Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blythe Lk, Goose Lk, Marshes, Potholes Reservoir area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 8:02 am 
Excellent photos M&S. Yes, I'm going to explore the canyons west of Blythe Lake. I can't do my Republic trip yet (the Ranger there suggested I wait - there's still snow up there), so I'm thinking this Blythe Lake the end of April will be my destination. Note: The russian thistle in your photo is DEAD! I'm going back in search of live ones in croplands where BarePaw said to find 'em. This is most intriguing, the Great Russian Thistle Hunt (sounds like the title of a Hunter S. Thompson novel).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 4:02 pm 
Nice photos ya'll. I love that kind of terrain and climate. It just feels so dang good. Not to mention laid back. Thanks, Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 4:22 pm 
Quark and all, thanks about the pics. Amazing place, nice descriptions yourself, Q. You'd think the Yahoo Factor around Potholes would be off the scale and thus a nice quiet time at the campground would be a lost cause. Maybe they had one less case of beer due to Easter weekend. embarassedlaugh.gif Sat. night on my way out from Frog/Goose Lks trailhead after sunset, I heard sirens, saw flashing lights and a helicopter hovering down the road near Upper Goose Lk. Boating accident? Who knows. Yeah, I couldn't find a live Russian Thistle but there were several photogenic BIG tumbleweeds about in the canyons there. In the past Alan B. pointed out a Russian Thistle to me but I don't think it looked anything like what they looked like yesterday when dead 'n tumblin'. Newt- if I wasn't so darned tired from rambling all day I would have set up a chaise lounge and tipped back several brewskis from where I took that panoramic shot of the mesas and grasslands. What a special moment that was anyway.

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 6:53 pm 
Quark wrote:
The russian thistle in your photo is DEAD! I'm going back in search of live ones in croplands where BarePaw said to find 'em. This is most intriguing, the Great Russian Thistle Hunt (sounds like the title of a Hunter S. Thompson novel).
Just wait 'till July when I'm driving in circles around those fields. I'll get some good pictures for you. Since we're posting Potholes memories, that's the place where I first learned to waterski. We go there every Saturday night during the summer after work and ski until dark, then go to my Grandparents place in Moses for dinner. If we got there earlier in the day, we'd idle back through the dunes to the spillway and fish back in the weeds there. Good times. I also learned to do this there:
Body Surfing
Body Surfing

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 11:41 am 
What a great and timely thread. My boyfriend has just discovered the Walleye fishing at Potholes and it looks like we'll be spending some time there. It's nice to know about hikes in the area. Does anyone know how popular Soda Lake CG is-I mean, if I show up on Saturday will it be full?

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 11:47 am 
kiliki wrote:
What a great and timely thread. My boyfriend has just discovered the Walleye fishing at Potholes and it looks like we'll be spending some time there. It's nice to know about hikes in the area. Does anyone know how popular Soda Lake CG is-I mean, if I show up on Saturday will it be full?
Kiliki - the Soda Lake CG used to be VERY crowded, which is why me and my friends went back down to Mar-Don and either rented a site there, or simply slept in the huge parking lot above the boat launch at Corral Lake. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 11:50 am 
Thanks! This dovetails with my other thread-what is camping at Mardon like?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 1:52 pm 
Quote:
Hey don't be so pushy about it - harumphing and snorting around like a lost rhino
So let me get this straight. I say how come there arent pictures with you in them, (BABE) and all of a sudden Im a snorting rhino? Few things in life are certainties. One of them is that if you think THAT is snorting, YOU need to get out more often! BABE TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dogman
Hoser

Dogman
Hoser
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 2:42 pm 
The heck Quark don't get out. She can snort around them ranger handymen like a briggs n' stratten with her muffler rustin' off...

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 3:03 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Thanks! This dovetails with my other thread-what is camping at Mardon like?
Thumbs Down. I really didn't care for it, which is why I've only stayed there once. It's basically a little resort with fairly crowded camping spots and a restaurant, bar, and grocery/tackle store. I don't mean to DIS the place - the owners used to be the Meesebergs, who ran a really nice family operation. But that time I was there it had a really high redneck quotient in the bar (to be expected I guess). I recall my buddies and I having a beer in there and I asked a local if he knew where some good fishing spots were to be found. He said, and I quote, "just drive down the road and when you see a nigger fishing you can stop and fish - I ain't never seen a nigger can't catch a fish", unquote. We left just after finishing our beers. Also, I just don't care for resorts...... There is also a state camp ground a mile or so down the road (south) from Mar-Don, and it looked okay. It butts up against the SE end of O'Sullivan. I would try fo the large parking are at the Corral Lake boat launch. I think there are even some fire rings there, although it's probably technically illegal. Also, it's been at least two years since I've been there, so some of these things may have changed. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 3:39 pm 
salish wrote:
the owners used to be the Meesebergs, who ran a really nice family operation.
The Mesebergs still own it - but it is crowded and lots of RVers. Not much different at the State Park, except more elbow room and lots of grass.
Quote:
But that time I was there it had a really high redneck quotient in the bar (to be expected I guess).
Musta been 206ers. Locals don't go near there.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
salish

salish
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 4:17 pm 
Musta been 206ers. Locals don't go near there.[/quote] Naw, this guy's name was "Bruce" and he was definitely a local. Lived not too far from the resort, and he had just come from a long day of mending fences. Come to think of it, we were the ony 206'ers in there, I think. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have painted the entire place as rednecky, as this was the only time I've actually stayed there. I've used the store and gas station since 1968, tho. Cliff

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 4:18 pm 
The wild life is getting restless it appears! TB P.S., notice my new name. Oh and I didnt do it either.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 4:58 pm 
Yeah watch your stereotyping about that area or Kleet gets his knickers up! hockeygrin.gif Maybe that's a good thing (Kleet keeping them up that is hihi.gif ). Mar-Don didn't look like anyplace I'd make a special trip to stay at from the road at least. I heartily agree that most of what we high & mighty snobby westsiders call redneck/local riffraff/yahoo/insert your label here that I saw out and about are most definitely NOT from there, because the area's population would be the size of Kent & Federal Way combined! Anyway, you see all their trailered noisy horseless carriages hither and yonder on the freeway heading east from Pugetpopulus. I will say, that stereotyping or not, and wherever these folks were from, the congregation of ORVers gassing up their machines at the gas station/convenience store at Hwy 17 & 170 near Warden were a sight- and I know they'd look better without all the dust and dirt on 'em- but then maybe not. eek.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 5:04 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Didn't you say your BF was a midwesterner? What's up with them and their Walleyes??? I have a co-worker from Minnesota who lives, sleeps, eats them. Heads to Potholes every chance he gets. I ask him- what's so special about those damn things? He goes off like a line cast from a rod about them..blah blah blah ...aaah Walleye! wub.gif shakehead.gif confused.gif dizzy.gif shakehead.gif