Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kartchner Caverns
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 11:53 am 
Just got back from our Arizona Trip, will put in some other reports later. We took the whole family on a trip to the caverns on Friday. Sorry Tom, no pictures after a few Tourons got over excited and damaged some formations. Tip, make reservations ahead, we did not and I had to drive from Tucson at 6:00 AM to get walk-in tickets then back to pick everyone up. The caves are a constant 68 degrees year round so not special clothing is needed. It was worth it however. There are two tours available the Throne/Rotunda room and Big room. We took the Big Room Tour, which just opened in November and is now as of Sunday closed due to pregnant bats and will not open until September. The caves are more interesting than any I have ever seen because they are kept in "virgin" condition. You enter through multiple airlocks with misting and air currents to decontaminate you. There are no colored lights and the areas are only lit when you are present. The result is that very delicate formations such as soda straws and helicites are still present. It is an active cave and formations are still being formed. It is quite extraordinary and different from any other "tourist" cave I have ever been at.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 3:16 pm 
Cool. up.gif I visited the caves about two months ago. We went on the Big Room tour. Thats a fascinating place.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 7:18 pm 
Thanks for the report. I'm definitely going to make it next trip to Arizona. We still didn't make it during on trip in March.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 8:00 pm 
I had the chance to visit a couple years ago. Not having been in many caverns before, I didn't know if it was anything special. I just remember the tour guide telling everyone not to touch anything. paranoid.gif Don't think you could bring a camera back then either.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 9:08 pm 
Our guide like to talk about Ape Caves near Mt. Rainier. embarassedlaugh.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 10:47 pm 
Turn off the lights and they're all the same anyway. doh.gif The Ape Caves are cool- except when lava was runnin' thru 'em. eek.gif