Forum Index > Trip Reports > Leavenworth Spring Break
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 8:30 pm 
I headed over to Leavenworth with my two boys (8 and 10) for some hard-sided camping (Icicle Inn) and some hiking. Mom, the accountant, was busy with tax season so it was just us guys. Tuesday we hiked a little ways along the Pipeline Trail in Tumwater Canyon. There is a little water on part of the trail. I couldn't coax the older one across the first stream crossing. You can't push this one too hard. The younger was ready to go across. But the older had his feet planted so we turned back. In retrospect, one slip the wrong way would have sent the younger one right down the creek's slippery rocks into the nearby torrent of the Wenatchee River. Unlikely, but wouldn't want to explain that to Mom. After that we picked up some sandwiches at Safeway and headed up Icicle Creek. Just past the end of the pavement the snow patches were too frequent to chance getting stuck. We found some roads to explore behind a locked gate and played in the snow. At the end of the day we toured the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery and walked the extensive path system. Wednesday we hiked up the Devil's Gulch trail that is located up Mission Creek from Cashmere. We went for a mile or so. We were the only people parked at the trailhead and on the trail. This is a beautiful spot and an ideal time of the year for this trail. Gradual path, wildflowers, and interesting sandstone formations. Thanks to Mike E. for the recommendation. Rain chased us back down to the car. We drove to Wenatchee for burgers and the Wenatchee Valley Museum. Every day ended with a dip in the hotel pool. Our last day was Thursday. We scrambled up the low hill at the intersection of US2 and Icicle Creek Road for some great views of the town and valley then headed for home. Hope the photo link works. I'm new to Fototime and this forum. Let me know if it doesn't work. Leavenworth Area

Let me stand next to your fire
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 24, 2004 6:31 pm 
Good report, thanks, and welcome. Your picture link works fine. I am thinking of heading up Icicle tomorrow, so the info helps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message