking. I report them, but they aren't worth dying over either. I looked at the map of the Umptanum-the one named Wright Spring is the one we always called the Oasis-If I get up into Kelly Hollow, I'll check on that spring, but I've got my doubts. I don't really remember permanent water there. My dad once shot a nice buck about a canyon over from the canyon that the Oasis is at the head of-he shot it right down in the bottom of the canyon and then dragged it up to the top of the ridge before I found him. He was damn near dead by then-my dad I mean. I dragged that deer all the way down into the bottom of the Umptanum Canyon and down to Durr Road-that's when I began to think that there had to be better ways of packing animals out of the hills.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 8:25 am 
Thanks for the update. Understand your concern over a-holes with beer & guns. Makes me sick. They give everyone who hunts a bad name. Dragging game out - guess that means to follow the path of least resistance. Downhill smile.gif I recall trading emails with your dad a few years ago. He seemed like a great guy and quite a character. Hope he's doing okay. Appreciate the heads up on Wright/Oasis springs. You can PM me on that if you want to. I found a couple of interesting links on Cleman Mountain I'll send to you. Later Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message