Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > un nuclear war threat
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 2:51 pm 
when I was stationed at nas whidbey as a radioman at the rocky point transmitter facility we often communicated with jim creek as it was or is a vlf site that messages subs. so reference this news on yahoo.. https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-said-nuclear-war-back-091525784.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Oct 16, 2022 8:28 am 
Here is the quote: "Hyping up a then-new hypersonic nuclear-capable missile, Russian state TV said the Pentagon, Camp David, Jim Creek Naval Radio Station in Washington, Fort Ritchie in Maryland, and McClellan Air Force Base in California, would be targets, according to Reuters. But the latter two have been closed for over two decades, making them strange choices for targets." Well this is just hilarious! lol.gif The Jim Creek Naval Radio Station is now the Jim Creek Navy Community Recreation Area. I have no idea if there are any comm facilities still there, but I highly doubt it for two reasons. We now have satellite comms, and Jim Creek is a family recreation area for crissakes! "The latter three have been closed for two decades..." But you know where the would fire one? The Bangor Sub Base. frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 16, 2022 8:35 am 
Jim Creeks capability is not something that a satellite can reasonably do.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Oct 16, 2022 12:43 pm 
so many bases have either been closed or combined it is hard to know what is still around. war is good for business makes lots of companies rich making weapons, civil peace is a tax on the system costs to much to maintain a military so closing of bases junking ships, aircraft, not maintaining the current weapons systems is a politicians dream, serve the people......

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 2:52 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
The Jim Creek Naval Radio Station is now the Jim Creek Navy Community Recreation Area. I have no idea if there are any comm facilities still there, but I highly doubt it for two reasons. We now have satellite comms, and Jim Creek is a family recreation area for crissakes! "The latter three have been closed for two decades..."
This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Creek_Naval_Radio_Station makes it sound like it's still operational, despite the existence of the Jim Ck recreation area.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 pm 
Jim Creek is definitely still active and is used to talk to those subs out of Bangor. You can see the antenna array from 50 miles away. They've always had the Navy Recreation Area there as well.

Josh Journey