Forum Index > Trip Reports > sunset mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wayupthere

wayupthere
PostThu Apr 08, 2004 9:37 pm 
It was i nice day out so i decided to check out the mines up Trout Creek. Parked at the bottom of Trout Creek Rd. and hiked the 1.75 milkes up to the mine. Road was in pretty good shape with only a few spots with water running down the road also a few spots of mud. Made it to the old mill foundation in no time. Lots of shotgus shells all around. Tunnel #2 (lower one) was flooded with rushing water coming out of it .Took the "tour" of the mines up above the lower adit. Had a little trouble finding the "trail" to the upper mines but after a few minutes we were on our way. Found the tailings pile for Tunnel #1 and hiked up the path to the adit. The mine adit had water coming out of it so we didnt go in. Continued along the "trail" to the deep chasm. Pretty awesome sight with the water dripping down the sides into the chasm. Poked around the chasm for a few minutes and back to the "tour". Next on the tour was the next chasm and the air shaft. We never visited tunnel #3. The "tour" took about an hour to complete. Definately a good short day hike total time about 3.5 hrs. Does anyone know where that old bridge / road that crosses Trout Creek just past the foundation go to? maybe uo to Tom Dick & Harry Lakes?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chris_NWUE

chris_NWUE
PostTue May 04, 2004 6:33 pm 
The bridge past the sunset is a dead end it was put in over 25 years ago for logging but that never happened, at the bridge if you stay to the left following the main road it continues up the valley for some really nice views and passes many old mines and about 2-1/2 miles further past the sunset is an old mining camp located on the west side of the creek, good luck in your hunt,

wayupthere

wayupthere
PostTue May 04, 2004 6:57 pm 
thanks for the info. i have been further up Trout Creek rd. past that bridge to the Non-Pariel(spelling??) mine. are there more mines past these??