Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mason Lake - Mt. Defiance - 5/15/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostMon May 17, 2004 9:32 am 
The trail to Mason Lake is snow free until the final drop to the lake. The area around the lake is almost entirely snow free. Only a little ice remains around the edges of the lake. Snow begins again as you near the Defiance trail intersection. At first the trail was partly bare but soon was entirely snow covered. I followed some footprints that did a good job of staying on the trail as verified by occasional cut logs. The north side of Defiance has plenty of snow still. Once on the ridge it thinned. The southeast side has tree cover and is still snow covered. Once I made it out of the trees on the south side the trail was mostly bare. There were still 3 or 4 small snow fields to cross. A few glacier lilies are the only flowers in bloom so far. The summit spur is clear about half way then it's back on snow to the top. I had high clouds in the morning but by the time I reached the summit there were no views. On the positive side I could not see the highway directly below either. Snowshoes were not needed as the snow was very compacted. I only had a couple of crotch deep post holes. An ice axe was helpful while traversing the steeper slopes. The new Mason Lake trail should be the template for future construction. It is just an honest to goodness dirt trail. No steps, no gravel, and waterbars only where needed. I love it. Kudos to the builders and designers. The Mason Lake trail is open for business but those uncomfortable on semi steep snow should wait a few more weeks to tackle Mt. Defiance. Photos have been posted at: Mason Lake - Mt. Defiance
Mason Lake Trail
Mason Lake Trail
Mason Lake
Mason Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message