Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chelan Lakeshore Trail 5/1/2004
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pika

pika
PostTue May 04, 2004 9:39 pm 
I continued my exploration of Eastern WA with the Chelan Lakeshore Trail. I've heard there are rattlesnakes over there, and now I know it's true, having almost stepped on one! Snakes freak me out. Aside from the reptilian encounter, it was a fantastic hike. Although, a two-day weekend makes it a bit quick. I think early April would've been the ideal time to catch the wildflowers at their peak, but they were still nice. Many of the pines are scorched from forest fires, but I found that the charred bark amidst the soft green grasses made for strikingly beautiful contrast. I'll definitely be back to Stehekin later in the summer to try some of the higher trails, but, for now, this one at low elevation was perfect. A more detailed trip report and more photos can be found at: http://pbehmer.com/epics/20040501

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed May 05, 2004 10:29 am 
Excellent photo of the rattlesnake on your site Pika! Was that "about two miles in" near a main creek crossing area? While I have never hiked the lakeshore trail myself yet I know many who have and each has seen up to six rattlesnakes in a short 1/2 mile stretch "a few miles up" from the start of the hike. So I'm guessing your encounter is very consistant with the word from eveyrone else I know who has been up there. A WTA week long work party was in that area last year---they were on their guard a bit as they worked, that I know smile.gif Thanks for sharing your long trips.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 05, 2004 10:40 am 
Gotta love that 185 on floats. I followed the wrong carrier path. Shoulda been flyin. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
pika

pika
PostWed May 05, 2004 11:35 am 
Alan, Judging from the timestamps on my photos, I think the rattlesnake would've been close to 4 miles in. What I would really like is a digital camera with a built-in GPS. That way I would know exactly where every shot was taken. Maybe someday...

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed May 05, 2004 11:50 am 
pika wrote:
What I would really like is a digital camera with a built-in GPS. That way I would know exactly where every shot was taken. Maybe someday...
Check this baby out!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?