Forum Index > Trip Reports > cross-country drive
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wayupthere

wayupthere
PostThu May 13, 2004 3:54 pm 
well i just made the long journey from Washington to Washington D.C.. left Skykomish on Sat. took Route 2 all the way from Sky to St. Ignacious, MI. mostly a two lane road the whole way. very beautiful drive. my favorits spots-- the panhandle of Idaho, Whitefish, MT & Glacier Natl. park, and the upper peninsula of MI. total milege was approx. 3600 miles. took only 5 days. fuel prices definately get cheaper as you head east. i payed $2.23/gal for diesel fuel when i left Sky. never saw diesel fuel over $2.00/gal again. cheapest i saw it was $1.64/gal. Washington definately has some of the highest fuel prices in the country.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 13, 2004 6:42 pm 
Quote:
Washington definately has some of the highest fuel prices in the country
Thank you comrad chairman Locke, and the rest of the Washington state govt.. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 13, 2004 7:13 pm 
It's all relative. Washington State has no income tax. I'm guessing the average resident pays $1000 more in sales/gas tax but saves about $2500 in income tax.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 13, 2004 8:17 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Quote:
Washington definately has some of the highest fuel prices in the country
Thank you comrad chairman Locke, and the rest of the Washington state govt.. TB
You are beyond belief. It's you neo-cons and your oil barons who are ripping the rest of us off, and you have the gaul to slander our governor and our government. Shameful.

Thurston Howell III

Thurston Howell III
PostFri May 14, 2004 1:10 am 
Can you explain how oil barons are to blame for higher gas taxes in WA state? -------------- No one can pull the wool over my eyes. Cashmere maybe, but wool, never

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri May 14, 2004 7:32 am 
Quote:
Thank you comrad chairman Locke, and the rest of the Washington state govt.
Is that a thank you for the great road system in this state? Hey, you checked out Idaho lately? See Tom's point if you still feel the need to complain. And Thurston! You have the same number of posts as Tom. Weird. Our gas tax is higher than some, but surely not the highest.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:03 am 
Our slightly higher gas taxes have nothing to do with our massively higher pump prices. Oil barons, through the magic of unfettered capitalism, are manipulating the supply of gas throughout the far west. If our taxes are 5 cents per gallon more than another state, how does that explain a 10 or 20 cent price difference? (or even more !) Leave it to a neo-con to blame the other side for their own doing. It just points out the inherent dishonesty of conservatism.

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostFri May 14, 2004 9:16 am 
Higher gas prices have many causes from the refinery level to the consumer end user but I don't think one can blame the neo-cons for this particular matter, they have enough to think about trying to walk around with a 800 lb gorilla costume. No question that areas of higher demand, the west coast for example, have higher prices, that's good old capitalism !

Thurston Howell III

Thurston Howell III
PostSat May 15, 2004 1:02 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Our slightly higher gas taxes have nothing to do with our massively higher pump prices. Oil barons, through the magic of unfettered capitalism, are manipulating the supply of gas throughout the far west. If our taxes are 5 cents per gallon more than another state, how does that explain a 10 or 20 cent price difference? (or even more !) Leave it to a neo-con to blame the other side for their own doing. It just points out the inherent dishonesty of conservatism.
The oil barons at the country club insist the massively higher pump prices in the western states have more to do with environmentalists limiting the number of refineries, creating a supply imbalance. Leave it to a neo-lefty to blame the other side for their own doing, they say. Pardon me but can you pass the grey poupon. hmmm.gif

Thirsty Chrysler IV

Thirsty Chrysler IV
PostSat May 15, 2004 1:12 pm 
I guess I need to transfer my last post from Thread Length to here where it will do the most good... biggrin.gif Link on why things are the way they are

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSat May 15, 2004 2:03 pm 
Sorry to continue the deviation of the original intent of this thread, but you parties on the right and the left need to get on the same page. The issue is the difference in fuel prices by region and not the general level of gas prices. Let the battle continue

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat May 15, 2004 3:50 pm 
Another article. Back to the topic, the drive from Salmon to Challis is really nice.

Mikey

Mikey
PostSun May 16, 2004 8:44 am 
As those of you in the petroleum product business know, the gasoline and diesel prices are related to the distribution regions (not merely the cost of the product + transportation). Locally, take a look at the prices in Puget Sound region, Mt Vernon (very near some oil refineries),Tricities area, Spokane, Boise, Helena Montana (there is an oil refinery in Helena), etc. One reason no new oil refineries have been built for many years is that it makes much more economic sense to expand existing refineries than to build new ones. By the way, Shell has announced that their Bakersfield oil refinery in Calif. is to be sold (it is located inland near many oil wells). It appears Shell acquired this refinery in 1998 as mentioned on this website. http://www.piersystem.com/external/index.cfm?cid=336&fuseaction=EXTERNAL.docview&pressID=4172 The acquisition of oil refineries and merger of oil companies in order to control the prices and "increase efficiency and productivity" has been going on for some time (i.e. Chevron - Texaco, Exxon-Mobil, etc.). With regards to environmental influence on diesel and gasoline prices, there is the issue of sulfur in US gasoline and diesel - which apparently is the highest in the world and refineries are (or already have) undergoing modifications to produce lower sulfur content diesel and gasoline. The addition of ethanol and other oxygenates (mbte) supposedly to reduce air pollutant emissions is complicated with the politics of the agricultural lobby (i.e. unfortunately, these so-called cleaner gasolines actually result in no reduction of summertime ozone formation and in some cases make it worse). Yes, I know, this does not have much to to with hiking!!!

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostSun May 16, 2004 11:50 am 
Thanks for the informative article Mikey. Due to worldwide demand for oil, especially from China, the high prices probably will stay around. I'm going to lurk in the background and wait for the reaction from the urban gorilla SUV'ers as they re-evaluate the need for a 4 wheel drive. Then I can move from a Middle Fork wanna be and join the ranks of NW Hiker adventurers.