Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bald Eagle trail to Curry Gap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 19, 2004 12:18 am 
I left Lynnwood at noon Monday with Daisy for some car camping and hiking. It was hot and sunny until past Arlington, then it turned cloudy by Darrington, then hard rain south of Darrington, but sunny again at FS Rd 49. The campsites at Sloan Creek trailhead didn't thrill me, so I headed up FS rd 4920 towards Bowser creek. The road is very rough in spots, but passable, barely. There is snow blocking the road just past the bridge over Sloan creek at 3,041 ft. The (only) campsite right in the elbow of the road looked nice, so we edged the car down the precarious entry road and set up camp. I sleep in the back of the car, so that was easy. I played with the dog in some snow patches, waited out a short rain in the car, then started the charcoal for dinner. Some nasty thunderstorms moved in, so I retreated to the car agian to eat dinner, sacrificing my not-yet-done corn to the thunder gods. By the time the lightning stopped, the corn was toast. Oh, well, the tri-tip and roasted veggies and chicken shish kabob were great. A tarp I had strung protected the coals from the torrential downpour, so I threw on all the wood I had brought with me, and had one regulation bon-type fire. Daisy and I hit the sack early, curled up safe and sound on our comfy futon surrounded by cougar-proof steel. Tuesday morning we got up at 7:30 and were on the trail at 10:30. I like a leisurely breakfast and coffee, and I had to stash my car-camping stuff in the woods and other chores. The weather was perfect, but more thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon. We took our time getting up the abandoned road portion of the hike, stopping for plenty of pictures of Kyes peak, Monte Cristo peak, Cadet peak and their glaciers. There were also numerous waterfalls, some quite nice and really flowing strong. One would make a perfect shower and is easily accesible from the trail. Eventually the old road ends and a trail heads up the unnamed creek to Curry gap. There were snow patches, but no problems. Blowdowns were few and easily navigated, and the copious brush has mostly not yet leafed out. The snow started in earnest just before the gap, getting to six feet deep by 3,800 ft or so. There were enough cut logs and blazes to follow the trail OK. Just as we reached Curry gap at 3 pm, the thunderstorms returned with plenty more lightning and rain. We bailed after just ten minutes at the gap. We made it back in just two hours of steady hiking plus 1/2 hour of rest and picture taking to go the 3 1/2 miles back to the car. Then we drove up to a nice viewpoint about 1/2 way up the Bowser creek road and watched the lightning play about the peaks. The weather turned great again just before Darrington on the drive home. Trip stats: 7.5 miles RT, 1,600 VF. Great views, raging creeks, waterfalls, glaciers, peaks, interesting weather. up.gif Here are a couple of pictures.
Monte cristo glaciers
Monte cristo glaciers
Still snow at 3800 ft
Still snow at 3800 ft
Cadet peak
Cadet peak

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostWed May 19, 2004 6:13 am 
Entertaining as ususal! up.gif Pic labeled Cadet is Sloan.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 19, 2004 8:18 am 
doh.gif That's why I stink at "Name That..." whatever. I can't even name my own pictures! Thanks, Pap.