Forum Index > Trip Reports > Packwood Lake, the ongoing saga - 4/9-10/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
frankm3

frankm3
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 7:29 pm 
Hi everyone! Just got back from our overnighter to Packwood Lake. This was on my list of hikes to do this year, but I am really thankful for Slugman's report and info that helped me in getting back there this early! up.gif I concur with everything he said about this being an outstanding time of year to go back there to enjoy some quiet. I only saw one other car at the trailhead when I arrived at about 2:00pm Friday, and saw those folks on the trail (returning) about 5 minutes after beginning my hike. Today when I returned to the TH, there were 8-10 cars there, what a difference a day makes! It took about 2:15-2:30 to make the hike back, with snow along maybe 1/3 the route. I hiked in on the upper trail, and returned on the lower or 'pipeline' trail. This area is full of wildlife, I thought it was a pretty productive trip from that perspective. I either saw, saw tracks of, or saw signs of all kinds of animals on this trip, way more than on the average hike it seems. I saw the resident eagle Slugman described; at sunset it was a treat to see the eagle soar down the length of lake from Lake Creek, and roost in a tree on the other side. The best part was the vocalization it made after coming to roost, if you've never heard an eagle before, it's pretty cool. 'eeeeee-eeeee-eee'. There were plenty of deer around, who roamed all around the woods by my campsite drinking out of the creek at night. The first time I turned my light towards the noise, I had 4-5 pairs of eyes staring back at me. Saw plenty of birds, camp robber jays, steller's jay's, geese, and several pairs of Barrow's Goldeneyes (ducks). I also heard the owl at night too. I saw a pair of turkey vultures today on the road when I was leaving too! The neatest thing I saw on the trip was cougar tracks on the return hike this morning. I followed them along the trail for a good mile or better. It was interesting to see both the running and walking gait. They were reasonably fresh too, my guess is last night or early this morning- since I got there yesterday in any case for sure. From the size of the tracks alone (HUGE), I am really glad I never ran across the animal that made them. paranoid.gif Here are my trip pictures- one is of 'Big Johnson Peak', or whatever it's called, with some Alpenglow at sunset last night. Another is the sunset view from the bridge, the colors were really pretty. I have attached my 'flower of the week' (Coltsfoot - I didn't know what it was until I looked it up), and a cougar track photo too. I have a few more of those, this one turned out with the best contrast (it was near the edge of the trail in some slushy snow). In general, I was kind of unpleasantly surprised with how much use this place gets, and how obvious that was from looking around the campsites, etc. The campsites already had what I can only describe as a 'beat, overtrodden' look about them, and it's only April! waah.gif
alpenglow on Johnson Peak
alpenglow on Johnson Peak
sunset at Packwood Lake
sunset at Packwood Lake
Coltsfoot
Coltsfoot
Cougar track....here kitty, kitty!
Cougar track....here kitty, kitty!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 7:34 pm 
I like the shot of the coltsfoot frankm3. up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 10, 2004 8:00 pm 
I'm glad you had a good time. You probably heard the same owl that I did. I knew to expect the overuse due to reading about the motorcycle trail to the lake. I'm not a dirt bike person, but everyone needs somewhere cool to go, so I guess this lake is one for them. Pretty cool snowmobile destination, too. The only way I would go there during the summer is to use it as an exit point for a loop through the Goat Rocks Wilderness.