Forum Index > Trip Reports > heliotrope snow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
guitar hiker

guitar hiker
PostWed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 pm 
just could'nt stay out of all the new snow!!! got to the "snow park" at 9am Sun. the 4th and there were about 8 cars at the snowmobilers parking spot but no snowmobile trailers so I headed out. started around 3000ft. and 2 ft. of snow. about 1 1/2miles to the trailhead. there were fresh footprints to follow so it was'nt to hard to find the way up. at around 2 miles I just followed a creek bed up and up to 6000ft. took a few pics and strolled another 1000ft to 7k and stood looking in awe of my favorite volcano agree.gif got really burned in the spring sun, but how better to star out that summer look! cool.gif I saw 4 guys that summited that morning, wish I knew you could "safely" climb this early. I like to see the crevasses before I attempt a summit. Had lunch and refreshments and called my drummer buddy on a cell and set up a jam for that night!!! was so jazzed up at the great day on the Mtn. I did'nt even feel tired biggrin.gif p.s. some folks had there tire stems ripped out because they inadvertantly parked in the snowmobilers turn around spot, maybe a sign would do! clown.gif
baker
baker
pano
pano

living next to a volcano is awesome!!!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Apr 08, 2004 8:50 am 
How was the road (glacier creek rd.) leading up to the trailhead? I attempted to get up there last month in my two-wheel-drive car, but could only make it to around the 5 mile mark, where the snow had definitely accumulated. This time of year I have mostly been resorting to driving up near the ski area and sauntering around, while concurrently evading the snowboarders/skiers.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 08, 2004 11:22 am 
Quote:
there is two different pairs of snow shoes in the box
Hey there Mr., you have to send ONE pair back now! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
guitar hiker

guitar hiker
PostThu Apr 08, 2004 6:07 pm 
I got to mile post 6 or so with no snow on the road. It should clear off quickly now with the warmer days. the bad part is the bugs will come out too huh.gif

living next to a volcano is awesome!!!