Forum Index > Trip Reports > new Lime Kiln Trail - preview 5/10/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
frankm3

frankm3
PostMon May 10, 2004 7:00 pm 
This morning Zoe and I headed out to meet up with M&S (Moose and Squirrel) and hike the Lime Kiln Trail. He is a trail volunteer (and an all-around super guy too) who assisted in reclaiming this section of the original Everett & Monte Cristo railway from the encroaching forest. The hike is located somewhere outside the town of Granite Falls; I am not trying to be intentionally mysterious; but it all works out for the best...because I don't remember directions, etc., or how to get there (other than in the most general sense), and the trail's not officially open just yet anyway. It's about 3-3 1/2 miles each way of relatively easy/ flat hiking, a part of the walk is along some decommissioned logging-type roads you follow to a trail junction/connection with the original grade of the E.& M.C. tracks, and enter the canyon of the Stillaguamish. Lots of neat historic artifacts can be seen along the trail. My sincere hope is that some of these things will be left as is for all to see; there was a lot of pottery shards, stove pieces, everyday object type of stuff like pots and pans, etc. that was pretty neat. The lime kiln itself is the historical highlight of the hike; it's a pretty neat monolithic appearing stone masonry ruin which stands perhaps about 30' tall, with open hearths on several sides where lime was produced during the 1890s. The trail continues along the original grade; we passed some timber ruins of a railway trestle, you ascend over a flooded cut area as you approach the river, and the trail ends facing the remains of a concrete bridge abuttment and metal components of the old truss bridge across the grey-colored water. What really impressed me most about this trip was the size/ amounts/ varieties of ferns, berries, and other neat damp-dwelling vegetation, and the 'lushness' of the area in general; it's easy to see that a lot of effort was required just to reclaim what is the trail at all. We actually surprised a deer (who surprised us as well) who was bedded down right next to the trail. I bet if it had done nothing at all, my guess is we might have not even seen it as the brush is so thick. Lots of huge slugs in this area and hummingbirds too; be careful out there. It was a treat to meet and spend time with M&S, we had a real fun time and this was a really neat trip to take so close to home too; it look less than an hour from my house to meeting w/ M&S in the thriving Metropolis of G.F. Frank
flower
flower
fungus
fungus
kiln
kiln
maidenhair
maidenhair

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 10, 2004 8:02 pm 
My progeny awaken! Mmuuaaahahahahaha! Soon the whole forest will be ours! devilsmile.gif I don't want you to give away the "secret" of the trail location ahead of schedule, but is it near the Old Robe Valley trail? Perhaps the other end of the Stilly's canyon?

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon May 10, 2004 8:10 pm 
frankm3---great to hear you hooked up with m&s and got the grand tour! He was looking forward to meeting you and indeed you sound like a true top rate person. I'm sorry I wasn't able to join you two clowns today as I had originally hoped. Alas, duties such as going to math club after school and stuff like that with kidlet #1 were my duties today. Maybe someday we'll hook up soon..... I had a great hike up the Lime Kiln trail with m&s last winter. It's a speical place for certain. Glad you added one more to your army of Lime Kiln trail lovers today M&S! Remember all the cool early morning ice crystals you and I got to photograph on our hike up there? Took us what, an hour to hike the first 1/2 mile? biggrin.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon May 10, 2004 8:24 pm 
Sluggo, your offspring were advancing in mass per your orders "Today Granite Falls, tomorrow, The World!!!! Now, my children....go forth and slime!!! Wahahahahahaha. Yes, the trail is in the Robe Canyon opposite the Old Robe Trail with the cool train tunnels. Don't anybody ask like Catwoman (who?) did a while ago, "Meow....so why all the secrecy????" (scratch, paw) Becaaaaaaaause, the trailhead area isn't finished, there isn't a parking lot built yet, and since it isn't and there is NO parking available in the quiet neighborhood it will be located in we would like to stay on friendly terms with said neighbors and not have yahoos blocking driveways or street access. Please respect this folks! Also, it goes without saying that anyone filching or messing around with historical artifacts is a lousy sob who shall rot in hell. Please look but don't touch, leave it for others to enjoy. Thank you! up.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon May 10, 2004 8:27 pm 
Alan Bauer wrote:
frankm3---great to hear you hooked up with m&s and got the grand tour! He was looking forward to meeting you and indeed you sound like a true top rate person. I'm sorry I wasn't able to join you two clowns today as I had originally hoped. Alas, duties such as going to math club after school and stuff like that with kidlet #1 were my duties today. Maybe someday we'll hook up soon..... I had a great hike up the Lime Kiln trail with m&s last winter. It's a speical place for certain. Glad you added one more to your army of Lime Kiln trail lovers today M&S! Remember all the cool early morning ice crystals you and I got to photograph on our hike up there? Took us what, an hour to hike the first 1/2 mile? biggrin.gif
Alan, the slugs today were faster than our progress that morning! I wanted to show you so much like an overeager child but you just ignored me and shot ice crystals on leaves. I thought that was soooo rude. tongue.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon May 10, 2004 9:55 pm 
Sounds like an awesome trip! I have yet to explore that area... Watch out for the slugs and hummingbirds? I'm not sure what you mean by that... tongue.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 10, 2004 10:17 pm 
Well, everyone knows the dangers posed by slugs, so you must mean the hummingbirds. One day my friend Yetiman and I were at Golden gardens park, up on the bluff, north of the off-leash dog area, watching the sun get ready to set, and a hummingbird kept whizzing past us at about one million miles per hour, always in the same direction. He (she?) must have kept circling around behind us, only to fly past again and again. We both agreed that if a bird at that speed was to hit someone, it would kill them instantly, or at least leave a mark. So "be careful out there" is right!

frankm3

frankm3
PostTue May 11, 2004 9:02 am 
Thanks for the kind words guys; that really was a fun day. Alan I am sure we will connect someday before long! Slugman- you do need to get out there as soon as the trail opens and teach your minions to lie in wait off the trail. They're not going have a fruitful career in your army of evil if they all get stepped on. These things were literally everywhere; by far the highest concentration of slugs I have encountered thus far. paranoid.gif

RollingB

RollingB
PostTue May 11, 2004 9:42 am 
Frank - I thought we were friends? You drive right past my place to get there and you don't call, you don't write, or you didn't even PM me. I'm crushed bawl.gif Not really but I figured I'd try and make you feel a little guilty. Great pic's and like always I like your TR. up.gif M&S I'm off on Monday's so if you're so inclined to do another trip anytime soon I'd love to tag along. agree.gif I believe our old Scout Master Chuck S. is involved with this too. Sounds like it has come a long ways.

"Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of Arriving Safely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming ----WOW ----What A Ride!!!" Author Unknown
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 11, 2004 12:50 pm 
Mr. Scott, sure I'll giva ya a holler soon. I know the scouts have helped out a lot on the trail.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 11, 2004 1:09 pm 
I'm excited about this trail, too. Can't wait til it opens! Nothing beats the history of Mtn Loop area. I also love the Robe Valley trail. I read the population of Robe was once 500. There's a giant tree on the Stilly at the townsite under which I like to imagine the preacher must have proposed marriage to the new schoolmarm. Shortly thereafter, I'm quite sure a flood ripped through the canyon and practically destroyed everything, gashing the granite, leaving gaping voids in the canyon walls and dripping with agony and despair. But that's beside the point. Well, maybe not....

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 11, 2004 1:53 pm 
Quark wrote:
I read the population of Robe was once 500. There's a giant tree on the Stilly at the townsite under which I like to imagine the preacher must have proposed marriage to the new schoolmarm. Shortly thereafter, I'm quite sure a flood ripped through the canyon and practically destroyed everything, gashing the granite, leaving gaping voids in the canyon walls and dripping with agony and despair. But that's beside the point. Well, maybe not....
It was 498 after the two lovebirds were swept away upon the floodwaters. I sometimes hear their cries in the ripples and froth of the river...a tragic story it is.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 18, 2004 7:59 pm 
I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know I finally remembered the short story about a lime kiln man. It's Nathanial Hawthorne's "Ethan Brand." It's about a lime kiln man who one day gets up and decides to search the world, and find, the Unpardonable Sin. A lime kiln is described thus: "It was a rude, round, tower-like structure about twenty feet hight, heavily built of rough stones, and with a hillock of earth heaped about the larger part of its circumference; so that the blocks and fragments of marble might be drawn by cart-loads, and thrown in at the top. There was an opening at the bottom of the tower, like an oven-mouth, but large enough to admit a man in a stooping posture, and provided with a massive iron door...it resembled nothing so much as the private entrance to the infernal regions, which the shepherd of the Delectable Mountains were accustomed to show to pilgrims." According to this story, it took about 3 days in the furnace to convert rock to lime. I assume time varies according to certain grades of material. The story has several wonderful descriptions of the lime kiln in operation. If one felt like a scary trip to the lime kiln, one could read this Hawthorne tale (Hawthorne loves creepy tales of Man's dark side). Especially scary if, for instance, it were thundering while hiking in. That'd be cool.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue May 18, 2004 8:07 pm 
So what was the unpardonable sin? Not knowing how to order a double mocha fratalindo with cream?

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 18, 2004 11:21 pm 
Sheesh Quark, you're creeping me out now about that lime kiln- thanks a whole heckuva lot. The Gate to Hell is just around the corner and up the street. paranoid.gif Well, thank goodness there's no iron around close by to attract that lightning! embarassedlaugh.gif lol.gif