Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Pugh (Stujack Pass)(5-13)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:50 pm 
It was difficult to do with my all of my ailments engendered from the previous day, but the blue skies lured me out of bed. I heard the mountains calling me ,and I willingly answered. I commenced on a solo mission up the Mt. Loop Highway. Mt. Pugh was tempting me ,so I submitted to temptation. When I reached the parking lot two dogs came meandering down the trail followed by a guy who was also going up the trail. He had done the trail many times before, and had the proper ice equipment. I thought I would seize the opportunity to acquire an extra hiker. The trail was in good shape. There were a couple blow downs, but nothing one couldn't elude. At about a mile in the quaint- blue sky segued into a bright-unattractive overcast. Snow was greeted at about 2.5 miles in. The snow through the forest was hard and easy to saunter through. Pugh then came openly into view and we climbed sideways up the mountain. Unexpectantly a marmot came out of his snow cubby and began to say hello with a series of resounding whistles. He then ran back in and occasionally peeked his head back out. The mountain-side snow was partially soft, but there wasn't enough of it to present an avalanche threat. The pass was reached and we discerned what little views the cumulonimbus clouds would allow. At the pass ,hail began to smack me in the face. We quickly headed back down and gazed at a few patchs of wildflowers getting an early bloom out of the rocks. Amid the trek back thunder and lightning were instigated paranoid.gif We reached the parking area where our cars were getting immersed in rain. So much for the prophesized partly-sunny day. Curse you weather.com mad.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostFri May 14, 2004 10:22 pm 
Just think how much you are going to enjoy some of those perfect summer and fall days to come. Btw, I hope this isn't the first time you realized that ALL weather forecasters are BIG FAT LIARS! biggrin.gif (Sorry Megan)

Trevor

Trevor
PostWed May 19, 2004 9:17 am 
The sun was discerned, which entailed ascending hopes for the day. Enigma offered to come with me to experience Mt. Pugh on a "sunny day" for once. Like the previous time, things looked great to begin with, but quickly we learned that this was a deception. The early portions of the hike were satisfying. We were continuously commenting on the ideal temperature evident and the sun that was being distributed through the trees. By the time we arrived at Lake Metan we had more to complain about. A complete overcast had enshrouded the sky once again, and I was reaquainted with the same thunder and lightning experienced on the last trip. We hiked to the base of pugh. The mountains were not appealing at all. The ones that were visible behind us , had a bluish-hazy tint, and there was a bright-yellow overcast above them. While we were near Pugh, the thunder/lighting was in a closer proximity, and it started to get painfully cold. On the way back it absolutely poured. We were submerged in minutes. I also ripped apart my favorite pair of shorts while crossing one of the blow downs. We were left wondering, once again, what had happened to the mid 70s weather we began with? I am also questioning how many trips it will take up this trail until I can see the mountains in all their glory?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 19, 2004 9:32 am 
well you guys were kinda in the rain capital of the cascades as well. partly cloudy anywhere else means cloudy and raining in that area!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed May 19, 2004 9:55 am 
It was a predicted mostly sunny for the entirety of the day in the Darrington area, and when we got there after the trip it was completely cloudy and had been raining. Trust no one. huh.gif

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostWed May 19, 2004 10:47 am 
Did you plan to go all the way up to Mt. Pugh? Did it look doable? I might trek up there this weekend, but i'd like to get to the summit, if possible.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu May 20, 2004 8:45 am 
Chris, while I was at Stujack the prior time, the summit looked accessible with the proper ice gear. There is still a plenitude of snow to the top, and there is quite an ascension from Stujack to the summit.