Forum Index > Photography Talk > I Purchased the Minolta A-1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 4:02 pm 
Well I test-drove both A1 & 2 at Glazers & first impression was man, these cameras are TINY. up.gif Second impression was neither EVF was that great- the A2's seemed a bit brighter, more contrasty & w/ better resolution- but doesn't come close to even a P&S viewfinder for resolution. down.gif The A1's EVF display was indeed blocky as you described but overall wasn't that much inferior to the A2's. Both camera's LCD displays had much better clarity than the viewfinders & they flip up for better viewing but it's a shame they don't rotate on their axis like Canon's for vertical shots. down.gif They are both loaded with buttons and geejaws that at first make ya wonder how in the hell will I figure this sucker out- but I know it's just a matter of familiarity. But I must say I don't have a lot of experience using digicam's LCD displays- I've almost always prefered using the optical viewfinder and found it much easier to view subjects with. So breaking this habit/preference seems a big challenge. Despite the A1 & 2's very good LCD screens they just don't compare to a good regular viewfinder IMO. Unfortunately EVF's for now are the only option in these fixed lens digicams with wide zoom ranges.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 5:57 pm 
I know Larry takes good photos but those puppies are really-really nice. up.gif Did you have to do much tweakin'? Hopefully, someday I'll be able to take a good phjoto. Someday. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 6:58 pm 
Hey Newt, thanks for the nice compliment! I think I did some minimal tweaking on the photos, mostly "on camera". I cropped in Photoshop, and I think I sharpened the Trillium shot a little on the computer. M&S: Yeah, that was the first impression for me...very small cameras! I was "wondering" about how a tiny camera could possibly do much, and that was the crux of my doubts at first. It's all such a crap shoot with our hard earned money, that's for sure. There's STILL nothing wrong at all with a film SLR and Velvia, you know! As far as viewfinder/subject clarity, I think that a D-SLR is the best in the digital world for brightness, although most of them have a "cropping factor" due to the difference between the sensor size and the optimum focal length of the lens (or something like that). Dang, it's a tough one. But, of course, we should have it so rough.... embarassedlaugh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 19, 2004 1:55 am 
I hear the cokin (square) filter system works well and has no vignetting issues. Do a search over at dpreview in the Minolta forum. I think there is a web page that lists the filters that don't vignette on the A1/A2/Dimage 7 series.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed May 19, 2004 11:41 pm 
What about still using a circular polarizer but getting an oversized one? Exactly what size would have to be determined by trying different sizes and seeing when the vignetting goes away. Way too big would be a waste of dough. Some of the wide step-up rings can get pricey too. The square/rectangular Cokin-like filters would certainly help with vignetting but then you have a larger piece of glass or resin to carry around with ya.

Andrew

Andrew
PostWed May 19, 2004 11:58 pm 
gary wrote:
Hey thanks, Tom. Look like I'll have to convert to the Cokin P filters. I always wanted to try one of the Singh-Ray ND filters. It's only money smile.gif
Whatever you do, do not buy the Cokin P graduated neutral density filters! The Cokin P holder is fine, but not their filters. They really aren't neutral and introduce unwanted color casts. Go with Hitech, which is relatively cheap (~$32) and has served me well. If you have a hefty wallet, spring for the Singh-Rays. Just remember, they're glass (the Hitechs are resin). smile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostThu May 20, 2004 7:09 am 
The popular "standard" if you want to use circular, seems to be a step-up ring to 62mm for avoiding vignetting. There is a guy who distributes very reasonably priced lens caps and hoods that will fit the 62mm nicely. I'll try to find the link.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 20, 2004 2:59 pm 
Make sure you do a search on dpreview. There are some round polarizers that don't vignette and don't require a step up ring. I think there was a Ritz (quantaray house brand) version reported to work well. Worst case, Ritz has a good return policy.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 20, 2004 3:30 pm 
Hmm, well the Quantaray may have been a UV filter that didn't vignette. Anyway, here is one post over at dpreview regarding a polarizer that didn't vignette. Just put vignette in the search field in the Minolta forum and you'll get plenty of other suggestions. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1024&message=6032094

Larry

Larry
PostFri May 21, 2004 1:29 pm 
Recent Minolta Pix
Don't know if these go here. The camera is doing well, although there were a couple of software glitches that have been solved with their "firmware" update. The camera is really a joy, and it is a whole new realm of creativity to not have to use the tripod so much. I just don't get out there much these days, but I was lucky enough to have some time recently.
Blue-Lupine-Balsam-Field-Ho
Blue-Lupine-Balsam-Field-Ho
Blue-Camas-Budding-Nice-Ver
Blue-Camas-Budding-Nice-Ver
Camas-Larkspur-Avy-Lily-Pod
Camas-Larkspur-Avy-Lily-Pod
Wild-Sweet-Pea
Wild-Sweet-Pea
Glacier-Lily-and-Cone
Glacier-Lily-and-Cone
Camas-Stamens-Close-Square
Camas-Stamens-Close-Square
Glacier Lily Very Close
Glacier Lily Very Close
Blue-Camas-Clover-Field
Blue-Camas-Clover-Field

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 21, 2004 3:18 pm 
Again, nice Larry. up.gif Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.