Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Mariners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 10:57 pm 
you gotta use the various internet-based web code programs available on the internet to watch these games these days

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:29 pm 
That's what I hear, aka pirating? Usually the M's aren't worth the trouble and for sure not worth paying extra to watch.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 5:01 am 
I have diligently subscribed to MLB Extra Innings all these years in the hope that the Mariners might become watchable. I used to try and catch as many games as I could, but by last year was basically just going through the motions. It began the same way this year, but the Mariners have continued to surprise over the course of the year, winning all those one-run games. They've even made some unbelievable comebacks, which I hadn't seen from them in years. Please let it not be like 2002, when they won 93 games but didn't make the playoffs.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 8:45 am 
How about 2001 when they won 112 games and lost I think in the first round of the playoffs? Their problem imho is that they did not have the dominating starting pitcher/s that a team needs in the post season. I will always contend that if they had somehow been able to come to terms with Randy Johnson, they would have one at least one, maybe 2 World Series. You just have to have dominant starting pitchers to have success in the PS. I think it's wrong to have to pay extra to watch ones local baseball team, to me it's like buying a yearly fishing license when you get out 2-3 times per year, but O' well, it is what it is.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 9:24 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I think it's wrong to have to pay extra to watch ones local baseball team ...
Well, for me the Mariners are no longer my local baseball team, although still my team. (My local team would be the Pirates.)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 9:37 am 
The 2001 Mariners won 116 games during the regular season and never lost a series until the final week of the season. They lost to the Yankees in the AL Championship series. Their top three pitchers, Garcia, Moyer and Sele, actually had a better season era than NY's top three, Clemens, Mussina and Pettitte. NY won the first two close games. Moyer won the third. Game four (Abbott vs Clemens) was scoreless till the 8th inning when the M's eked out a run. Rhodes gave up a run in the bottom of the 8th and Sasaki blew the "hold" in the 9th to lose. The M's totally folded in the 5th game. M's pitching did just fine, but the M's bats pretty much went away in this series. Ichiro hit .222, Olerud .211, and most shocking, Edgar hit .150!

GaliWalker
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 9:45 am 
borank wrote:
They lost to the Yankees in the AL Championship series. Their top three pitchers, Garcia, Moyer and Sele, actually had a better season era than NY's top three, Clemens, Mussina and Pettitte.
Thanks for the clarification, however those 3 Yankees pitchers were far superior to the M's pitchers that you listed. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame, but still I get your point.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 11:53 am 
At this point it is more about belief than sheer talent. Let's hope all those comeback wins have got them believing!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
At this point it is more about belief than sheer talent
That should read "proven" talent. What a great bunch of young guys. Next year they will have some pressure to win. Seems like they have what it takes, now they need to fine tune it. Looks like upper management did pretty good with the rebuild. Not many bloated contracts to deal with. Getting rid of Cano for Kelenic was brilliant!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

Chief Joseph
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 3:06 pm 
No one is talking about the Mariners making the playoffs after a wait of 21yrs? Really? I'm over the moon. Our oldest son was born in 2001. He was four months old when the Mariners were last in the playoffs.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 5:41 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
borank wrote:
They lost to the Yankees in the AL Championship series. Their top three pitchers, Garcia, Moyer and Sele, actually had a better season era than NY's top three, Clemens, Mussina and Pettitte.
Thanks for the clarification, however those 3 Yankees pitchers were far superior to the M's pitchers that you listed. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame, but still I get your point.
Could you clarify which of the listed pitchers are in the HOF?

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 5:50 pm 
Great game last night with the walk off homer!! Go M's

Eric Eames
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:30 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
No one is talking about the Mariners making the playoffs after a wait of 21yrs? Really? I'm over the moon. Our oldest son was born in 2001. He was four months old when the Mariners were last in the playoffs.
It may be because of the quality of September play (offense-wise at least). At the general fatalistic attitude of many of us. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop when things are going well. I thought I would sob with joy and hoist an Ms flag at my house when the Ms broke the drought. I love this team. Cal will always be known as Cal F---ing Raleigh in this household. But to drop all these series to poor teams this month...how excited should I get that we are going to fly to Toronto to play 3 games, and maybe that's it? We bought a strip of postseason tickets, but are we even going to get to attend a game? I'm glad you are over the moon. Decades of fandom has made me hedge my bets and prepare for disappointment.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:50 am 
Yeah we're all prepared for disappointment. A 21 years long drought will do that to us. Baseball is such a game of ebbs and flows, no one knows what will happen in the postseason. Who knows, with Julio Rodriguez coming back today (the pun was unintentional), and Eugenio Suárez still recovering from his broken thumb, they might be rounding into full form by the time the playoffs arrive. And even it they don't, they made the playoffs!

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 am 
I know. The Ms are like a bad boyfriend that does great, gets a job, then relapses, goes to rehab for the 7th time...you still love them but it's hard to get too excited. I would be beside myself if they'd kept winning this month, though.
Quote:
Yeah we're all prepared for disappointment. A 21 years long drought will do that to us.
I also count the years before 1995, and the crushing disappointment of the 2001 postseason.