Forum Index > Photography Talk > Lens cleaning
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostFri Apr 30, 2004 1:23 pm 
I have a Cannon S50 digital camera. I noticed it’s getting kind of dusty on some of the sensors/lens. Can I just buy a generic lens cleaning kit and use it on the camera? Seems like a basic deal, but any comments are appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
xterminus

xterminus
PostFri Apr 30, 2004 2:50 pm 
cleaing off lenses
I wear glasses, so I just use my anti-fogging eyeglass wipes. I keep a couple in my camera case for when my own lenses fog up or get dirty, and then just use the rest on camera. I like that they're wet with alcohol too - which removes any gook build-up. The regular lense cleaning cloth that came with the camera doesn't seem to work as well. I buy my wipes at longs drugs, but I think they have them at walgreens too. A pack of 30 wipes should run 3 or 4 bucks. They look like those sanitary wipes that are included in first aid kits or if you prefer - the chicken-grease remover wipes you get with kentucky fried chicken. smile.gif One tip. If your camera accepts filters, buy an el-cheapo uv filter and keep it on your camera all the time. This way your camera lense will never actually get dirty, and if you scratch the filter - you just go buy another for 2 bucks. It also helps extend the life of digital cameras as sunlight will eventually wreck the ccd array.

Charles Mauch Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience comes from bad judgement.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 30, 2004 3:59 pm 
Get a lens pen - under $10 at any local camera shop. For something like the S50 you'll want the "mini" (smaller diameter) pen. A high volume blower brush is good thing to have too (unless you get fingerprints on the lens it's all you need to keep the lens clean and dust free).