Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wild Sky Update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 24, 2004 10:10 am 
Can you dorks PLEASE take your political mudslinging BS to the DC. moon.gif I'm tired of these threads being hijacked by republican vs. democrat spittle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 24, 2004 10:17 am 
Slugman wrote:
Backpacker Chumley wrote:
The area the Wild Sky is going to encompass is presently being used for a variety of OTHER recreational activities that will end with its recognition. TB
Can you provide evidence for this? From what I understand from reading about this bi-partisan supported bill, your statement is false. Even neo-con Pombo doesn't make this claim. And why is it that when Democrats in the Senate use the time-honored method of filibustering to stop a vote, which requires 40% of Senators at least to pull off, the neo-cons go crazy and start shouting "unconstitutional" until spittle comes out of their mouths, but when ONE Republican decides there shouldn't be a vote on a widely supported bill, there is no outcry? Hypocricy, anyone?
Do you want pictures of my 4x4 wheeling there? Or would you like pictures or three wheelers and quads and dirt bikes riding there? People bring their kids from all over the west side to the area to ride dirt bikes. We all have plenty of places to hike. They dont have plenty of places to ride! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jul 24, 2004 10:59 am 
Tom wrote:
Can you dorks PLEASE take your political mudslinging BS to the DC. moon.gif I'm tired of these threads being hijacked by republican vs. democrat spittle.
up.gif Just a quick comment befor I ignore this too. The politics around here are starting, er, IS sucking big time. down.gif Sometimes I think the *wilderness battle* whether wild sky, virgin forest , wetlands etc. isn't so much an access issue until someone makes it such. To me, it's preserving what we have while we still have it. Future generations will hopefully be able to enjoy it too. If I can't drive it, so be it. If I have to walk the extra 5 miles, so be it. I'm not afraid to hike to get somewhere even if it's from the far reaches of the parking lot to the store. If we keep going at the pace were going, It'll be gone or garbage for the kids. I'd hate to wake up some day and find out this country, world, really does belong to all of us and we all can do what ever we want. Jeeze I'm tired of this crap. Get off the soap boxes. Things aren't a debate anymore, They're arguments with some name calling thrown in to spice things up. I've seen no middle ground, grey, on issues for months. IMO either work something out amongst yourselves or can it. Work things out and then submit it to the proper agencies. Show em what can be worked out by everyday people with a concern. Ignore List Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostSat Jul 24, 2004 11:24 am 
Absolutely right on, Newt. Thanks for putting things in perspective - as you usually do.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jul 24, 2004 10:28 pm 
The Wild sky wilderness will be created, it may change slightly from what's on the bill now, but mark my words it will happen even if it takes 10 years. Lastly, if one looks at the encompassed area, one will note that the boundaries were drawn up with many user groups input, which in many cases were compromises. Lastly, I personally enjoy wilderness areas such as: The Alpine Lakes, Boulder River, Henry M. Jackson, Mt. Baker, and so on. And I hesitate to think of where some of those areas might be today, if indeed they hadn't been designated as such. I would defy anyone to say they would have been better off otherwise! Lastly, everyone is entitled to their own opioion on the issue even if contrary to mine, but mine is however with vision to preserve said lands for future generations to enjoy as in its natural state, to include the air and water quality of the area. If wilderness designation achieves that end, even if it excludes commercial aspects, then I support the endeavor. "Without protected wild areas, man himself is the loser." Simply put, natural areas that we see fit to set aside (therefrom commercial development) is good for America, and the NW and planet will benefit from it. The next generations to come will thank us for that...one of the most noble things our own generation can do IMO. Lastly, on politics: I am neither democrat, republican, green party, or whatever. I vote for who I think will do the best job for me...a photographer, backpacker, climber, hunter and gun owner, fisherman, 4x4 driver... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 25, 2004 9:33 am 
Just as I thought, Joe, you have no evidence, or you would have presented it. I guess you know more than the snowmobile groups, etc, who have refused to oppose this measure since adjustments were made to the original proposal to make sure they weren't harmed by it. I thought the DC was for non-hiking related political discussions. But this thread isn't in the DC. So how can I post my comments to this thread in the DC?

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jul 31, 2004 9:10 am 
The most recent news: House committee hearing held. http://www.wawild.org/campaigns/Wild_Sky_Hearing.html McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 9:43 pm 
George Nethercutt offers a compromise on Wild Sky: Seattle Times article
Quote:
U.S. Rep. George Nethercutt, R-Spokane, introduced a bill yesterday to extend wilderness protection to a swath of Snohomish County known as Wild Sky, leaving out 13,300 acres of lowland forests in an effort to placate GOP leaders.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 6:46 am 
The latest news Nethercutt should not have mucked this one up.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 7:46 am 
Agreed, it would likely be enacted now if he'd kept his paws off the original bill. I also think the Dems are plenty happy to have the opportunity to see it go down so they can use it against Nethercutt.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 8:40 am 
From the article it sounded like he was trying to appease the ranchers (indirectly through Pombo) who still wanted free grazing land.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Keer

Keer
PostThu May 08, 2008 10:22 am 
update to the Wildnerness Bill
as of today May 8, 2008 President signs Wild Sky Wilderness bill 09:08 AM PDT on Thursday, May 8, 2008 Associated Press Sen. Patty Murray The Eagle Lake area of Sky Peaks is part of the Wild Sky Wilderness landscape. WASHINGTON, D.C. - Nearly six years after it was first introduced, a bill to create a Wild Sky Wilderness northeast of Seattle has become law. President Bush signed a bill Thursday making Wild Sky the first new wilderness area in Washington state in nearly a quarter-century. The House gave final approval to the bill last month. It designates 167 square miles in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest north of Sultan, Wash., as federal wilderness, the government's highest level of protection. Wild Sky, sponsored by Sen. Patty Murray and Rep. Rick Larsen, both D-Wash., is the first new federally designated wilderness in Washington since 1984. "Reaching the end of the trail never felt so good," said Larsen. "Today marks the summit of a long journey made possible by many committed people and years of community input. Together, we not only created a new wilderness bill, but a new model for creating wilderness in the future." Murray said Wild Sky "has always brought diverse people together to do what's right for our environment and our future. I can't wait to lace up my tennis shoes and take those first steps into Washington's first new wilderness area in 24 years." The bill signed Thursday also designates a site on Bainbridge Island, Wash., where hundreds of Japanese-Americans were forced from their homes on the way to internment camps during World War II as a national historic site. It also designates a recreation trail in Oregon's Willamette National Forest in honor of former Rep. Jim Weaver, D-Ore. Wild Sky, first introduced in 2002, covers approximately 106,000 acres of low-elevation forest on the west slope of the Cascades. The wilderness designation will block development and other economic activity in a sprawling area north of U.S. Highway 2 that includes habitat for bears, bald eagles and other wildlife, as well as streams, hiking trails and other recreation. Murray, who has championed the measure for nearly nine years, said it was "an example of wilderness done the right way," with support from a range of local groups and elected officials. Wild Sky, named for the Skykomish River, is 90 minutes from Seattle and offers millions of people access to rolling hills, rushing rivers and low-elevation forests, supporters say. The area now will be preserved for generations to come, they said. Environmentalists hailed the bill-signing and praised Larsen and Murray for their work. "We've waited a long time for this day, and oh, what a great day it is," said Jon Owen of the Campaign for America's Wilderness. "After a long struggle, Sen. Murray and Congressman Larsen have brought Wild Sky home for all of us, protected for all time. For Americans of all walks of life, of different viewpoints and different interests, Wild Sky is truly our common ground." http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_050808EVB_bush_signs_wild_sky_wilderness_JM.de43db8a.html

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain
WTM

WTM
PostThu May 08, 2008 3:00 pm 
FINALLY!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu May 08, 2008 4:11 pm 
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostFri May 09, 2008 3:49 pm 
GREAT!!!!!......Now what?????

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"