Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic Peninsula History
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 9:34 am 
There is a book about the Tubal Cain Mine that is out of print. I thought I wrote down the name and author but cannot find it. If anyone has this info I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Thanks There is a small museum in Quilcene that has some interesting history including pictures of the large CCC Camp that was located there.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 10:09 am 
This it? Long link, hope it works. http://s1.amazon.com/exec....1947945 NN:)

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 10:22 am 
I think that is the one. Thank you Newbie Newt.

-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 11:03 am 

reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 11:22 am 
Hi 2drx, here are the websites about that B-17 crash. You are right someone really put in a lot of work and research on it. http://www.peak.org/~mikey/746/index.htm http://www.aerovintage.com/485746.htm

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 12:52 pm 
For the history buffs: as of yesterday a signed copy of Eva Cook Taylor's ' The lure of Tubal-Cain' was available for $ 35. through bookfinder.com.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Feb 04, 2002 1:21 am 
There is also a few books written by Ms. Holt about the history of the Olympics...The Untamed Olympics, I believe though its been a few years since I read it. She wrote some pretty good stuff about Herb Crisler, too.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
RPBrown

RPBrown
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 10:16 pm 
I'm new to the site here. Eva Taylor, who wrote "The Lure of Tubal Cain" was my great aunt. I went into the mountains with her many times. She was quite a lady.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Aug 20, 2005 1:23 pm 
Welcome to the site RPBrown, are you from Quilcene? Here is an interesting article about the Notch Pass Trail in the Quilcene area that appeared in the Bremerton Sun that I ran across. Article Did you know Earl Ward? I worked for the state forest service in 1953 at Center and Earl Ward was in charge there. His wife did all the cooking and the meals were great. I think his picture is in Eva Taylor's book.

greg

greg
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 9:28 am 
Cool story Wooly. I was wanting to go hike that Notch Trail, until I read that a road hits it at the top.

RPBrown

RPBrown
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 5:37 pm 
Wooly, Am I from Quilcene? Is it that obvious?? Most of my family is from Quilcene, yes. I read that ridiculous story about the notch trail, and how it was supposedly used as a trade route with the local tribes. The notch trail was built by the CCC's. It started at the CCC camp on Penny Creek, went up through the gap on Green Mountain and dropped down to the Townsend Creek trail. Eva and I found it in the late 80's, before it was brushed out and it was in very good shape. Since it was so close to the CCC camp it received quite a lot of maintenance. Eva used to hike it in the late 30's and utilized it to gain access to the high country. And of course, to visit her friend Jack Conrad who lived and trapped at Sink Lake. She started at Rainbow on Mt. Walker, where she lived. Yes, I knew Earl Ward. That guy was a "walking history book" for local lore. He explained to me how Camp Mystery got it's name. He remembered quite well seeing the Tubal Cain mine operation in action. He really was quite a guy. Where are you at Wooly?

reststep

reststep
PostTue Aug 30, 2005 2:20 pm 
RPBrown, I am in Bremerton but I like to hike the trails in the Quilcene area. I was just a kid when I worked at Center. I wish I had known enough to ask Earl more about the history of the area. I think he lived to be over 100. I was reading in Eva's book that he took horses from Tull Canyon to the ridge above Silver Lakes and then down that steep slope to the lakes. I don't know how many years he was at Center. I don't know the story about how Camp Mystery got named. Would you care to share it? As far as you being from Quilcene you mentioned that you had hiked with Eva Taylor so I thought you might be from the area. That is quite a rock quarry they have going now on Penny Creek Road.

RPBrown

RPBrown
PostSat Sep 03, 2005 1:31 pm 
Hey Wooly, I sent you a PM and an email.