Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
That was without a doubt the most painful live sporting event I have ever attended in my 50 years as a Seattle sports fan (my Dad took me to see the Sonics in 1967 at the Coliseum as my first experience). I was a little worried when more Blue Jays fans than M`s fans were taking the Light Rail to the game and it only got worse. The Toronto fans outnumbered the locals I would say 5:1 and were loud and obnoxious. Given the gravity of the game and series, it was unfortunate our home game and advantage therein turned into a big out of town party. The 4th inning will be burned in my soul forever. Too bad....
Just watching on TV was bad enough, being there must have been way worse. shakehead.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm 
Yea, Mariners won today. But that is the last Blue Jays game we go to. They were everywhere!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 pm 
They did win today, despite giving up a game tying homer in the top of the 9th.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 pm 
Joey and all: As a frequent visitor to Vancouver and other Canadian destinations, with no ill will towards my northern neighbors, I kept saying to myself last night, "I am never going to Canada again." The Mariners suck, Seahawks suck, the drowning of our "Here we go Mariners" by their Blue jays chants was awful. My kids and I were so psyched to see this game too. FYI, I guess the Mariners organization did a big PR push to get the Canadians to come to these games with discounted tickets. Go figure.... I have to agree that I likely won`t go see the Mariners play the Blue Jays again ever.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 pm 
I disagree the Mariners suck. They are above .500 That's better than most years. Better than average is good. However, they do have the typical "non playoffable type of team." Just don't ever seem to have it to take it to the next step.

Art is an adventure.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 10:08 pm 
I agree too, but that`s not what the Canadians thought....

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Sep 23, 2016 12:14 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Joey and all: As a frequent visitor to Vancouver and other Canadian destinations, with no ill will towards my northern neighbors, I kept saying to myself last night, "I am never going to Canada again." The Mariners suck, Seahawks suck, the drowning of our "Here we go Mariners" by their Blue jays chants was awful. My kids and I were so psyched to see this game too. FYI, I guess the Mariners organization did a big PR push to get the Canadians to come to these games with discounted tickets. Go figure.... I have to agree that I likely won`t go see the Mariners play the Blue Jays again ever.
Seriously? If you're going to boycott countries and cities with "obnoxious" baseball fans you'll have a long list. The same thing happens when the Yankees and Red Sox, for example, come to Safeco. I'd say the problem is with the Ms fans. There is this strange dichotomy in Seattle where the Seahawk fans are among the loudest in football, but the Ms fans are among the wussiest in baseball. I remember a few years ago when a group of Yankee fans had season (or maybe it was just for Yankee games) seats in the bleachers. They were so bemused by how easily they drowned out Ms fans they offered to donate their seats to a charity if Ms fans could drown them out. Unfortunately I don't remember for sure what finally happened, but I don't think they had to donate their seats.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Sep 23, 2016 1:57 pm 
CC: I am not planning on forgoing visiting Canada ever again, although I felt like it that night....I should add, the Yankee games I have attended were a far cry from this game. As far as boycotting Mariners Vs Blue Jays games, the reality is I could`t drag my kids to one if I tried (my son would happily go to another Mariners vs Yankees game though). If the Mariner`s new brass takes a look at what happened at this series and makes an attempt to market this series better for our fans (offer an equal discount to what they are offering the Toronto fans, maybe?? An ad campaign to at least even out the numbers?) I would consider it. That said, I agree that the M`s are a tame lot. Not at all like the noisy, exuberant Clink crowd. Perhaps that would change if the team could sustain some level of success and not be such a perennial loser... I dunno....

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm 
Mariners fans were lame even when Safeco was selling out in 1999-2002. Even then, the event that would elicit the biggest cheer was the animated hydroplane race. Other than that, there are only half-hearted cheers and only when the scoreboard instructs them to "be loud." The Blue Jays fan invasion is annoying, but it reflects their successful marketing of the team as "Canada's team." Everyone in BC and Alberta roots for the Blue Jays. So, when the Jays come to Seattle, that is their best opportunity to see their team. When all the baseball fans in two provinces are all trying to attend just one of 3 or 4 games, those games are going to get full of those fans. In that respect, it's not the fault of the Mariners or their fans.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Oct 01, 2016 6:46 pm 
Stupid wild card race. It's forcing me to root for the damned Red Sux, because I need them to give Toronto a loss so that the Ms have a chance to move up.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Oct 01, 2016 11:37 pm 
CC wrote:
Seriously? If you're going to boycott countries and cities with "obnoxious" baseball fans you'll have a long list. The same thing happens when the Yankees and Red Sox, for example, come to Safeco. I'd say the problem is with the Ms fans. There is this strange dichotomy in Seattle where the Seahawk fans are among the loudest in football, but the Ms fans are among the wussiest in baseball. I remember a few years ago when a group of Yankee fans had season (or maybe it was just for Yankee games) seats in the bleachers. They were so bemused by how easily they drowned out Ms fans they offered to donate their seats to a charity if Ms fans could drown them out. Unfortunately I don't remember for sure what finally happened, but I don't think they had to donate their seats.
I couldn't possibly agree more. There'd be no Blue Jays invasion or Fenway West if you people actually went to games. The most important game of the year tonight and the clowns on tv (especially the nasally retard) were bragging about the attendance and the place was 60% full. The fans don't cheer unless prompted to by the scoreboard and you get mad when the other teams fans show up and support their team because you don't buy tickets. What a joke. P.S. Next year is totally the year. Hahahahaha. Moroners. flush.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 6:40 am 
LB: Way to hit Mariner`s fans on the night we get eliminated...Nice; I would suggest you go back to that bridge you live under (likely somewhere out of state where you came from moon.gif )

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 10:00 am 
Last night's game was one of the most exciting Mariners' games I've seen them play. A pity they got eliminated, but they went down fighting. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 9:18 pm 
Preemptively dredging this one up to steal Layback's thunder about the Sox getting fleeced for Chris Sale (not that it won't be worth it). Have fun watching Moncada in Chicago for the next 7 years.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 am 
Somehow, as of today, the Mariners are in a 3-way tie for the final wildcard spot. eek.gif breakdance.gif