Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Mariners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 2:03 am 
There's just no making some folks happy. If the M's spend their wad now, people will say "You didn't get a mid-season acquisition at the trading deadline", and if they save a little cash for that later, they are hammered for not doing enough now. Wake up, folks, this ain't New Yawk, where there's 20 million fans within driving distance of the park, and far more within range of the team on "local" TV. We also lack a billionaire owner willing to subsidize a championship run through free agency. Nor are we owned by a giant media conglomerate who sees team ownership as a programming purchase. Our GM of late wisely fought the temptation to trade several young players for a superstar, thereby sacrificing the future for a possible title. According to ESPN or maybe someone else just as big (I forget who exactly), as reported on KJR sports radio yesterday, the Mariner's payroll stands at $82 million right now. The team's budget is somewhere between the $92 million budget for last year and maybe $95 million. That means another acquisition is coming, possibly a trade where we take on salary, like if we get Kendall from the Pirates. Three games count for just three games in the standings. It will take 95, maybe more, to make the playoffs this year. Patience, Grasshoppers. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 10:26 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
They fixed the hitters eye last year.
Not to wrangle about words here, but they made improvements to the 'hitters eye' and perhaps it's better than it's ever been at Safeco, but I'm sure Cameron, among others, doesn't think it's 'fixed'. And Safeco still has the rep of not being hitter friendly, regardless of the causes. I agree that Soriano might be a good add as a hitter, but he's not spring tuned for any position but 2nd, and I'm pretty sure the M's wouldn't play him there (duh!). So then your faced with shifting one or more positions in-season, which is disruptive, at best.

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 11:05 am 
I think we still have some moves to make. I would have liked to see Miguel Tejada on board, since Seattle was his first choice. But we'll see. If we don't get results this year, the ownership can expect revenues to go down.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 2:51 pm 
It seems we are trading away our defense for the sake of offense, which didn't work when we had Griffey and ARod. Guillen gone, Cameron gone, even Cirillo was always solid at third. What did we get in return? A shortstop and thirdbaseman that bat for a better percentage, but with questionable fielding abilities.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
GrizzDaddy
The Sultan of Sultan

GrizzDaddy
The Sultan of Sultan
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 10:48 pm 
Thats the final staw.... Forget Griffey, we must bring back Alvin Davis!

Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 11:22 pm 
0-4 frown.gif , perhaps we should be wearing the late 80s uniforms( blue hats with the yellow S), because that's the kind of season we're headed for if we don't make the proper adjustments.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 12:12 am 
Okay, why the hell didn't Bavasi make Rhodes and offer?! mad.gif Villone looked pretty good tonight, and Aurilia was hitting well, but, dammit, who the hell thought it would be a good idea to go get some no-name mediocre pitchers to replace someone like Rhodes! Now we're gonna need an arm and a bat by the break. On the other hand, maybe this is a good thing. We have a breakdown right now, then go like 35-5 in and August and September. suuure.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 8:47 am 

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 12:25 pm 
Nelson won't be missed, no, but I think Rhodes will. Soriano, Mateo and Hasagawa are solid. Villone looked real good last night. Myers and Jarvis, I could care less about. If we need another left hander, resign Mullholland, at least he's got experience.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 12:32 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
On the other hand, maybe this is a good thing. We have a breakdown right now, then go like 35-5 in and August and September. suuure.gif
I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch, what with injuries and all, but I have my doubts. Like I heard some baseball "expert" say, with a veteran team like this, it's important that they get off to a fast start because these old farts tend to wear down as the grueling season heads into August and September. Let's hope their pitching holds up like it did last year. Freddie sure looked like the ace he should be, at least in his first start.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 1:15 pm 
As of Saturday April 10th the Mariners are the worst team in baseball???? paranoid.gif dizzy.gif hihi.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
D'Airy Queen

D'Airy Queen
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 1:31 pm 
Attention all! Thank you! Please note this is a narration of the Queen's by her page, Page. "First, what a marvelous pastime must be this game you call "Baseball." Certainly we enjoy our own frivolity around the castle, and I can bowl with the best of my subjects and do enjoy watching a hearty Spring joust on the castle grounds. Alligator races in the moat are held every Saturday at noon, and the betting is fast and furious. I provide a picnic lunch of beef, bacon, lamb, cabbage soup, bread, and honey. The drawbridge and walk surrounding the moat are packed with cheering spectators from all parts of the kingdom. Please do take note that we have none of the foul peformance altering substances that have managed to infiltrate your sports. My alligators are fed ripe red apples (and, on occaission, an enemy or two!), and if any knave tries to slip in a sour green apple, rest assured he is promptly capped in irons and tossed into the dungeon! Oh dear! It is time to feed the alligators in the moat. Will it be a Braeburn, a Pink Lady, or a Cameo? Ta ta for now." D'Airy Queen \Page

Ta ta, time to feed the alligators.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 5:09 pm 
"O" and five baby! Turbo (What's defense) bummer. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Apr 11, 2004 6:54 pm 
Rhodes will be missed? Who said he will be missed? biggrin.gif Okay, our boys have won a game, the last in the big leagues to do so. Phil Mickleson won his first major on the same day. Whatz happen'???? biggrin.gif

touron

touron
PostSun Apr 11, 2004 7:49 pm 
An Easter miracle, what else is new?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.