Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oregon Road Trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David & Karen

David & Karen
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 8:51 pm 
The curse of many a hiker/photographer is weekend weather, especially on those ever so rare long weekends. Would it be too much to ask for overcast skies & a little rain? So there we were driving down I-5, maps & printouts detailing every little waterfall in & around the gorge when the wife says, "This isn't going to work. Too much contrast, all the colour will be washed out of the photos!" We learned a long time ago never to trust the forecast but as we crested the bridge into Oregon our worst fears were realized - there wasn't a cloud in the sky. So dejected, our plans up in ruins, we made the best of it and did what most Oregonians do on a sunny weekend, we headed for the coast. Our first stop was Lincoln City - a perfect beach that went on for miles with water fresh from the Arctic Circle - moving on... Without any maps or printouts, without any prior research we were at a loss as to where to go. We resorted to desperate measures - looking out the car window for something interesting to explore. The first such candidate was the Rocky Creek Wayside. Spring flowers, rocky headlands and a sandy secluded cove - this coast thing wasn't too bad. Out in the water we saw seals, or was it seaweed?, perhaps it was seals swimming with seaweed? Next stop: Devil's Punch Bowl. Here incoming tides have carved a pair of tunnels and eroded away the ceiling. Speaking of incoming tides we were too late to catch the tide pools on the north side however we were right on time to watch surfers catching waves on the south side. We did more exploring down by Seal Rock although we didn't see any seals there (nor any elephants at Elephant Rock). However we did see plenty of sea lions near the Heceta Head Lookout and even sprung for the cave tour. Our day came to a close at the Oregon Dunes National Rec Area. It’s a multi-purpose area and unfortunately we picked a spot right near all the noisy ATV users - OK I admit it, we were really jealous! The next day we had the benefit of a little planning and thus an itinerary. First stop was the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area. There were lots of elk there but none had the decency to stand near the fence. We contemplated getting closer ourselves, but a timely visit by a state trooper put an end to those thoughts. Our first actual waterfall photo op took place at Silver & Golden Falls State Park. Having just broken our tripod at the elk viewing area photography was a challenge. What wasn't challenging was the road in, which must have been upgraded since our edition of the Green Bible (Nelson & Judd). Midday sun had us leaping off the 400ft, ATV free Umpqua Dunes. After that it was back to waterfalls with a drive to Kentucky Falls. Despite the complicated directions we nearly made it the entire way without a hitch. However right at the junction of 23 & 919 we got confused. We needed to turn left however after trying a number of questionable roads we became completely flummoxed. confused.gif Then in a moment of clarity the wife figured out that inexplicably the paved 23 turned into 919 while 23 turned right and became a dirt road. Nice waterfall. We were tempted to buy another tripod in Eugene but without a quality option we were reluctant and decided to make do with what we had. Finding a camp spot was easy and we settled into a forest service site somewhere past the town of Nimrod and that giant Christmas tree on route 126. Day three and still nothing but sunshine, so the plan was to get to Proxy Falls before the light became too harsh. There was a gate on 242 so we had to endure just over two miles of road walking (yuck) each way but at least we had the falls to ourselves. Proxy Falls is a real photographer’s waterfall, it doesn't have the eye-popping stats of other cascades but it makes up for it in sheer beauty. Like many Oregon waterfalls it features columnar basalt, black 4x4s of rock. However the ones here are covered in moss so the waterfalls has this unique fuzzy green cubic look. Working our way back home we also stopped at a couple Mackenzie River waterfalls along the way. Koosah Falls was spectacular with a double rainbow and aqua blue water. Sahalie Falls was also very nice. The final stop was Silver Falls State Park. It appears to be a Portland tradition to have an Easter Sunday Picnic near South Falls as all 1.7 million residents appeared to be there. One by one they filed behind the falls before returning to the picnic area. Although this is the feature attraction there are several other major waterfalls in the park. The trail to Lower South Falls had a gate across it, we encountered a group on their way back and asked about the trail conditions - they had not encountered any but then again they had turned around because it was too far (less than a mile) rolleyes.gif . With our vast experience lol.gif we took our chances - one short section of stairs had been washed out otherwise the trail was in perfect condition. This little obstacle meant that we had these falls to ourselves as the other access (just over a mile) kept away all but the most hardcore hikers. Running short on daylight we had to forgo the whole loop and drove to the other key falls. Saving the best for last we ended our journey at another photographers special, Middle North Falls. However in order to get a complete shot of the waterfall one had to scramble down a steep embankment. My short-legged wife wasn't up to the task so I had to pinch hit for her and take this important shot - the last on the roll - myself. So there I was as she shouted out instructions - "put it on TV", "turn this dial to 4", "turn the polarizer", "don't forget to use the remote", "wipe the mist off the lens..." So I pulled out the pack of lens tissues...and watched every last one catch the wind and float down the river. That's why I just write the stories and she takes the pictures. Happy Hiking David & Karen more pictures on our website...
David jumping off the dunes
David jumping off the dunes
David at Proxy Falls
David at Proxy Falls
Middle North Falls
Middle North Falls

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 10:17 pm 
Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Sounds like you and your wife are quite the duo. cool.gif PS- If your wife hasn't already replaced her tripod, I suggest you buy a Bogen/Manfrotto. It's built like a bank vault.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 10:24 pm 
If you are ever back in Oregon looking for ATV areas. I suggest going to Sandlake, near Pafic City, Oregon. Dandy place to play.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 12:08 am 
Sounds like you had a good time. However, for future reference, don'tblow off the Gorge at this time of year just because of sunlight. Because the gorge is pretty much vertical walled, and 80% of all the waterfalls you'll encounter face north, they remain shaded for all, or most of the day until about early May. Of course, overcast is still preferred, but I went down there last year over spring break, and it was totally clear, yet the majority of the waterfalls I visited were shaded enough that photographs weren't a problem.

OR Native

OR Native
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 7:12 am 
We were dabating about heading to Silver Falls this past weekend, but did the Gorge instead. I grew up in Salem and so we always took visitors to Silver Falls and I am itching to go back and see it with our children. The rest of the population was at the Gorge...but thankfully like your encounter most people didn't go very far. Thanks for the trip down memory lane:)

Crazyforthetrail

Crazyforthetrail
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 6:35 am 
Beautiful Oregon
As an Oregon Native and growing up in Salem, Silver Falls was definately the spot for a picnic, swim & hike in the heat of summer. It was also our familys' New Years Day destination. Oregon was a place of exploration growing up and as a young adult! The hiking trails for the most part are extraordinary in Oregon..Thanks for your report! Now living in the state "next door north" I am discovering the outdoor opportunities here, but nothing compares to Oregon!

Save The Earth--It's The Only Planet With Chocolate!
OR Native

OR Native
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 8:31 am 
Crazyforthetrail--It took us many years to get back to OR. DH was militaryand just retired...we were mostly on the east coast, but last stationed up near Seattle (where he is from), but always wanted to get back to OR...and it finally happened. Enjoy WA now though...its great too!

Crazyforthetrail

Crazyforthetrail
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 7:07 pm 
Yes--there's ALOT to explore up here too! I'm hoping to find a few people to go on some hikes with this summer..either strolls or challengers. I may do the Wonderland around Rainier in September if all goes as planned between now & then. Thanks for your reply and glad to see some fellow Salemites! I lived in West Salem from age 3 to 33! I go back to visit from time to time, and thankfully it doesn't change much winksmile.gif --C.F.T.T.

OR Native

OR Native
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 10:27 am 
CFTT--Lived in south Salem (Sprague area) from 5 til 16...then up in Yakima. Back to OSU though and after graduation Beaverton for a while, then married and wherever the Navy sent us, lol! Haven't been back to Salem for about 20 years, but will go next week and take my mother to visit her friends. Will be fun to see how different it is after so long! Talked dh into taking a day off during the week this week and we will head to Silver Falls, so really looking forward to that.

Crazyforthetrail

Crazyforthetrail
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 6:46 pm 
Well, after 20 years there is ALOT of difference in Salem and the surrounding area. You'll have to let us know what you think when you return! South Salem has especially spread out as has West Salem, where I grew up. (Brush College was my grade school, Walker, then McKay High). Freeways have been widened and buildings torn down and new sparkling ones replacing them. Much of what was around 20 years ago is now gone, but a few jewels remain. A nice park on the Riverfront graces the city, Wallace Rd is now 4 lanes for miles, there is a new convention center/hotel going up downtown, and the malls have all been refurbished and upgraded from the old 70s styles. Skate Palace, my favorite hangout in the 70s is STILL there. So there are some things that are different, and some that remain. You'll be intrigued, I'm sure! Thanks for your posts in response. Enjoy Silver Falls! -CFTT

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 8:33 pm 
Crazyforthetrail wrote:
As an Oregon Native and growing up in Salem, Silver Falls was definately the spot for a picnic, swim & hike in the heat of summer. It was also our familys' New Years Day destination. Oregon was a place of exploration growing up and as a young adult! The hiking trails for the most part are extraordinary in Oregon..Thanks for your report! Now living in the state "next door north" I am discovering the outdoor opportunities here, but nothing compares to Oregon!
This is fun reading of the native Oregon folks, especially the Salem'ites. Before moving to Washington in 1987....yup, I was in Salem as well. I actually grew up my first 15 years between Albany and Corvallis on a large ryegrass/wheat/cattle farm, but lived out east of Salem toward Mt.Angle/Silverton areas in the country from 1977-1987. McNary High School, etc.... Silver Creek Falls State Park was my #1 place to go for all those years! Annual Christmas Eve-Day hike for me for 12 yrs in a row. Massive Bauer summer potluck picnics. A great area.

Crazyforthetrail

Crazyforthetrail
PostThu Apr 22, 2004 9:47 pm 
Thanks for sharing! It's great to connect with 'neighbors' and 'friends' from Salem! Must of been quite the place to grow up. Living in the country spoiled me, it was so far away from the city, at least it SEEMED like it smile.gif Silver Falls was so beautiful in the winter. Sometimes on New Years Day we'd hike along a railing with HUGE icicles dangling there, just waiting to be broken off, but instead we'd take pictures to send to relatives in sunnier parts of the country smile.gif Silver Falls was a haven to me!

rogue_hiker

rogue_hiker
PostFri Apr 23, 2004 9:04 pm 
Fun reading about all the memories of you "big city folk". I was raised in Sheridan, Oregon, just a half hour or so west of Salem. One of my earliest memories is of lying in a meadow of tall grass at Silver Creek (we were car camping there) enjoying the summer day and suddenly I heard -- or actually, felt -- a large thump, thump. I sat up and there was a deer. I got up and started walking up to it, and off it ran. I then followed it up one ravine and down another, until I figured I was good and lost, but I eventually found my way back to camp with an exciting story (well, for a grade schooler!) to tell. After graduating from L&C, I moved overseas, first for Peace Corps and then for work, and remained overseas for over 10 years. But when we moved back (only temporarily, alas!) to Oregon in 1995, I took my Honduran wife out to Silver Creek and we hiked the various trails. It didn't seem to have changed much, except that it seemed much, much smaller. My wife was as taken by the place as I had always been. Great memories!

OR Native

OR Native
PostSat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 am 
Yesterday dh took off of work and we headed down to Silver Falls. What a perfect day for it! With it being a tad rainy and not on the weekend there was hardly anyone else there...we saw 5 other people total! My dh and the kids had not been there before, but for me it was kindof wierd going back since I haven't seen it in at least 25 years. We did the canyon trail loop trail to jsut past the middle north falls, then to winter falls and back. Our daughter, who turns 13 in 2 weeks, does not enjoy hiking like the rest of us and so we always compromise, lol! Went back to the lodge and warmed up in front of the fireplace and had coffee and relaxed. Drove up through Silverton/Mt Angel on the way back home. I had never been through those towns, but had heard of them. I do remember my parents going to the Oktoberfest there though. Anyway, the kids spoke up that the towns reminded them of Gold Bar and Snohomish and I was just thinking the same thing. Mom arrives in a couple days from CA and we will head to Salem to visit her old friends...yup, me and the older ladies, lol! But it will be fun to see the town again. I want to drive through downtown and see the changes. I do remember once in college going there and all the one way streets had changed and they were opposite of what they were...boy was that interesting!

OR Native

OR Native
PostSat Apr 24, 2004 2:26 pm 
Forgot...Yes, Skate Palace! Spent lots of time there in elementary and jr high school, lol! Can't believe its still around! Growing up our family car camped, but that was it. Suttle Lake was our usual place, but every Memorial Day weekend it was the south twin. We just moved back here less than two months ago and it still seems strange to be back near my old places. Makes me feel old though when I see how much things have changed!!!