Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lena Lakes April 23-25
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
G C Thomas

G C Thomas
PostFri May 07, 2004 10:24 pm 
So I took my 8 year old daughter on her first Daddy-Daughter hike on April 23-25. We went to lower lena lake. She did quite well. When we arrived we were the only ones there. A couple more showed up that first night. The lake was beautiful but I was very disappointed to find garbage strewn about everywhere. She had her first freeze dried meal and we went to bed. The next morning we got up and started toward upper lena. I did not expect to be able to get there but I wanted to see how close we could get. The hike up was great. We did not start hitting patches of snow until almost mile two. We were within about a mile I think when we came to a pretty big finger or slide chute whatever the proper term would be. We started to cross but my daughter was not up to it so we turned back. When we arrived back at our camp we found about three scout troops had come in and set up camp all around the lake. I had one scout leader come up to me and tell me to move my tent get out of the camp or my tent would burn down when they had a "25 person" bon fire that night. He was very threatening. I did not want to make a scene with my daughter there so we packed up after lunch and left. While we ate our lunch My daughter watched as these scouts set up traps for the very tame chipmunks (or squirrels?)They caught about 5 or 6 of them, played with them as boys would and let them go. I was not happy about this. We then hiked out and camped down on the Hamma Hamma the next night. On the way out, I checked the sign in sheets and took down the troop number (they were from Gig Harbor) and am currently trying to get some one to call me. The good thing about my trip was that I got to spend a good weekend bonding with my daughter but I think I will pick somewhere else next time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
G C Thomas

G C Thomas
PostFri May 07, 2004 10:36 pm 
Yes. I wanted to make a scene and would have for sure if my daughter was not with me. She is only eight so I just reminded her that Boy's are evil at least until they are like 20. And of course I felt proud that she knew more about proper hiking etiquette than these boys seemed to.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat May 08, 2004 8:01 am 
A bummer! But I am glad you had a good trip otherwise smile.gif And bravo for getting their numbers!! I hope you raise a stink to the leaders of that troop.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 08, 2004 9:00 am 
You might give a note or call high up in the BSA. Seems like some scouts and their masters are tarnishing their image lately, at least from what I've been reading. Glad you and your daughter had a fun time otherwise. New

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSat May 08, 2004 11:39 am 
Lena is pretty isn't it? I'm glad you didn't let the scouts ruin your good time. Kudos to your for reporting their bad behavior.

rentonhighlands

rentonhighlands
PostSun May 09, 2004 2:15 pm 
please send out contact informtion for this group of people so we can file complaints for these people: there is no reason to feel unsafe while hiking in our outdoors: this is unexceptable behavior!

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon May 10, 2004 1:13 pm 
How disheartening. Hopefully everyone who sees this kind of behavior will report it to the land management agency (FS, NPS) and the BSA.

rentonhighlands

rentonhighlands
PostMon May 10, 2004 1:13 pm 
please send out contact informtion for this group of people so we can file complaints for these people: there is no reason to feel unsafe while hiking in our outdoors: this is unexceptable behavior!

Pin Toe
Hiking Did That 2 Me

Pin Toe
Hiking Did That 2 Me
PostSat May 15, 2004 7:27 pm 
No excuse for this type of behavior from a boy scout troop. I certainly wouldn't put up with the behavior you described. I am sorry and as a scout leader (of a completely different group) I apologize for the behavior this obviously errant group. They would be in the Pacific Harbors Council, probably in the Narrows View district. If you haven't already filed a complaint, please visit http://www.pacificharbors.org/index.phtml?pg=contact and do so. You may also want to contact the district executive for their district, John Tupper, at jtupper@bsamail.org. The troops have to file a written form to obtain a trip permit for each trip or they don't have BSA insurance coverage for their trip. If they act like this, the council can refuse to grant them future trip permits. Sounds like the leader you mentioned needs at least a stern warning, if not a suspension of membership. The council can do that too. Sorry you had a bad experience with this group of boy scouts. Hopefully, you'll run into our group on the trail sometime and have a better experience. --Earnie Glazener Scoutmaster BSA Troop 500 Sammamish Chief Seattle Council