Forum Index > Gear Talk > why does rei suck so bad sometimes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed May 19, 2004 3:36 pm 
TJ's
Cause in Calley it's $1.99. The name just stuck. agree.gif Up here I guess it would be 3 Buck Chuck. confused.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed May 19, 2004 6:56 pm 
So if you guys browse for stuff online at rei.com, why not mail order it and have it sent to your local store? Then you can go get it, look at it, buy it if you like it, and not pay any shipping? Worst thing is you look at it and decide not to buy it, no big. Or even better, spend your money at your local independant retailer.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostWed May 19, 2004 8:08 pm 
marylou wrote:
So if you guys browse for stuff online at rei.com, why not mail order it and have it sent to your local store? Then you can go get it, look at it, buy it if you like it, and not pay any shipping? Worst thing is you look at it and decide not to buy it, no big.
Got my JetBoil stove that way. up.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed May 19, 2004 10:51 pm 
PAP wrote:
marylou wrote:
So if you guys browse for stuff online at rei.com, why not mail order it and have it sent to your local store? Then you can go get it, look at it, buy it if you like it, and not pay any shipping? Worst thing is you look at it and decide not to buy it, no big.
Got my JetBoil stove that way. up.gif
the odd thing was that the tukwila store has 6 jetboils out on the floor and 1 on display.....

Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostWed May 19, 2004 11:27 pm 
I had an interesting experience with the REI rental department in February. Our church youth group was heading over to Cle Elum, and we wanted to do some snowshoeing. I called the Bellingham store about rentals (closest to me), they quoted me a great price, but they didn't have enough shoes available on the weekend I wanted. So, I booked at Lynnwood instead assuming the same price at REI locations. Wrong! Of course I didn't discover this until after paying and halfway to Cle Elum! I made it point ask when returning the rentals. The guy at the counter thought I was nuts when I told the price that Bellingham had quoted me. I made him call Bellingham, who confirmed my great price. Of course, they made no effort to credit the difference. I filled out a complaint card, and have yet to hear back. rant.gif

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu May 20, 2004 7:00 am 
marylou wrote:
So if you guys browse for stuff online at rei.com, why not mail order it and have it sent to your local store? <SNIP> Or even better, spend your money at your local independant retailer.
Glad to see you threw that last line in there, ML, because it almost started sounding like you were sorta endorsing REI. I remember waaaay back when. doh.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu May 20, 2004 8:57 am 
REI
When I by stuff I shop Sierra Trading Post and Campmor. Better selection, much better prices. Also Mountain Gear in Spokane has GOOD stuff with no shipping charges agree.gif .

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
frankm3

frankm3
PostThu May 20, 2004 9:13 am 
Can one of you guys answer a question for a non-native west coaster? What is "Two-Buck Chuck"? -and- PAP- what do you think of the jetboil stove? Meanwhile, back on the ranch.... Most times if I feel it is something I don't need to 'see or touch' before buying it, I do use the in-store pickup. If it's expensive; like a new pack; I definitely needed to check that out first. I spent two hours at the REI downtown checking out packs, the one I ultimately bought was at Feathered Friends. I didn't even consider going to a satellite location knowing there'd be less of a selection. This is what I wound up getting, FWIW BD Shadow 55 With the addition of their small BBE daypack, I am all set for long trips at under 4 lbs.

PostThu May 20, 2004 10:30 am 
frankm3 wrote:
What is "Two-Buck Chuck"? Charles Shaw wine sold at Trader Joes. Sold in CA for 2 bucks, here for 3. -and- PAP- what do you think of the jetboil stove? I think it will be great for light weight packing. Another pot would be needed if someone wants to actually cook something as opposed to just boil water. Haven't backpacked with it yet, but it seems to work well.

jacquecashier

jacquecashier
PostThu May 20, 2004 4:01 pm 
I don't see what your big problem with REI is. If they don't have something in Stock, they'll ship it to any REI for free. I don't see the big deal to wait a week to get what you want. REI has the best prices and selections on most general outdoor things.Marmot stuff isn't cheaper at the Marmot store and the internet discount places only have great prices on the off chance you find something. It's not like REI doesn't give out enough 20% off coupons to members or all the stuff that's constantly on sale. And as for rental prices, they are the same at every store. They are standardized. if any REI said otherwise than one of the employees must have made a mistake in the package rented or something. We aren't perfect.

jacquecashier

jacquecashier
PostThu May 20, 2004 4:04 pm 
they also bend over backwards and take a lot of sh## from customers. If you have a problem, Any manager will undoubtably cave in to almost any demand that a customer makes, as long as it isn't dividend related (REI's dividends must expire to keep Co-op status with the IRS).

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu May 20, 2004 4:52 pm 
The thing is, alot of us remember when REI was primarily a gear store, and they catered more to climbers and backpackers than to car campers and day hikers. Last time I was there I saw all sorts of sarong-type skirts and very pretty cotton sweaters that would go nicely with the strappy leather sandals they were selling. A lot of what you are seeing, jacquecashier, is that we miss the old coop. I realize that markets change and that the reason REI carries all those clothes is that they sell. REI won't stay in business if they don't sell lots of what people want to buy. That doesn't change the fact that I miss what REI used to be.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic

Anne Elk
Duncan

Duncan
PostThu May 20, 2004 6:01 pm 
I hear you jenjen, I miss the days of yore where REI is concerned.....

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 20, 2004 6:37 pm 
i was at the Seattle REI once and wanted a pair of gloves. They didn't have my size. No big deal as I would swing by the Lynnwoodie store on the way home. They had em, but cost more. I asked about it, they called and I got the cheaper price. I also ordered some sandals once. I went to pick them up and they were 2 different sizes. They reordered and they were 2 left feet. Tried once more and finally got what I want. What a waste of time for me. I once was looking for help with base layers and when the dude asked what I wanted he sent me to the ski dept. They laughed and sent me back where I was. Exactly where I was standing. From that point on, I ask for no help. As dumb as I am, I know that much. I bought a stove once that had tape on it. I asked if there was something wrong with it and was told if there was it wouldn't be on the shelf. When I got home and was trying it out with different fuels I found that I had 2 jets the same. I took it back and was told it shouldn't have been on the shelf. Da. I know what I want before I go in now. Just pick-n-pay-n-good day. They do have some sweeties workin there tho. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostThu May 20, 2004 9:07 pm 
A lot of people... wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that I miss what REI used to be.
So... what would be involved in starting a new co-op, reminiscient of what REI used to be?