Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 7:08 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Quote:
It is likely the Cascades would have been logged to treeline without the efforts of Manning, and the Springs
I think that is correct. I also think the guide books have reallyhelped create a better wilderness ethos. There are alot of people applying the take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints philosphy.
Maybe I'll give you that. And if so we owe them thanks. The trouble is that since the adoption of the wilderness areas their books have become a liability to that which they protest to love. There is no question in my mind, no question at all that those books have been the major factor in the over use of the Alpine Lakes. So maybe Mal is correct in that if they hadnt written them someone would. That isnt the point. The point is that the books are and have been a serious liability to the Alpine Lakes.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
oosik

oosik
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 7:55 pm 
With the hikes series, there used to be only one book for the whole state as published by the Mountaineers. As such it had the effect equivalent to a "best of" type of guidebook in that it concentrated people on routes specifically mentioned in the guidebook. I think some of the inspiration may well have been derived from the photo books that the Sierra Club were using to aid in the sort of "green advocacy" needed to get some of the wilderness areas and North Cascade Park set aside. Somewhere along the way, the authors and likely the Mountaineers too recognized the concentration power the limited number of hikes mentioned in only one book. They then took the debatable tactic of sub-dividing the region and publishing more books. They since have sub-divided those books even more. The premise is that by listing many places, the hope is that the impact is spread to multiple places with less impact being directed at any one particular place. It may have instead just made it such that everywhere now has people. The Beckey guides have had an impact on use patterns, though probably the most noticeable rate of change results in the first few years after publication. The intersection of mention in the Beckey guide and a few years later the publication of 50 Classic Climbs resulted in the increased use in Boston Basin that produced the camping restrictions we see today. Beckey's guides after all three came out were pretty exhaustive, but you could usually tell when Fred liked a route by the text (often written glowingly when it was a route on which he did the first ascent). The folks that gravitated to particular routes often found out about them by looking for the minute details in the book, but often were reinforced by word-of-mouth or the mentor ethic. Now that trend of trying to spread folks out by completeness is reversed with "Best Of" or "Selected Climbs" books. Those type of books, I think, have a greater impact now since folks use them as a "hit list" to the exclusion of the other routes that the more complete Beckey guides provide.

PostTue Jul 05, 2005 9:03 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
polarbear wrote:
Quote:
It is likely the Cascades would have been logged to treeline without the efforts of Manning, and the Springs
I think that is correct. I also think the guide books have reallyhelped create a better wilderness ethos. There are alot of people applying the take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints philosphy.
Maybe I'll give you that. And if so we owe them thanks. The trouble is that since the adoption of the wilderness areas their books have become a liability to that which they protest to love. There is no question in my mind, no question at all that those books have been the major factor in the over use of the Alpine Lakes. So maybe Mal is correct in that if they hadnt written them someone would. That isnt the point. The point is that the books are and have been a serious liability to the Alpine Lakes.
Some places are Loved to Death. The preservationists of old wrote glowing accounts of rare beauty in need of protection. But many read their accounts and followed causing a new and different impact. The impact is unfortunate - but far better than the alternative.

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 3:38 pm 
I guess these areas could have been overused but at least been infused with some semblance of protection OR they could have never been exposed and eventually logged because no one knew about them nor cared enough to offer them any protection. Backpacker I truly don't get your logic.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 3:42 pm 
newdawnfades wrote:
I guess these areas could have been overused but at least been infused with some semblance of protection OR they could have never been exposed and eventually logged because no one knew about them nor cared enough to offer them any protection. Backpacker I truly don't get your logic.
What isnt to get? I think it's perfectly clear. The user guides have contributed to the over use and in some cases destruction of these areas. Simple. Im not saying the people who wrote them are bad, Im saying that the guides themselves are bad.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 4:00 pm 
Well you are obviously looking at it one-sided. People hike in those places because they are beautiful and they obviously have an innate desire to preserve those places, even if their overuse does cause damage. Exposure almost always leads to protective measures. Not the case with areas run down by loggers or developers who can swoop into an area and do what they will because there was absolutely NO exposure and ensuing protection. I hope you get that.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 4:37 pm 
Yes fine but once those protective measures have taken place (wilderness areas designated decades ago) the books have zero positive effect on that environment. In fact they then lead and contribute to its demise!!! I hope you get that. Oh, and stop flipping me off already! moon.gif

Guiran

Guiran
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 4:42 pm 
What makes Wilderness designations set in stone?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 4:56 pm 
I have never seen an area "destroyed" by overexposure.Social trails, fire rings, bare camps sites, yes but not destroyed. If an area is logged or strip mined however, it is destroyed. Yes I know the trees will grow back but I do not have 100 years to spend slashing though new growth.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 5:02 pm 
Ok maybe that was extreme, but the point still stands. The books are not a positive thing in the life of Washington State high lakes.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 6:45 pm 
Fred's brother, Helmy, enjoyed singing and relocated to Germany a number of years ago for professional opera singing. Fred's mother also was an operatic singer.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 7:09 pm 
Places will be discoverd, guide books will be written, people will seek adventure, that's just the way people are. After the first explorers (or second or whatever number they were) found America, they came back with.... doh.gif ...maps! And more people followed, and better maps were made, and then more and them...pretty soon people were living in Seattle, and then...people started exploring local mountains....and then...guide books were written. I'm must glad the guide books were written by the Springs and Harvey and Fred Beckey, because they did a good job and they never said any thing like "10 feet from the bank of Lake Rabble is a minor depression in Earth, a perfect place for leaving your garbage behind and lighten your pack for the return trip." Read the front sections of all the guide books. There is a plethora of tips on minimizing your impact. By doing things right and promoting a good example, a multitude of people can see these places and they can stay relatively pristine. I think the overall impact of the guide books has been positive. More people enjoy the wilderness, they put on great slide shows, they post great photos and trip reports, they eat tasty mountain fish, they get to live on the edge hoping no one will discover their secret place. Everyone benefits.
Map of America, 1562 smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif up.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif smile.gif smile.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif Map of a Mountain, 2005

mike

mike
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 7:49 pm 
Quote:
... Im saying that the guides themselves are bad...
Come on, the books are just information. Information in and of itself is neither good nor bad, it just is. It's what you do with it that counts. Frankly I think wilderness needs all the supporters it can get and if people get out and experience it they'll be more supportive. The biggest danger to the favorite camping sites is the fact that people breed like rabbits and are using up all the resources..

PostWed Jul 06, 2005 8:30 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ok maybe that was extreme, but the point still stands. The books are not a positive thing in the life of Washington State high lakes.
Nearly every guidebook, especially the 100 Hikes series, have extensive sections on wilderness ethics, water purity, history, etc. To suggest that there is nothing currently positive in guidebooks is just flat wrong. I agree that places like this have received excessive usage because of glowing descriptions written in guidebooks. But like just about everything, it isn't all one way or another. If a newbie buys a guidebook and has the time of their life at the Robins - isn't that a good thing? Or would it be better if they watched the fireworks on the TeeVee?

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 pm 
BPJ just a couple of questions not an attack. Do you own guide books? Do you use them? How did you learn of all these places you love so dearly? Do you only use maps and this forum? How did you learn about preservation from books, family, hunting trips, or all? I know most of the stuff you do is not in guide books but you had to start somewhere. on one hand I see your point (a little). On the other hand it is not the guide books that create these problems. If anything it is the opposite. They all inform you of how to help in preservation while enjoying the places you love so much. I personally think guide books are one of the main resources for educating the public about preservation and care for our beloved mountains. smile.gif