Forum Index > Trip Reports > Leavenworth Vic.-4/5/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 06, 2004 8:20 pm 
Had to head east on SR2 yesterday and made a quicky stop at the bridge @ Tumwater Canyon. Hiked most of the trail looking for flowers. Was deciding to turn back when I saw some yellow. It got better. Most were at the end toward the tunnel. Made my day. Monday Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostTue Apr 06, 2004 8:27 pm 
Cheerful shots, Newt. Is the red one a budding Indian Paintbrush? Newts photos prompt a question. Why can't mountain flowers be grown in the city. I had an uncle in Monatana who would always try and transplant an indian paintbrush flower to his house in Bozeman, but it would never survive. Do they need bad mountain soil, or the harsher climate, or something else?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Apr 07, 2004 4:23 am 
Thanks touron. that be a paintbrush alrighty. I've ran across websites that sell wildflower seeds etc. for home landscaping. It probably depends on what plant it is and where you live. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Apr 07, 2004 8:59 am 
Quote:
I had an uncle in Monatana who would always try and transplant an indian paintbrush flower to his house in Bozeman, but it would never survive. Do they need bad mountain soil, or the harsher climate, or something else?
Yep, that's exactly right. Every plant out there was designed to grow well in a specific mix of soil, water, and light. When you take an established plant out of their proper nitch and plunk them into a completely different soil, light, water combo they'll die (or just slink along and look sick). You can have some really good luck collecting the seeds and planting those at home, that way the seedling that likes its location the best is the one that grows. So if your uncle really wants paintbrush to do well in his yard he can go out and collect some of the seeds to plant, or he can find a spot in his yard with thin extremely well drained soil to plunk it down in. Note - I do NOT advocate digging up plants in the wild. A question was asked, and I answered it. There are nurseries that sell native plants legally and resposibly. Alternately, you can go to future building sites and dig your little heart out - those plants are going to be destroyed as soon as the dozers come anyway.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 07, 2004 9:24 am 
Newt (who is no longer a newbie I see) you've got some nice pics there. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Apr 07, 2004 8:45 pm 
Thanks Joe. Did you ever get the G3 fixed? Newt

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 07, 2004 9:02 pm 
Yes sir they fixed her for free! That AND upgraded my firmware. Gotta love them Cannon peoples. Am tempted to get one of those NEW Pro 8mp jobs though. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 5:12 am 
Thanks. I'm tryin. Newt

Karen

Karen
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 am 
Thats the Penstock Trail you were on -- also known by some as the Tumwater Canyon Trail. It's a neat spot and later in the year you will see some unusual wild flowers -- last year I saw WHITE shooting stars, Tweedyi Lewisia and also mariposa lilies plus a lot of colorful regulars. If you hike all the way down to the end of the trail you'll find a tunnel but you have to scramble to get to it. Apparently you used to be alble to walk through the tunnel and end up across from the Candy Shop on the other side of the river but it appears to be blocked now (the tunnel, not the candy shop). Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 12:01 pm 
I'm curious about that tunnel. Bushwacker tells me he tried to scramble around it, and almost got himself dunked into the river in the process. Does anyone know of any feasable way to get around that tunnel without technical climbing or a raft?