Forum Index > Trip Reports > Summit lake, Clearwater wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 8:52 am 
FS rd 7810 is blocked by deep snow about 1/4 mile before Coplay lake. Then the next mile or so is snow-free, then there is another 1/2 mile of realy deep snow before the summer trailhead is reached. From this point on the snow is five to eight feet deep. I followed footprints in the snow over towards the outlet stream from Twin lake, then uphill to a short section of the summer trail, then uphill along the stream, ignoring the summer trail's unfollowable switchbacks, right to Twin lake. The footprints disappeared, so using GPS and a TOPO! map, I headed up towards the ridge leading to Summit lake. I reached the ridgetop at about 5,200 ft, and started to contour over to Summit. The wind was howling through the trees, knocking branches down around me, and the freezing wind and blizzard conditions made continuing on inadvisable for a solo hiker. Did I mention the lightning? There was lightning. I rested up a bit, trying to decide to go on or turn back, then I heard a creak-crack-thump noise as a large branch landed nearby, and I bailed. The low, dark clouds prevented any Rainier views. I brought snowshoes and used them some, but if I went back tomorrow, I would leave them home, since the snow was so firm. Good boots, gaiters and poles would be plenty to get to Summit lake. A spot of decent weather and this lake is within reach of a moderately intrepid hiker with snow navigation skills. I may return next week, with another person for safety, if there will be a clear view of Rainier. Still it was a great day in the Clearwater wilderness. Trip stats: six miles R/T, 1,400 VF, six hours, five hiking, one resting. It was too cold and windy for much stopping. I was only 3/4 mile and two or three hundred VF from the lake, but with the danger, discomfort, and no views, it wasn't worth the risk to continue.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 9:11 am 
Dude. Listen to mother nature. She does not want you to reach a mountaintop.

Art is an adventure.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 9:23 am 
Stefan wrote:
Dude. Listen to mother nature. She does not want you to reach a mountaintop.
wink.gif Sure she does. But, unlike mother nature, Slugman has an interest in returning from the mountaintop. Better luck next time, Sluggy. Exciting day to be out there, eh?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 28, 2004 7:40 pm 
You said it, jimmy. I usually take an optimistic view of the weather forecast, but let me tell you, yesterday WASN'T "partly cloudy with a chance of showers"! lol.gif I'm not disappointed, though, because I knew in advance that if I had to do a lot of hiking just to get to the trailhead, and that if the snow was really deep, that I might not get to Summit lake, and would only make Twin lake, maybe. I got there and beyond, so that's cool. I never figured weather would turn me back, though. Usually it's energy or time, but I had plenty of those. I started out at 10 am, and headed back at 2 pm, and got back to the car at 4, so I still had four hours of trail time untill dusk. The good news is that I now know the lake is attainable, and so the first clear day that I can get someone else to go, I'm there. It will be worth it, since the Rainier views from there are unmatched. What are you doing this Sunday, jimmymac? Care for some adventure?

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Apr 29, 2004 7:24 am 
Slugman wrote:
The good news is that I now know the lake is attainable, and so the first clear day that I can get someone else to go, I'm there. It will be worth it, since the Rainier views from there are unmatched. What are you doing this Sunday, jimmymac? Care for some adventure?
I am interested, Sluggo. But I'm already adventuring on Saturday. If I survive that outing, Sunday looks like it's going to be an adventure in quality time with my blushing bride. I may be able to get away from work on one of your other days off in a the next few weeks (this coming Mon - Wed looks wet.)

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."