Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rainy Lake (5/1/04)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 01, 2004 8:36 pm 
Headed up to Rainy Lake today with Dayhike Mike. Hit snow at around 3200', which unfortunately covered up the trail at a critical junction where we should have crossed an unmapped creek. Headed too far west before realizing our mistake necessitating a steep traverse to get back on trail. Rainy Lake is about 10% thawed. Overall a good workout. This trail is much longer and steeper than it gets credit for. 5 hours up, 3 hours down.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat May 01, 2004 9:39 pm 
What mountain is that sticking up in your middle picture?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat May 01, 2004 10:41 pm 
Preacher Mtn. Next time we're gunna climb it too. wink.gif ---- Man, I am *beat*. I honestly thought this was going to be a cakewalk. Boy was I wrong wrong wrong. Part of it had to do with the snow and misplaced trail, but most of it had to do with my early season condition and lack of recent exercise. My legs were a couple notches past exhausted by the time I got home tonight (gotta get me some of those trekking poles). The trail's relentless, quirky, with an enjoyable state of disarray. BTW - We found a new use for a GPS unit. One of my water bottles ended up falling out of a side pocket...on the route down, we used it to retrace our steps and earlier route -- a couple minutes into the effort, the missing nalgene bottle was found and bound for home.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat May 01, 2004 11:14 pm 
Cool. cool.gif Preacher will be a cake cakewalk, Beckey says "no difficulties." winksmile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 02, 2004 6:21 am 
Great report guys. Man it took YOU guys five hours. Wow. I havent been all the way to the lake, sos Im not going to dog you for that one...... It'll be good to hear from you about it tinight. TB doh.gif winksmile.gif doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 02, 2004 9:14 am 
Well, considering that it is May 1st, I'd say we are in for a good snow melt early this year. Bad for the water table, good for us. Rainy should be totally snow covered on May 1st I'd say. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon May 03, 2004 12:00 pm 
Actually, I believe Preacher is further to the right in that picture. If I remember correctly, you can't see the summit from Rainy. We did Preacher from Rainy Lake a few years ago. Not bad, the worst part is getting around and over Rainy. After that it's pretty open and easy. We descended into the Pratt River valley; don't do that.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 03, 2004 12:14 pm 
That makes a little sense...we were trying to get a bearing on that haystack on our topo...looks like that may have been point 5675 on the north end of the mass that is Preacher. How were the views from up there? Looks like it'd be pretty impressive. Regarding downclimbing, I'd be inclined to drop east, past Horseshoe, Shamrock, and Elbow, and head down the snaking ridgeline just west of the drainage west of Cripple Creek. Or if my climbing partner didn't want to navigate labyrinthine ridge systems, I'd take the overgrown boot path down from Derrick along Cripple Creek. BTW - How'd you go about Nine Hour? We saw a big log crossing Rainy Creek about a third of the way up to the lake that looked like it might be a good place to cross and begin the ascent. Dropping to Nine Hour from above also looked doable...nice open ridge above it, although it might be a bit hairy in places.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon May 03, 2004 1:48 pm 
Quote:
That makes a little sense...we were trying to get a bearing on that haystack on our topo...looks like that may have been point 5675 on the north end of the mass that is Preacher.
Yeah, that's the one.
Quote:
How were the views from up there? Looks like it'd be pretty impressive.
They were great...when they weren't obscured by clouds. A little drizzle that day.
Quote:
Regarding downclimbing, I'd be inclined to drop east, past Horseshoe, Shamrock, and Elbow, and head down the snaking ridgeline just west of the drainage west of Cripple Creek. Or if my climbing partner didn't want to navigate labyrinthine ridge systems, I'd take the overgrown boot path down from Derrick along Cripple Creek.
Sounds pretty good. More rewarding than the way we went.
Quote:
BTW - How'd you go about Nine Hour? We saw a big log crossing Rainy Creek about a third of the way up to the lake that looked like it might be a good place to cross and begin the ascent. Dropping to Nine Hour from above also looked doable...nice open ridge above it, although it might be a bit hairy in places
We started from the outlet of Rainy and did a pretty level traverse all the way over. Several tough spots with lots of bad brush on really steep slopes and amongst cliff bands. I wouldn't do it again. It was raining that day too bawl.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed May 05, 2004 8:41 am 
Quote:
This trail is much longer and steeper than it gets credit for. 5 hours up, 3 hours down.
Longer than I thought, good to know. Attempted Rainy Lake on 3/21 but was stymied by snow around 2400', a ways past this nice view looking down the trail...
view
view

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 05, 2004 9:39 am 
Well now, that there is a MAN sized file. 56K people do NOT attempt that down load. Maybe I'll have to do Rainy in the next few weeks. Never did make it to the lake. Back when I did it you had to wade accress the river and then find the trail. It wasnt much of one either. TB embarassedlaugh.gif winksmile.gif hmmm.gif agree.gif doh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 05, 2004 11:07 am 
As far as our time up, we were going fairly slow. We probably could have cut an hour off if we were in better shape.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Well now, that there is a MAN sized file. 56K people do NOT attempt that down load.
Attachment shrunk by a factor of 20. ninja.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed May 05, 2004 1:45 pm 
Quote:
Well now, that there is a MAN sized file. 56K people do NOT attempt that down load.
Sorry bout that! I was in a hurry and forgot to check the file size, won't do that again. Yup, I admit... on broadband... I was only going to do it for the cheap intro period and then go back to dialup but they got me hooked smile.gif