Forum Index > Trip Reports > Roslyn Cemetary, 05/11/2004
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue May 11, 2004 11:36 pm 
OK, so maybe I didn't need snowshoes....or ice axe....or even boots for this non-technical route on the hillside above Roslyn, Washington. But I needed my camera gear as my huntch to hit the cemetary for wildflowers was an added bonus on my drive home from the Beezley Hills. I've never in my life seen not hundreds, but thousands of Chocolate Lilies blooming in such close proximity! It was fascinating. Lupines are just starting to bloom, balsamroot, larkspur, purple violets, strawberry, Solomon seal....there was noted at least 23 species of flowers here in the 45 minutes we were shooting! And it was quiet. Real quiet. A well worthy stop for anyone enjoying wildflowers, cemetaries, or if like me, both! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 12, 2004 12:20 pm 
Just gorgeous! Is this an old cemetry?

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 12, 2004 12:47 pm 
If you've never been to the cemetary, go! It covers acres and acres of coalminers and their families. It's categorized by ethicity and according to the Lodge to which they belonged. Some stones even have photos embedded in them. It's interesting to see the progression (retardation) of the names as the years went by; more and more Americanized. My freind Erik the Nav said Lodges and the dues created therein created a brotherhood that took care of the injured or miners and their families, like insurance does nowadays. The funds from each Lodge covered the cost of burial.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 12, 2004 12:52 pm 
Thanks, I have an odd liking of old cemetaries-I love walking thru them and feeling the history. And it's a bonus when they are well taken care of. (when I was a teenager it was criminal to me that the pioneers cemetary in Tumwater was an overgrown weed patch -and you could barely find the headstones!!)

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed May 12, 2004 3:39 pm 
ditto.gif to what Quark and Alan said, by all means get over there to see it! up.gif It's huge and pooped me out trying to see it all in one day (I'm such a fairweather wuss). What history and interesting gravestones. It's neat in all seasons too- I went when frost was on the ground on the last Autumn day before snow flew up there. Of course ya can't just see the dead folks, god bless 'em all, Rosyln is just wonderful to wander around in- you have to get out of the vehicle and WALK there. All kinds of interesting and cool back alleys and streets to explore. Great big slag heaps of coal to climb too- literally right in town.

Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostWed May 12, 2004 3:46 pm 
The cemetery is a mix and match of everything. Each ethnic group or lodge is responsible for the maintenance of their individual areas. Some are well preserved while others are almost overgrown. Very interesting to see the old history. If the museum is open, they can give you much information about the cemetery and area. My scout troop did a service project up there last year trying to clean the Polish area, 1 days work for 20 boys and still much more to do.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed May 12, 2004 10:52 pm 
Like people have said, it's a wonderful place and much worth the time to visit and just roam slowly. The old portions in particular. These flowers were a great revisit for me after equally as splendid fall photography in October there makes it beautiful yet again. I've been around dozens of cemetaries in Eastern Washington the past year....many old ones in Western Washington as well...but none can compare to this one.