Forum Index > Trip Reports > Inland NW Ramble: Okanagon Highlands/Kootenay Regions, BC
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon May 10, 2004 11:53 pm 
<NOTE: This is a very short version of what ended up being a 3800+ word journal entry...to spare those not wanting something like that here, I post this and just contact me if you want a copy of what I sent a few people I know: the whole story, of which 1/2 is written by Mittens the wonder Border collie in her own "words"! Photos to be shared when I have more time....> INLAND NORTHWEST RAMBLE 2004, PART 1: OKANAGON HIGHLANDS AND KOOTENAY REGIONS OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA THURSDAY APRIL 29, 2004 - SUNDAY MAY 2, 2004 THURSDAY, APRIL 29 Tickville, B.C., followed by Tickville, USA were a theme of my first long adventure trip of 2004 as I complete work for the next upcoming project. But more on that later in the story.... I threw Mittens the wonder Border collie into the rig and got away from the ranch by 6:10pm on Thursday April 29th and had plans to get as far as possible so I wouldn't have far left to begin working on Friday morning. With almost all of my intended areas being in the interior of British Columbia this time my evening took me to Oroville, WA just south of the border. I got there by 10:32pm and enjoyed wildlife sightings such as wild turkey, western bluebirds, turkey vultures, ospreys, one bald eagle, and many quail and pheasants. Nothing like bird watching at 65-75MPH! There was also four elk in a meadow just outside of Cle Elum and enough deer to lose interest in seeing more that close to the highway! FRIDAY, APRIL 30 We left Oroville, WA at 6:02am. North across the border and then at Osoyoos, B.C. headed east on Hwy 3. Great climb out of the valley and balsamroot flowering everywhere! East on Hwy 3 to Rock Creek, north up Hwy 33 to Beaverdell, up gravel roads and hiked to Lower and Upper Collier Lakes. Stunning moose country, but no moose. Common loons, ospreys, and TICKS! Amazed to find no snow up here at 4200'+. Back out we enjoyed a bear cub crossing the dirt road. Cute! Back to Hwy 3, east, stop and hike up Thimble Mountain NW of Grand Forks. Flower mania here. Then through Grand Forks, north up Granby River Road 48km, then up 12km of rough gravel road to be stopped by a down tree 3 miles short of our goal: Upper Granby River Trail. Will need to return in my late June trip to get into this grizzly country of the Granby Provincial Park. Back to Grand Forks, B.C. for the night. SATURDAY, MAY 1 Leave Grand Forks by 6am, past lovely smooth Christina Lake, up over stunning Paulson Summit, and had my socks blown off with the early day views of Nancy Greene Lake. Old Glory, the highest mountain in the Rossland Range, reflecting in the waters. Oh my! Through Castlegar, B.C., through Nelson, B.C. and up to Balfour to take the ferry across Kootenay Lake. WOW!!! Once across, hike Pilot Bay Provincial Park. This was one of my favorite hikes of the trip! Lots of poison ivy however too--glad the dog stayed put in front of me as I directed her on leash. From here we went through Crawford Bay, south on Hwy 3a along Kootenay Lake, but stopped at Lockhart Creek Provincial park to hike up Lockhart Creek. A stunning forest hike through cedars and firs along a great creek---if you go all the way you enter prime grizzly habitat as it goes to 7000'+ over a pass and into alpine Baker Lake 15km in. Then south more driving to Creston. Stopped at Creston Valley Wildlife Management Area---tons of yellow headed blackbirds, geese, ospreys, mergansers, canvasbacks, and more. West from Creston, B.C. over stunning Kootenay Pass, almost hit four bighorn sheep in road (two were SITTING in the road), cry over missed photo op due to no place to stop, and down through Salmo and to Champion Lakes Provincial Park. Hike around all the lakes and enjoy such an amazing peaceful end to the day at 4500' and finally end the day at 7:00pm and drive to Castlegar for the night. Long day. But a perfect day. SUNDAY, MAY 2 Go NW of Castlegar at 6:30am to Syringa Creek Provincial Park. Hike along lakeshore and then up Yellow Hill trail. Drive back through Castlegar, down Hwy 22 through Trail, then Rossland---these are the most neat towns! Like going back in history. Down from Rossland back to enter the USA. Head south along Hwy 25 through Northport, to Kettle Falls, then west on hwy 20. Head up to Trout Lake and hike into Hoodoo Canyon to Emerald Lake to finish off the last hike of my trip. TICKS here too. Blah. Drive to Republic, south on Hwy 21 down along the Sandpoil River, and cross the Columbia River on the historic Keller Ferry. Fun! Then drive home...Wilbur...Hartline...Coulee City....Soap Lake...Ephrata...George...Vantage...boom, rig melts down and almost stops running (blown distributor cap...but I limp on my way in 3rd gear slowly at 50MPH)...limp...pray...no other options late on a Sunday...limp...pray...roll into the Fall City homestead just before 9pm. Rig fixed next day, I lived and can't wait for my planned late-June trip back to the same areas for the high elevation areas I need to see and photograph! Yes! Alan L. Bauer 04/29/04-05/02/04

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 11, 2004 1:38 pm 
Holy cow, what a report! up.gif But most humans would slump down in utter exhaustion following your itinerary! At least you ate well, stopping at an A&W I see. shakehead.gif Probably the only place that didn't serve ticks either I bet. Thanks for sharing all the info Alan, B.C. exploring is definitely in my future. Looking forward to some pics too. up.gif

Trevor

Trevor
PostTue May 11, 2004 1:42 pm 
An amusing report AB. I am also eagerly anticipating some photographs. get them up soon!

RollingB

RollingB
PostTue May 11, 2004 3:26 pm 
WOW eek.gif Is all I can say. I'm tired just reading the Reader's Digest version. Can't wait to see your usual awesome pictures.

"Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of Arriving Safely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming ----WOW ----What A Ride!!!" Author Unknown
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 11, 2004 4:26 pm 
hey alan, next time you head up there be sure to take a look at the Sinlahekin valley. It's spectacular and makes a great loop trip with little pavement all the way S to Loup Loup pass, and right by the site of historic Ruby. IMO the best way is from the N, starting at Oroville, then W and S along the Similkameen river, then S past Palmer lake and down the Sinlahekin proper, continuing to pavement near Conconully and then back onto dirt to Ruby and beyond to Loup Loup. The immense grassy U shaped valley of the Similkameen is really, really cool.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers