Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beacon Rock State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 8:37 pm 
Dicentra, Rainrunner, Zoe the Pooch, Ford and me headed down to Beacon Rock State Park in the Colubia River Gorge. We met up with Hikingdrew at the trailhead for Hamilton Mt. Headed up and got a site in the campground for the night. Hamilton Mt. has an upper TH off of the CG, and we took that one, it connects with the lower one under the power lines. Due to all the rain the day before, Roger and Hardy falls were running just gorgeous-and the forest was nicely damp. Though.....the poison oak is now turning green and hasn't been cut back yet as the trail heads uphill. We had lunch on the upper platuea, below the summit. Even with another storm coming in, the views were really good-we just couldn't see the volcanoes..... Di and Rainy did the summit, and the rest of us headed down. Ford and me did the newer Little Beacon Rock Trail which is well hidden. A quick trail that is like entering an alpine area...at 700ft! Very pretty and quiet smile.gif Us ladies and Ford spent the evening camping and trying out some new ideas for this summer's meals. The pooch enjoyed the leftovers... Rained during the night, but woke up to blue skies. After breaking camp we headed over to Beaacon Rock and did the neat trail to the summit. Truly fun! We also found the disapearing trail to Riedly (sp?) Lake, that is being allowed to go to bed. You can see the lake from Beacon Rock. Rain came afterwards, but we made it to Camas and found an old diner called Smitty's that had tasty grub..... Lots and Lots of poison oak. The summit of Beacon Rock is covered in it around the edges.....same for just above and below tree line at Hamilton. But no snow and hot days....well worth the drive! Picture is of me on Beacon Rock looking down on the Columbia River towards Windy Mt. More photos of the weekend at: http://community.webshots.com/album/135469779BYZZmY?288

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 9:50 pm 
Yet another great Posse trip!! biggrin.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 7:23 am 
You know it woman. Now to plan the next big one.......Mid may! Rainy and I were talking trail options yesterday, and me thinks we have a good one-if you can handle going to the Olympics again wink.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 8:37 am 
You already know where I want to go!!! biggrin.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 8:38 am 
Well, I'll have the final plans up this week for the Posse, as soon as this funky head cold goes away!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Apr 20, 2004 8:59 am 
Excellent! I'm ready for a BIG trip!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif hihi.gif