Forum Index > Trip Reports > Packwood Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 16, 2004 7:07 pm 
Thanks mucho to Slugman and FrankM3 for all their help in my planning up.gif Besides the weather changing late on friday night, we had a pretty good trip for my 5th backpacking trip this year wink.gif This was our monthly "big" PNWH trip, and even with the rain, we had a great turnout. Even with that said rain, the trail in was a breeze and we had lunch at the ranger station, and met up with more of our group. Sluggy, we did take that awesome spot you mentioned-halfway down the lake, right over the wilderness boundary. Besides our group and some dayhikers there was no one else out there. Very nice! All snow is gone, the lake is up high. A couple of the ladies went up towards Mosquito Lake and missed it by maybe 1/2 a mile or less due to being late. Rainrunner said there isn't much snow up there to deal with. Attending was: Rainrunner, me, Ford, 8thHill, Dicentra, The_Turtle, Zoe the dog, Wrangler the dog, Rudy the dog, Foggydew, JenniEL, Ridgescrambler, Wanderin and her son, Durante616, Ciyd01, and Crazyjake. Thanks Ridgescrambler for bringing salad and the fixins! That was sooo good! I noticed I didn't have to haul any fudge out at least! biggrin.gif And that fajiata burrito was very tasty at the mexican place in Morton....a bunch of slowpoke packers had a tasty lunch at Plaza Jalisco-which took me a little to realize that why I recognized the sign, was that Forks has one there.... Photos at: http://community.webshots.com/album/143620616LOcJir

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun May 16, 2004 7:29 pm 
Another great trip!! And just what I needed. The rain wasn't as bad as I was expecting... It could have been much worse. Next time I am bringing my own tent though... sharing with Turtle and Zoe was a pain. tongue.gif Its good to see the ranks growing with some new faces. smile.gif Oh... and the FUDGE... YUM!!! That got inhaled quick! lol. biggrin.gif Thanks again Posse! 2 weeks till the next one! agree.gif agree.gif My pics are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/143625867VPZRDj

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostSun May 16, 2004 7:51 pm 
Wow -- I walked right past your group on my way back from Mosquito Lake. Sure looked like you were having a great time, wish I had stopped to say "hello."

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 16, 2004 7:58 pm 
Hey, doeesnt that lake have a big island on it? You guys should have stayed out there. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 16, 2004 8:13 pm 
Next time I'll steal the boat from the cabin and row out there biggrin.gif hehheh!! Goat! Too bad you didn't-you missed some good fudge biggrin.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 16, 2004 8:21 pm 
PS: Old Goat, when did you pass us? Were you the one in the rain on the trail out? Or did you pass us as we were having lunch? smile.gif

ridgescrambler

ridgescrambler
PostSun May 16, 2004 8:21 pm 
hey there gang - thanks for the fun yesterday - hope some of you are feeling better today smile.gif Despite the rain - great day - the water on the lake was so very awesome this morning - just wish I had lugged in a canoe....see ya out there again I am sure!

Go to the mountains - for only there are you truly free......
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 16, 2004 8:22 pm 
RS-we saw a ton of loons on the water this morning-just gorgeous!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun May 16, 2004 9:29 pm 
the lake first thing in the morning was pretty amazing... mirrorlike with clouds/fog in the trees. purty. smile.gif winksmile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 16, 2004 9:33 pm 
Loons on Packwood in May. Tres Cool.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
durante

durante
PostMon May 17, 2004 12:30 pm 
howdy, folks! Packwood Lake was a great time. That was the first group hike I had done and it was a lot more fun than I had expected. All of you are great people and I can't wait for the next trip. Sarbar....your fudge was awsome and Senior Grabby Hands is one cool little dude (even though he thinks my sleeve serves as a fine substitute for a snot rag). Crazyjake....thanks for the "sippin' whiskey". I think I may have done more gulping than sipping but.....no worries. The next one is on me. For the three T's....you girls are an awsome bunch and I hope to hike with you again soon. RidgeScrambler....thanks to you....on my next overnighter...I'm bringin' a fat-ass steak. I'm tired of Lipton Noodles and Sauce....blech! And to all the rest...thanks for making a newbie feel welcome in the group.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 17, 2004 12:46 pm 
Durante! It was nice meeting you smile.gif And I totally agree about the meat...man, was RS living it up! A fresh cooked pork chop!! I realized I am spending too much time obbseing about pack weight and not enough about camp food biggrin.gif

ciyd

ciyd
PostMon May 17, 2004 1:20 pm 
A great time! It was great meeting all of you. You made a newbie feel really welcome. The fudge was great and Senor Grabbyhands is pretty handy to have around when you're pumping water. I see I'm not the only one to have gotten pictures of the Calypso Orchids. The lake was gorgeous in the morning and the hike out was really nice. I was probably about 15 minutes behind you the whole way, but I stopped to get some nice photos so there was no chance of catching up with ya'll. Looking forward to the next trip. ciyd

foggy

foggy
PostMon May 17, 2004 2:36 pm 
Hey how's turtles head?
Hey how's the_turtles head? my tooth is killing me....... waah.gif
ridgescrambler wrote:
hey there gang -- hope some of you are feeling better today smile.gif
paranoid.gif are you talking to me????? tongue.gif I had a terrific time......Not so good coming out Sunday morning tho'.....Gatorade, miracle in a bottle....great for hangovers!!!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 17, 2004 3:08 pm 
So how again did you two collide??? I hope you are feeling better, woman!