Forum Index > Trail Talk > opinions on solo hiking...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 11, 2004 9:58 am 
Oh so true! Take the kids out with you-it's one of the best things to experience!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nwMiner

nwMiner
PostTue May 11, 2004 11:09 am 
I usually like to hike solo with my dog, away from all crowds and trails. I've only had one close call back in the 90's when I almost broke my leg in a valley near Index. My hike was pretty much over and I was tired. In site of the truck when down I fell. Ouch. I also have had to spend a few nights out alone. Do to my curiosity to see what's over the next rise. So, be prepared and enjoy. smile.gif

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue May 11, 2004 12:00 pm 
I like to go solo at least once or twice a season. It's just a good way to go out at your own pace and spend some time paying attention to what's around you and not who's with you. Goat Rocks in September is my favorite solo hike. It's not crowded, but there are enough people that are around that you don't have to worry about getting hurt and having nobody find you. Two years ago I was there solo and from the top of Johnson Peak I heard someone in the distance doing a lot of yelling. I was quite irritated at first, but then realized it was a mountain goat hunter down below in some very steep, rough terrain. He had just shot a goad and in his excitement to get down to it he slipped on some rocks and broke his leg very badly. I met with a couple that had a cell phone and we called the local police. The reception was very poor so I had to run all the way down to the car (which I did in an hour and a half) and find the search and rescue team that was assembling and tell them where the person was at. I had seen their search plane up on my way down and it was circling the wrong part of the wilderness. Anyway, I drew an X on the map where they were and the plane spotted him in seconds. He was airlifted out by helicopter with a compound fracture in his leg. There is nothing better, however, than going out with the family. I have a 16-month daughter and I've been taking her on overnighters since she was four months old. I don't go on especially advanced hikes with my wife and girl, but it's nice to just get out and enjoy some more leasurely ones and watch my little girl get excited about everything she sees.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Criminal

Criminal
PostTue May 11, 2004 2:13 pm 
Quote:
He had just shot a goad....snip
I imagine that would smart a bit.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
obladi

obladi
PostWed May 12, 2004 2:11 am 
Solo Hiking
Personally I love solo hiking largely because that is the situation I have been thrust into: It is hard to find people who are looking for the same hikes as me and have the same schedule. I don't think there is a lot to worry about if you are prepared. Bring the basic items, hang your food and be prepared for changes in the weather (bring rain gear even if the forcast says it will be sunny for the next 90 days). I don't feel the need to bring a weapon but I can understand why one would. I have had some close encounters with black bears but the always wonder off or scamper up the mountain out of fear. If you witness the scamper after surprising the bear only feet away your heart will stop and you will spend restless nights wondering what every twig snap is. It will also teach you valueable lessons on self-reliance. I should add that I do look forward to seeing animals in the wild including bears and Mountain Lion and doing a little reading for venturing out will get you adequately prepared for an encounter should one occur. All in all solo hikes allow a great deal of freedom to adjust plans as you go and learn to exist for a few days in another creatures land.

As you push off from the shore, won't you turn your head once more, to make your peace with everyone And for those who choose to stay, You'll live for one more day, to do the things you should have done. -Ian Anderson
hikermike

hikermike
PostWed May 12, 2004 9:19 pm 
Can someone look up the stats? By my recollections, I don't think solo hikers account for any more "rescues" than those in groups. (Please excuse hunters from the group, they are a different breed entirely, I've met some real dolts out ther).