Forum Index > Trip Reports > Iron Peak - 5/1/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostMon May 03, 2004 8:54 am 
The snow is melting fast in the Teanaway area. No snow at the Beverly Creek trailhead. No snow at Bean Creek. The creek was too high to rock hop but no problem to ford. About 1/4 mile beyond the creek the first snow patches began. By 4500' it was half snow. The only flowers were around Bean Creek. Where we came out of the forest the snow was only about 12 inches deep with some bare spots. Where we crossed the creek in the upper basin it was about 4 feet deep. Snow bridges are weakening rapidly. We found a bridge over a log which was solid. As we climbed the views improved rapidly. Bill Peak and then Mt. Stuart to the north. Bean and Mary Peaks to the east. The snow was very good for the final climb. The upper 4-6 inches was soft with a hard pack below. Perfect for snowshoe traction. There were fresh telemark tracks on the east slope where we ascended. Views from the top were outstanding. Rainier, the Cascade crest, Mt. Daniel, and all the Teanaway area peaks were still shining with a brilliant coating of white. As always, the highlight was the 500' glissade off the summit ridge. 20 minutes up and 20 seconds down. This area is melting out fast. Late May scrambling conditions are in effect now. Get out and enjoy it! 28 photos have been posted at: Iron Peak
Mt. Stuart And Teanaway Peak
Mt. Stuart And Teanaway Peak
Climbing The Final Slope
Climbing The Final Slope
Glissade Track
Glissade Track

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
frankm3

frankm3
PostMon May 03, 2004 9:19 am 
Jim- I always enjoy reading your trip reports! In fact, I stand in awe of the vertical feet gained in some of your trip stats; I think some of your trips log more elevation in one day than I do in several months sometimes! Frank

JimK

JimK
PostMon May 03, 2004 9:55 am 
Thanks Frank, Some folks on this board put me to shame regarding elevation gain. Iron Peak is the same distance as Mt. Si with about 300' less gain. It's just a whole lot more interesting.