Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cripple Creek/Tin Cup Joe Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri May 14, 2004 7:42 pm 
I didn’t get to Derrick lake, but I did get to the falls, and are they cool! At the falls I went up an avalanche shoot on the right side until I hit the cliffs (ya, I know the route is up the left side, but that would have meant wet feet). I traversed around the base of the cliff towards the lake, but through in the towel when I came to a big ravine. Actually, I chickened out. I think I really need to find somebody to bushwhack with, as I am sure I could have made it, but I was way out of my comfort zone. Terrain wise that is.
CrippleCrk
CrippleCrk
CrippleCrk1
CrippleCrk1
Cripple2
Cripple2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:09 pm 
That's Tin Cup Joe Falls. And you're right, they are definitely cool! I was up there last fall with Sorefeet and the outflow from Derrick was not anything like you saw. We actually scrambled down into the basin directly below the falls. I can remember the bushwhack thru the vine maple and Devil's Club. Got beat up pretty good, but it was worth it. Glad you had a good trip. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:11 pm 
Definitely much more impressive than when Bushwacker and I went up there last fall. I recall there being a log that can be crossed to get to the trail on the other side of the creek near the smaller tributary waterfall about 500 feet downstream from the big falls on Cripple Creek. Dammit, now I wanna go back up there. Blast the fact that I'll have to settle for three weeks in Yosemite instead. biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:31 pm 
Three weeks in YOS-MITE! What's up with that Mr.? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:32 pm 
Been into Derrick that way four times. Makes for a good trip. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri May 14, 2004 11:02 pm 
Here is how the falls looked on 05Feb1994. In the foreground: two sons, one nephew. All sworn to secrecy--the Moms tend to freak out when details of our recon hikes are divulged.
CrippleCrFlls
CrippleCrFlls

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat May 15, 2004 12:59 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Three weeks in YOS-MITE! What's up with that Mr.? TB
Here's the kicker. I'm getting PAID to go there. Woeisme... suuure.gif hockeygrin.gif I'm working with a photographer who's compiling material for a coffee table book on the world' 100 greatest waterfalls. Not to sound too self important...okay, maybe a little...but they found the right guy.

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostSat May 15, 2004 8:32 am 
You'll have to let us know when it's comming out.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 15, 2004 12:42 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Blast the fact that I'll have to settle for three weeks in Yosemite instead. biggrin.gif
What a bummer. That's too bad. What a shame. Who's gonna mow the lawn? Can you call out sick and stay home? Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun May 16, 2004 12:54 am 
hopalong wrote:
You'll have to let us know when it's comming out.
Don't hold your breath. It's gonna be a while (probably no earlier than fall '05).

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon May 17, 2004 7:20 am 
I love a good waterfall, and this one sure is - thanks for the post. Checked it out ystdy. Had a hankering for a lake too, so looked for a way to Derrick. Decided to cross the creek across a log first (cairn there) but that ain't the way to go as far as I can tell. Bashed our way thru nasty dense underbrush back to the log and crossed back over. We did get some nice views of a second waterfall farther to the left. Headed back upstream & crossed again by wading about 80 yds? from the base of the falls. (Note: Hefty bags do NOT work well as temporary waders, what was I thinking... ) This appears to be the better way to go - traversed up to the left a little, then straight up - id'd a possible route the rest of the way to the lake but just a guess. There was an orange tag up there. Crossed over midway to the other waterfall, then called it a day. Photos just don't do these falls justice smile.gif
TCJFalls
TCJFalls
CrippleCreekCrossing
CrippleCreekCrossing