Forum Index > Gear Talk > why does rei suck so bad sometimes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 am 
It really is sad to see what REI has become but I guess outdoor fashion and "glamping" equipment is where it's at. Small stores with knowledgeable staff are fewer and fewer these days and we should support them anytime we can.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimH

JimH
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 am 
Thank's for the advice. I have now contacted the manufacturer, and related my story. The product was a solar charged inflatable light that stopped holding a charger after about 40 uses.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am 
Jeff wrote:
I remember calling them up for my first pair. "Do you guys mount dynafits?" "Oh maaaann, that's....that's a really good question" I had marmot mount them.
I mount my ski bindings and those of a dozen buds. I would never let someone else drill my skis. (I've seen crooked mounts and spinners out of the best shops mentioned on this thread. Long ago I was a shop rat, a good one, and I know what can happen when a shop rat has 3 dozen pairs of skis to mount and only 2 hours left in the work day.)

hbb

hbb
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I mount my ski bindings and those of a dozen buds. I would never let someone else drill my skis.
Same here. Dynafit mounts are pretty straightforward. I did my first one at my kitchen table, and the only tool I had to acquire was a specialized drill bit that cost about $6.00. If you want something done right . . .

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:30 pm 
A #12 ABS tap is a nice thing to have for DIY ski mounts.

huron

huron
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm 
It used to be that they would annoy you with "are you a member?" That has now been replaced by stalking you around the store with a security style headphone on. Creeps me out. Used to spend more money there than any other retailer but don't go there anymore at all. Are you finding everything? Are you finding everything? Are you finding everything? Yes, I know where the door is. Goodbye.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 am 
I've noticed a lot of stores going to radios and ear pieces, nothing to do with security, it is to avoid pages over the intercom system.

cartman

cartman
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:49 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
the return of the garage sale is just about the only reason to head to an REI store these days.
Yep.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 pm 
Went to the Bellevue Garage Sale yesterday and walked out with empty hands. Everything was way expensive. Was looking for ski goggles and saw a pair for $110.83 with scratched lens shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 1:03 am 
The large display of Yeti brand items at REI is a indicator of the market they are trying to sell to these days. $300 for a weekend sized car camping cooler. Outfitting Amazon Bros for Glamping has got be insanely more profitable than selling to Seattle born and raised dirtbag climbers.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am 
My REI gripe: Lost my DriClime wind shirt somewhere.....went to go get another one. REI drones say "they don't make them anymore". Oh, ok, so get something else that accomplishes the function*. Liars. Reality: REI doesn't stock them any more, choosing to stock other types of wind block layers. Not only that, Marmot has a hooded version that REI never stocked, near as I can tell. IMO, one of the best pieces of gear of all time and REI won't stock it.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The large display of Yeti brand items at REI is a indicator of the market they are trying to sell to these days. $300 for a weekend sized car camping cooler.
I think that observation is funny, funny as in probably way off-base. They sell Yeti coolers and stuff at Swains in Port Angeles. They sell Yeti stuff at the Toyota dealership in Bremerton where we got our Scion. I have even seen Yeti coolers sold in gas stations. I haven't been to Forks Outfitters in a while, but it would not surprise me if they sold them as well.
RandyHiker wrote:
Outfitting Amazon Bros for Glamping has got be insanely more profitable than selling to Seattle born and raised dirtbag climbers.
Duh! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
JimH

JimH
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 3:17 pm 
I'm happy to report that the manufacturer declared their product had a 1 year warranty, and sent me a replacement. Then, REI finally gave me a large enough credit ($11) that I was also able to buy a replacement, although it took many interactions with them to get this. They should have done this originally instead of causing all the headaches and bad blood, but now all has been resolved. I wanted to give a kudos to MPOWERD, who replaced my item without me even asking, the first time they heard my story about what happened with REI.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 3:27 pm 
The feed store/outdoor store sells Yeti stuff. They even have a nice pink cooler and accessories. I bought some really good insulated tumblers for cheap at the Walmarche. Handles are sold separately. I are a glamper now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm 
Your both right. Makes sense to focus on people who have money. It's a business, not a coop. I mean, it's a cooperative that maximizes profits, i.e. a business. dizzy.gif