Forum Index > Gear Talk > why does rei suck so bad sometimes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm 
23 pages bashing REI... lol.gif I've never had any trouble returning anything I was unsatisfied with there. I've bought there and sometimes paid a little more (GPS comes to mind) for just that reason.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm 
mtngirl79 wrote:
like LED Christmas lights???

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
The satisfaction policy is pretty open to interpretation, I would say - how do you measure 'satisfaction' for each individual customer, and establish a guideline that can be applied to every customer?
Exactly, and in that respect it is NOT open to interpretation. Bottom line is, they'll take anything back for any reason, good or bad. So will Nordstrom. These companies have figured out that the goodwill engendered by their excellent service brings them repeat customers despite their slightly higher prices and new customers due to good word of mouth. ...
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
She practically insisted that I bring the trashed pack in for full credit towards a new one.
Doppelganger wrote:
Until the cashier appealed to your sensibilities! I guess I wouldn't have turned her down after the repeated urgings, since they offered to do the exchange!
I have only my conscience to answer for, and despite her urgings I just didn't feel right about bringing back a legitimately worn out item for exchange. I was satisfied, and happily payed for a new one.
Doppelganger wrote:
However, I definitely wouldn't bring in a piece of equipment after I had gotten my money's worth out of it and expect to return it or exchange it. I paid for it, used it, it did what I asked of it, and when it's time for a new one I will pony up the cash.
Exactly. See above paragraph.
Doppelganger wrote:
Pretty subjective topic.
Only in the sense that everything's relative.
Doppelganger wrote:
Am I a sucker? Am I too old fashioned? There's no discernible benefit to anyone by 'doing the right thing',
Only you can answer that question for yourself, but if you're asking my opinion then the answer is that you are not a sucker and there's no such thing as "too old fashioned" when it comes to good character.
Doppelganger wrote:
the karma fairy isn't going to sprinkle her little karma droppings on my pillow.
The way you say that makes me think that "karma droppings" are way down the list of things I want on my pillow.
Doppelganger wrote:
Indeed, REI likely makes enough money that when there is discussion of revamping the "100% satisfaction" return policy it's decided that they can eat the losses from the small percentage of customers who may abuse the policy.
Yep. See above. Still, it's people like you and me, and everyone else with a conscience and some common sense that allow them to continue this policy. If everyone henceforth decided that every item they purchase from REI will be exchanged for a new one when it finally wears out, they wouldn't be able to keep doing it. So, in that sense we're suckers because we're subsidizing the unscrupulous, but we're also bringing a benefit to ourselves in that REI can continue to offer a guarantee that may benefit us on occasion. Like the time I bought a pair of boots that felt fine when I wore them around the store but gave me a blister on my heel after a couple miles of hiking up a steep trail. I took them back after that one hike and got a different pair of boots that fit better. REI probably sold them in the gear garage for 70% of their cost new as they were still in great shape. In the end they ended up selling a pair of boots for 30% off retail that they do NOT have to guarantee (the guarantee doesn't apply to garage items), and got full payment for another pair of boots, so not really a bad deal for them.

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm 
So what do you all consider an appropriate time of return for gear (not trashed stuff.) I ask because I have a BA sleeping pad that won't hold air anymore (no obvious leak I can find.) I bought it 3 years ago, but it's only been used maybe 10 times. I keep going back and forth of returning it to REI or returning it to BA. Secretly, I would rather return it to REI and put the money towards a better pad but...

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
funkycamper

funkycamper
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 pm 
tigermn wrote:
23 pages bashing REI... lol.gif I've never had any trouble returning anything I was unsatisfied with there. I've bought there and sometimes paid a little more (GPS comes to mind) for just that reason.
up.gif Yup, this x 1000!

TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostThu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 pm 
I have been happy with REI. But I very rarely shop there anymore, because I have everything that I need, and it is all still working. When my hubby & I were living in the Chicago suburbs, we would go to the Schaumburg REI once every couple of weeks so that we could bask in the scent of Gortex and pretend that we were back home in Seattle!

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am 
Complain just to complain or? REI has always treated me right.REI....don't listen to them haters. Sure the seams on some pants or packs pull out.That comes with wear.I know I could return them,but that wouldn't be honest.Returns should be for defects not age.... And it's not like I can't thread a needle.

AR

AR
PostMon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 pm 
"snow peak giga power" ...Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
JimH

JimH
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 pm 
REI 100% return guarantee is bogus. If you buy online, and the item is defective, they will credit you for the item, minus shipping and tax, and they will not reimburse you for the return shipping, even after promising to do so. They will not replace the item. Ever. That is how returns work at REI. You have to buy it again to get a replacement, but the credit you got back, even with free shipping, still won't be enough to replace the defective item, I found. You still have to pull out that credit card and pay some more. So you are hit with double shipping charges and tax, just to replace a defective item. The real kicker, is the claim of 100% return guarantee. Sorry, I told my story many times, only to fall on deaf ears and get the same policies repeated back to me.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 pm 
JimH wrote:
they will credit you for the item, minus shipping and tax, and they will not reimburse you for the return shipping
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the defective product? Many times, the manufacturer will pay for the full replacement. Working with some manufacturers, I have found out they want their hands on the defective product to find out what went wrong to avoid manufacturing mistakes or even shipping/handling mistakes. REI is only the retailer...unless of course...it is an REI Brand product.

Art is an adventure.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 pm 
The sale price guarantee is also a joke, it is only for 10 days. I tried to get a credit for a birthday gift that went on sale two weeks after it was bought, no dice huh.gif . Nordys does it anytime. So I told them I was not satisfied and got a full credit. But now that is on my permanent record, ooooooooo.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 pm 
Oh man, how did I miss an REI sucks thread? Check out the great mounting job REI did on my first pair of touring skis a few years back...

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:08 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the defective product? Many times, the manufacturer will pay for the full replacement. Working with some manufacturers, I have found out they want their hands on the defective product to find out what went wrong to avoid manufacturing mistakes or even shipping/handling mistakes. REI is only the retailer...unless of course...it is an REI Brand product.
You are missing the point. The premium jacked-up price you buy things for at REI is supposed to be justified by their amazing no-hassle warranty. That is not happening anymore, but the prices are if anything even higher than other sources now. I used to buy over priced items at REI on that basis, but now I find I can rarely justify paying a LOT more, just to get a 10% store credit back in a year. I have known several people that have made a habit out of abusing REI's no-questions-asked lifetime guarantee, back when they had it. I will say I am a bit irritated that they are likely a large part of the reason REI gave up that policy.

friluftsliv
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:23 pm 
I really miss Marmot frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 pm 
I never got around to checking out Marmot when it was still open but I hear they were great. I'm a big fan of Pro Ski and Mountain Service in North Bend. Unlike the annoying REI sales people, Martin Volken (owner) really knows his stuff.