Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Pass beach walk, sunset pictures, Easter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 2:43 am 
Tanja, Daisy and I spent Easter Sunday touring the Skagit valley and Deception pass areas. We drove Chuckanut drive, stopped at a little park right on the waterfront in Bellingham, then we went to the Samish overlook, right on the Pacific NW Trail at 1,400 ft, where the hang gliders take off from. It was way too hot, though, and the view spots had no shade, so we headed over to the water for cooler temps. We crossed the Deception pass bridges onto Whidby island, and turned left on Cornet bay road, which leads into the state park. The road prallels the beach for a while, then ends. We hiked up to Hoypus point and then on towards Albo (or something) spit, but we didn't want to tresspass, and there were some houses there, so we went back. The sunset was amazing, so we headed back across the highway and past the Deception st park camping areas to the day-use beach, stopping along the way to get the reflection picture. I am posting four pictures, of the various stages of the sunset. All are completely unretouched, unenhanced and unaltered except for re-sizing.
Early stage sunet
Early stage sunet
Right at sunset
Right at sunset
Mid stage sunset
Mid stage sunset
late stage sunset
late stage sunset

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 9:35 am 
You know, I normally avoid the state parks but I had a great time hiking at Deception pass last month. Even on a nice Saturday there were few people on the trails, which all seem to connect so you can make a big loop. And, there was a nice viewpoint from which to soak up the sun.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 12:13 pm 
Really sweet photos Sluggo! The one with the couple silhouleted is definitely a keeper. up.gif Deception Pass (heck lots of Whidbey like Ebey's Landing, etc) is just marvelous. A perfect destination anytime of the year, so many pockets of fun.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:05 pm 
Kiliki, I know what you mean about the lack of crowds. When we got to the end of Cornet bay road, there was no one else there, and just one couple fishing when we got back. M&S, thanks! There were some good photo ops at Cornet bay as well, but I wanted to show those sunset shots because of the radical colors.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:28 pm 
Did you use a tripod for the sunset shots? That one with the two people in it is just fantastic, you must be thrilled how it came out.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:56 pm 
No tripod, just the old fashioned "hold really still and take several backup shots" method. Yes, I am pleased. But God did the hard part, I just photographed it.