Forum Index > Trail Talk > Identify this peak for me? (not a game)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 1:49 pm 
True, true. I quess I am used to seeing Shuksan from the angle of where it looks like it is on top of Baker-teh angle you get from up above when hiking around Baker and from Hwy 20.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostTue Mar 30, 2004 2:04 pm 
sarbar wrote:
That's Shuksan??? Shuksan looks nothing like that!! It is not a pointy mt! I mean, I could be very wrong, but having hiked so much North and lived up North for years-that looks nothing like Shuksan! And it is freaking far from Baker.....
lol.gif Sorry sarbar but I have to laugh at that one. (note I said laugh at that one, not you wink.gif ) Shuksan has many looks as do most peaks.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 pm 
Regardless of shape, it just seems to easterly for Shuksan. Can anyone get a photo from Queen Anne with a few more peaks/hills in it? Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 6:40 pm 
Yeah, They look too far apart. I guess that close-in Queen Anne Hill makes the chunk of Cascade horizon in distance look wide. In reality, we're just looking at the few degrees that separate Baker from Shuksan. I'm glad I didn't have a paycheck to bet on it not being Shuksan.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."

PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:00 pm 
Newt wrote:
Regardless of shape, it just seems to easterly for Shuksan. Can anyone get a photo from Queen Anne with a few more peaks/hills in it?
seems is the operative word. Shuksan is 10 miles ENE of Baker. ..besides, what else could it possibly be?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:07 pm 
Even from Concrete, Shuksan and Baker look a lot further apart than they actually are. Probably due to the fact that Shuksan is further north than Baker. Personally, I don't ever recall being able to see Shuksan from anywhere but maybe the top of the Space Needle in this area. Certainly can't see it from ground level in too many places around the sound.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:26 pm 
From liembo's West Seattle viewpoint, you're looking across the top of the Finney Block at Baker and Shuksan.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
touron

touron
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 7:48 pm 
I think you can see Baker and Shuksan pretty easily from the hills bordering the Rainier Beach area.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Synchro

Synchro
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 8:12 pm 
ok, so i pull out Topo on the PC. and after flipping back and forth in Topo and posting stuff and editing i agree with the folks here that that is Shuksan. I think what is throwing people off, including myself, and the reason why i flipped into topo, is that it doesn't seem possible in the minds eye that they could be that close. but from looking at readings in topo, and thus taking out the distortion provided by photographic lenses, i agree with others.

It could be that your life is meant only to serve as a warning to others.

PostTue Mar 30, 2004 8:33 pm 
some of you crack me up. sometimes it doesn't take technology to figure things out. I knew what the sharp peak was 25 years ago when I saw it from the SNeedle and have seen it from many Puget Sound location ever since. What other white pyramid that looks just like Shuksan from the S could it be? dizzy.gif doh.gif suuure.gif confused.gif dizzy.gif BTW, ever notice that you can see the Twin Sisters Range from many of the locs. How about Glacier Peak? Same drill. It is there for the looking at if you know where to look.

touron

touron
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 9:15 pm 
Hey everybody, how do you know it's not just a new mountain--one that grew overnight. It does happen, but is rarely seen. Most people don't notice, because mountains look like, well, mountains. Plus, mountains grow in the winter, not summer when there would be alot of observers. And they don't show up on maps because most maps were done along time ago and "most" mapmakers are too lazy to put in a new mountain. I was snowshoeing once in a valley, set up camp, and next day found I had to rappel to get back to where I started. eek.gif A word for the wise, valleys don't always stay that way. Always carry a rope as the 11th essential. agree.gif agree.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 9:26 pm 
PAP wrote:
sometimes it doesn't take technology to figure things out.
Yeah, but it's still fun to play around with. Between the red lines is what the mapping software indicates where the picture was taken from, drawing straight lines from Baker and Shuksan thru Key Arena.
pinpoint
pinpoint

PostTue Mar 30, 2004 9:33 pm 
Like I said, it doesn't take technology, but of course it's fun. I think I used a highway map and a ruler to confirm what I knew years ago. Count me as a techno freak too. eek.gif

touron

touron
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 9:39 pm 
I don't get it. I'm following those red lines in Tom's post and all I'm getting is sky and a few stars.

touron

touron
PostTue Mar 30, 2004 9:53 pm 
Someone with a camera ought to take a picture of the Seattlel side of the western slope of the cascades and label the peaks in that range. White Horse, 3 Fingers, and Big 4 are easy to pick out, but all the others I do not know from Adam. up.gif up.gif